Something that bugged me real bad last night

annie52

Rookie
Jun 26, 2009
When Obama was up there bumping his gums as usual, all he talked about was our lousy health care system in the US. We have the best health care in the world and not once did he say anything about all the doctors, nurses and other medical folks and what a great job they do for us. I've seen nurses working double shifts till they were so tired they were about to drop and we have some of the best doctors anywhere and hospitals, etc. and not one time did he mention that. He was too busy talking about how bad it was. Yes, we need something to help fix our health care system but there are a lot of other ways to do it besides what Obama is pushing down our throats. All the illegals for one thing that we are taking care of and if the politicians would cut out all the "pork" like their pet projects that we don't need and start going through and checking on some of this insurance fraud and whatever there are lots of ways to fix the economy and figure this thing out about health care, but he is too busy trying to push his crap as fast as he can. Why not take more time and get it right?

Bullshit ! I dealt with hospitals from Blacksburg....think VA Tech massacre.... to Buffalo to Miami and the scumbags couldn't even treat me for chronic Tachycardia.
$100 grand out of pocket in 12 years.

I come to live in the middle of the " third world" and have not had an episode in 4 years. I didn't even go to a hospital. A pharmacist just laughed out loud and said " take these every day" Yeah. It's not FDA approved.

The health care up there is a horrific joke. I can tell from your avatar you are of the extreme brainwashed. What kind of trailer do you live in ?
Idiots..................

Bullshit ! I dealt with hospitals from Blacksburg....think VA Tech massacre.... to Buffalo to Miami and the scumbags couldn't even treat me for chronic Tachycardia.

I come to live in the middle of the " third world" and have not had an episode in 4 years. I didn't even go to a hospital. A pharmacist just laughed out loud and said " take these every day" Yeah. It's not FDA approved.

The health care up there is a horrific joke. I can tell from your avatar you are of the extreme brainwashed. What kind of trailer do you live in ?
Idiots..................

Good for you. If you're happy where you are, please stay there. The rest of us up here would like that.

Idiots..................
The FDA is a huge part of the problem for America.

Congrats on getting your chronic tachy under control.

When Obama was up there bumping his gums as usual, all he talked about was our lousy health care system in the US. We have the best health care in the world and not once did he say anything about all the doctors, nurses and other medical folks and what a great job they do for us. I've seen nurses working double shifts till they were so tired they were about to drop and we have some of the best doctors anywhere and hospitals, etc. and not one time did he mention that. He was too busy talking about how bad it was. Yes, we need something to help fix our health care system but there are a lot of other ways to do it besides what Obama is pushing down our throats. All the illegals for one thing that we are taking care of and if the politicians would cut out all the "pork" like their pet projects that we don't need and start going through and checking on some of this insurance fraud and whatever there are lots of ways to fix the economy and figure this thing out about health care, but he is too busy trying to push his crap as fast as he can. Why not take more time and get it right?

bumping his gums? how ignorant...though i'm sure you'll get kudos from the other rightwingnuts.

and no...we DON'T have the best health care in the world. We're number 37, just ahead of Slovenia and behind Costa Rica.

The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems

you aren't very well-informed are you?

or do you think faux outrage and propaganda are a good substitute for knowledge?

bumping his gums? how ignorant...though i'm sure you'll get kudos from the other rightwingnuts.

and no...we DON'T have the best health care in the world. We're number 37, just ahead of Slovenia and behind Costa Rica.

or do you think faux outrage and propaganda are a good substitute for knowledge?

so will you be traveling to slovenia or costa rica for you cancer treatments or stanford

Idiots..................

What kind of "trailer" do I live in? Do you not see how stupid that sounded? By the way, my avatar just shows that I love America and am proud of it and I hate to see what obama is trying to do to it.

so will you be traveling to slovenia or costa rica for you cancer treatments or stanford

i pay for my own cancer screening. Thanks. Hopefully will be able to avoid the whole cancer treatment thing. I get back 80% of reasonable and customary... that comes to about $40 back out of about $400.

But do I have to get cancer or go elsewhere because she's a liar? *shrug*

And I'd probably choose Sloan Kettering... but then again, I can do that because I have health coverage.

Last edited:
Part of the problem with U.S. health care, imo, is that doctors in the U.S. tends to focus on the symptoms, rather than the cause; they tend to focus on the part, rather than the whole. Room for tons of improvement in health care, if you ask me. Government running it sure ain't the answer though.

Come on Jillian, even I don't believe those numbers. Our healthcare is the best in the world. That being said, it is not available for everyone, and that is a big part of the problem. And because it is not available to everyone, we suffer especially in the area of preventative care.

