Something I don't understand...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Ravi, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,864
    Why is it that someone that thinks Communism is okay, or that was a Communist in their youth, is unAmerican? I always thought that Americans enjoyed freedom of expression.

Was I wrong? Should we forbid people that don't toe the party line, Democrat or Republican, from being in government?

That sounds fascist, IMO.

Thoughts?

2. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    They won't have a chance of getting most government jobs (competitive pool) with that record as most require a security clearance.

Elected, and unfortunately, appointed positions do not require any clearance.

And, as there is this oath associatated with ALL appointments (elected and competitive), no they should not and will not have a job.

"I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God." (last line optional)

Communists cannot make such an oath; communism is not quite constitutional.

3. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks, we are still free to think. Not fascist at all to have an opinion, right?

4. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,864
    How so?

5. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    I think most people have an issue with communists having political power since that is not what America was founded on and most people don't want it going that way. And about being communist as a youth, how do you know they changed? if they were vocal enough about communism in early life to have it noticed, then unless they go through a similar denunciation of it, and follow that by actions then no one will believe them.

6. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,864
    I feel compelled to add..I do not agree with communism. But that doesn't change my question.

7. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Are you serious?

If so, just off the top of my head, the Constitution requires separation of powers. Communism doesn't. The list could get quite long.

8. BasicGreatGuy

BasicGreatGuy Aut libertas aut mors

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +427
    There is a difference between freedom of speech, and trying to use said freedom of speech to turn the Republic into a Communist cesspool.

9. SmarterThanHick

SmarterThanHick Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Americans have always enjoyed a good witch hunt.

10. CommonSensor

CommonSensor middle wing nut

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Good post Ravi! There is nothing in our Constitution that precludes a "communist" party from participating in our government. In fact, there IS a communist party in the US.

"Known officially as the Communist Party USA (CPUSA), the Communist party was formed in the United States in 1919, two years after the Russian Revolution.

There are also communist parties in many of europe's social democracies. There is often a blurring of the distinction between "communism" the theoretical manifesto, and "communism" as practiced by totalitarian regimes, such as China and the old Soviet Union.

It's "required" to allow that participation if you truly consider yourselves a "free society".

-sensored