Something To Look Forward To In April

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/education/article/0,1299,DRMN_957_4561140,00.html

David Horowitz accepts call to debate Churchill in D.C.

By Berny Morson, Rocky Mountain News
March 22, 2006
Author David Horowitz will debate the University of Colorado professor he listed among America's worst academics.

Horowitz and ethnic studies professor Ward Churchill said Tuesday in separate interviews that the idea came from Churchill.

Horowitz has called Churchill's views "absurd on their face" and listed him in a book on professors who he says allow their opinions to dominate their lectures.

But Horowitz also said in a talk at CU that Churchill should not be fired for expressing controversial views.

The debate is scheduled for April 6 at George Washington University in Washington, D.C., Horowitz said. It will be sponsored by Horowitz's Center for the Study of Popular Culture and Young America's Foundation, which bills itself as a conservative group.

A moderator has not been chosen, Horowitz said.

The subject will be whether politics can be - or should be - taken out of the classroom.

Churchill's books and lectures are criticized for being overtly political. Horowitz believes classes should present balanced discussion.

"There's always merit to having a debate. That is the point of the whole (educational) process, putting out opposing viewpoints," Churchill said.

The Los Angeles-based Horowitz said he was in New York this month when he received a phone call from Churchill.

"We had quite a civil exchange," Horowitz said.

Horowitz said the two have met before.

"I've said harsh things about him; he's said harsh things about me," Horowitz said of their relationship.

Churchill dismissed his inclusion in Horowitz's book about America's worst professors.

"He's obviously an expert, never having been in school as near as I can tell," Churchill said.

Horowitz said he expects heavy security, but doubted the debate would get out of hand.

Churchill's work came under scrutiny after a college newspaper publicized an obscure essay of his comparing some victims of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center to Nazi war criminal Adolf Eichmann.

A CU faculty committee is studying whether Churchill should be disciplined for alleged plagiarism and inaccuracies in his published work. Churchill said he has not been told when the report will be finished.

Hope Fox will televise it. I sure would like to attend that debate. Horowitz will shred Churchill like so many pieces of paper. Will have to check Front Page Magazine to see if Horowitz does any articles on it, leading up to or afterwards. Thanks for the information.

Adam's Apple said:
Hope Fox will televise it. I sure would like to attend that debate. Horowitz will shred Churchill like so many pieces of paper. Will have to check Front Page Magazine to see if Horowitz does any articles on it, leading up to or afterwards. Thanks for the information.
My guess would be C-Span or PBS.

I think it's lunacy to give Churchill any opportunity to speak in front of a public forum. Even if a fair assessment shows that Churchill is soundly trounced in a debate, liberals will deny it and use his bs quotes as mantras forever. Horowitz is more interested in achieving personal fame than shutting up traitorous teachers.

dilloduck said:
I think it's lunacy to give Churchill any opportunity to speak in front of a public forum. Even if a fair assessment shows that Churchill is soundly trounced in a debate, liberals will deny it and use his bs quotes as mantras forever. Horowitz is more interested in achieving personal fame than shutting up traitorous teachers.
I disagree, on all counts. Well the libs will lie, but all but the extreme left wing will not buy it.

dilloduck said:
I think it's lunacy to give Churchill any opportunity to speak in front of a public forum.

A public debate such as this will go a long way in exposing Churchill's views to a lot of people who have not taken the time, or had the interest, to really size up this man.

As far as giving the libs an opportunity to use Churchill's words to their advantage, what has Churchill ever said that was even remotely reasonable?

Forum List

Back