It also is costing way too much due to the way it is delivered and paid for. The paperwork involved in billing is beyond stupid. My mother had a heart attack recently, and the combination of billing between Blue Cross Blue Shield and Medicare is an absolute joke. She is currently going through cardiac therapy to strengthen her heart. For every visit for this therapy she receives a total of six separate notices, one being the actual billing and the rest informing her of how everything was billed. And her responsibility is $35, but she needs to receive six pieces of mail informing her of all this. Of course someone needs to spend the time to process all of this paperwork. And all this for an hour and a half of therapy. They're spending more time billing than they are on the treatment.

Seven years ago, the World Health Organization made the first major effort to rank the health systems of 191 nations. France and Italy took the top two spots; the United States was a dismal 37th. More recently, the highly regarded Commonwealth Fund has pioneered in comparing the United States with other advanced nations through surveys of patients and doctors and analysis of other data. Its latest report, issued in May, ranked the United States last or next-to-last compared with five other nations — Australia, Canada, Germany, New Zealand and the United Kingdom — on most measures of performance, including quality of care and access to it. Other comparative studies also put the United States in a relatively bad light.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/opinion/12sun1.html

hate to burst the rah rah america thing with facts but the facts are...we are not the "best" medical system.

Come on Jillian, even I don't believe those numbers. Our healthcare is the best in the world. That being said, it is not available for everyone, and that is a big part of the problem. And because it is not available to everyone, we suffer especially in the area of preventative care.

It also is costing way too much due to the way it is delivered and paid for. The paperwork involved in billing is beyond stupid. My mother had a heart attack recently, and the combination of billing between Blue Cross Blue Shield and Medicare is an absolute joke. She is currently going through cardiac therapy to strengthen her heart. For every visit for this therapy she receives a total of six separate notices, one being the actual billing and the rest informing her of how everything was billed. And her responsibility is $35, but she needs to receive six pieces of mail informing her of all this. Of course someone needs to spend the time to process all of this paperwork. And all this for an hour and a half of therapy. They're spending more time billing than they are on the treatment.

My point, which perhaps wasn't made clearly, is pretty much what you're saying in that that you can be surrounded by the best physicians, best pharmaceuticals and greatest scientific advancements, but if you can't get ACCESS to those things, they essentially don't exist for you... no matter how good you think the practitioners around you are.

Also, even if you focus on just the science of it, we aren't number one any longer...there are countries that put more money and focus into scientific research, particularly in certain areas like spinal injuries or genetic research.

Mostly, the people who are doing the insurance companies' bidding and repeating outright lies and half truths, are busily working against their own interest and our own. There is zero question that when 50% of bankruptcies result from unanticipated medical care, there needs to be a re-working of the system.

why would you people prefer to just keep the best in the world rant up...rather than look at the facts? wouldnt you prefer to try to accept that we are not the best in the world...and try to change it so that we are?

Seven years ago, the World Health Organization made the first major effort to rank the health systems of 191 nations. France and Italy took the top two spots; the United States was a dismal 37th. More recently, the highly regarded Commonwealth Fund has pioneered in comparing the United States with other advanced nations through surveys of patients and doctors and analysis of other data. Its latest report, issued in May, ranked the United States last or next-to-last compared with five other nations — Australia, Canada, Germany, New Zealand and the United Kingdom — on most measures of performance, including quality of care and access to it. Other comparative studies also put the United States in a relatively bad light.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/opinion/12sun1.html

hate to burst the rah rah america thing with facts but the facts are...we are not the "best" medical system.

When one looks at the 'criteria' that WHO used, their announced prejudice of what makes a 'good health care system' one has to wonder how the US didn't score lower than 37:

WHO | World Health Organization Assesses the World's Health Systems

This isn't a ranking of care, it's a ranking of what WHO wants to see. Oh the link will give you the initial problems, have to dig deeper into the links found there to get a better idea on what they were measuring and how they determined how to measure.

okay annie (nun one....) who do you think has the best medical care in the world? if it is the us....please provide something that proves that.....all i am saying...is we are not the best medical system in the world..does that make me less an american or more a realist? you cannot be a solution till you note the problem.

okay annie (nun one....) who do you think has the best medical care in the world? if it is the us....please provide something that proves that.....all i am saying...is we are not the best medical system in the world..does that make me less an american or more a realist? you cannot be a solution till you note the problem.

Not going there Bones, it's not the history teacher's place to rank countries regarding healthcare. However, if one is going to use WHO rankings to argue their preference for a health care plan that will cost trillions of dollars, change both our health care and economy, one better know what the hell they are using to measure and what they ARE measuring.

While I just teach a bit of sociology within middle school social studies, (demographics, statistics, etc.), I have a degree in the subject from University of Chicago, one of, if not the premier university for sociology. I do have a clue to research and following the subject matter being 'measured.' Once you have the criteria, it's not difficult.

Forum List

Back