Something I don't understand...

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Why is it that someone that thinks Communism is okay, or that was a Communist in their youth, is unAmerican? I always thought that Americans enjoyed freedom of expression.

Was I wrong? Should we forbid people that don't toe the party line, Democrat or Republican, from being in government?

That sounds fascist, IMO.

Thoughts?

They won't have a chance of getting most government jobs (competitive pool) with that record as most require a security clearance.

Elected, and unfortunately, appointed positions do not require any clearance.

And, as there is this oath associatated with ALL appointments (elected and competitive), no they should not and will not have a job.

"I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God." (last line optional)

Communists cannot make such an oath; communism is not quite constitutional.

Why is it that someone that thinks Communism is okay, or that was a Communist in their youth, is unAmerican? I always thought that Americans enjoyed freedom of expression.

Was I wrong? Should we forbid people that don't toe the party line, Democrat or Republican, from being in government?

Thoughts?

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks, we are still free to think. Not fascist at all to have an opinion, right?

I think most people have an issue with communists having political power since that is not what America was founded on and most people don't want it going that way. And about being communist as a youth, how do you know they changed? if they were vocal enough about communism in early life to have it noticed, then unless they go through a similar denunciation of it, and follow that by actions then no one will believe them.

I feel compelled to add..I do not agree with communism. But that doesn't change my question.

I feel compelled to add..I do not agree with communism. But that doesn't change my question.

There is a difference between freedom of speech, and trying to use said freedom of speech to turn the Republic into a Communist cesspool.

Thoughts?

Good post Ravi! There is nothing in our Constitution that precludes a "communist" party from participating in our government. In fact, there IS a communist party in the US.

"Known officially as the Communist Party USA (CPUSA), the Communist party was formed in the United States in 1919, two years after the Russian Revolution.

There are also communist parties in many of europe's social democracies. There is often a blurring of the distinction between "communism" the theoretical manifesto, and "communism" as practiced by totalitarian regimes, such as China and the old Soviet Union.

It's "required" to allow that participation if you truly consider yourselves a "free society".

-sensored

Thoughts?

Good post Ravi! There is nothing in our Constitution that precludes a "communist" party from participating in our government. In fact, there IS a communist party in the US.

"Known officially as the Communist Party USA (CPUSA), the Communist party was formed in the United States in 1919, two years after the Russian Revolution.

There are also communist parties in many of europe's social democracies. There is often a blurring of the distinction between "communism" the theoretical manifesto, and "communism" as practiced by totalitarian regimes, such as China and the old Soviet Union.

It's "required" to allow that participation if you truly consider yourselves a "free society".

-sensored

Fortunately, they can't garner enough support to win major elections.
But, they still have the right to try.

Thoughts?
Communism is diametrically opposed to the type of government the USA was founded on and designed to be.

You could not be more 'anti-american' then a communist, as a communist rejects by definition the entire structure of the United States.

A communist who claims to love america may have a love of the land itself, but not the ideal of what America is and has always been, and is in fact an insult to those institutions and practices that make up the core of the United States.

Last edited:

Thoughts?
Communism is diametrically opposed to the type of government the USA was founded on and designed to be.

You could not be more 'anti-american' then a communist, as a communist rejects by definition the entire structure of the United States.

A communist who claims to love america may have a love of the land itself, but not the ideal of what America is and has always been, and is in fact an insult to those institutions and practices that make up the core of the United States.

You're right Xenophon. To be a communist is to be anti-democratic, and it will never have a chance to flourish here. But what makes this country so great (mho) is that they're allowed to exist, irrelevant as they may be.

-s

You sound like Pubic, Xeno.

Communism is an economic system. As such, there is nothing about it that is diametrically opposed to the USA.

Even if it were, so what? Why would you disallow some philosophical viewpoints and not others?

Nonsense.

Communism is an economic system. As such, there is nothing about it that is diametrically opposed to the USA.
Even more nonsense, Communism is a POLITICAL system, not an economic one.

Even if it were, so what? Why would you disallow some philosophical viewpoints and not others?
You asked a civics question.

That is the answer.

You cannot support the United States and its Constitution and be a communist, if you claim to do so, you are either lying or not a real communist.

Theoretically communism and democracy could be compatible but in reality not so much.

Communism is too much of a commitment towards mediocracy. It is giving up on the human invention. It is a complete admission of and surrender to our weaknesses. For that it is morally wrong.

Name anything of significance invented in the USSR or Red CHINA.

Forum List

Back