Something I Always Wondered About....

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
If Apple, Dell, HP, Acer, etc... (computer makers in general) are truly "green" companies...why are they still making computers with keyboards and monitors?

When you upgrade, sometimes you want a new backlit keyboard or a sharper monitor. But often times, you just want a faster processor or more internal storage.

To the best of my knowledge; Apple, Dell, HP, Acer, etc.... do not offer solutions/options that run along the lines of:

Just replacing the processor or adding storage as an upgrade (done at the Apple Store for example) where a factory technician takes your existing notebook, laptop, desktop, etc... and just upgrades the existing computer. So you don't end up making yet another keyboard and monitor that will eventually find its way into our landfills. If I were given the option between spending $800 or so getting a primo factory installed, certified, warrantied upgrade vs spending $700 more to get essentially the same keyboard and monitor I already have, I'd go with the cheaper option more often than not.

Here's the reason.......

200.gif

You are kidding right?
To upgrade the processor means upgrading the motherboard. Could also require ram upgrarde, a power supply upgrade, and maybe a video card upgrade. Considering the time involved the pay of the individual. The cost to keep the store open. Plus some kind of warranty. Would cost you way more then a new one. Not cheaper

You are kidding right?
To upgrade the processor means upgrading the motherboard. Could also require ram upgrarde, a power supply upgrade, and maybe a video card upgrade. Considering the time involved the pay of the individual. The cost to keep the store open. Plus some kind of warranty. Would cost you way more then a new one. Not cheaper
It's entirely likely (you yourself say "could" and "maybe") you won't need the other items. If you do not, give the consumer the option of going green and just getting the necessary upgrades with all of the confidence that Apple techs will be working on my Mac...versus having to buy a new computer.

If Apple, Dell, HP, Acer, etc... (computer makers in general) are truly "green" companies...why are they still making computers with keyboards and monitors?

When you upgrade, sometimes you want a new backlit keyboard or a sharper monitor. But often times, you just want a faster processor or more internal storage.

To the best of my knowledge; Apple, Dell, HP, Acer, etc.... do not offer solutions/options that run along the lines of:

Just replacing the processor or adding storage as an upgrade (done at the Apple Store for example) where a factory technician takes your existing notebook, laptop, desktop, etc... and just upgrades the existing computer. So you don't end up making yet another keyboard and monitor that will eventually find its way into our landfills. If I were given the option between spending $800 or so getting a primo factory installed, certified, warrantied upgrade vs spending $700 more to get essentially the same keyboard and monitor I already have, I'd go with the cheaper option more often than not.
I've had the same monitor and keyboard for about 10 years and have changed my computer twice. You don't have to buy a new keyboard and monitor every time you buy a new computer although most people do.

There are times when you need a faster processor and there are times when you need more data storages or more memory or faster memory. Most computer users are not capable of determining exactly what they need so they just buy a new faster computer and that solves the problem.

One thing that most computer users do not consider is there is more in the computer that effects speed and throughput than just a cpu, storage, and memory. For example, if you have an older computer and you determine the disk drive is not fast enough you buy a solid state drive that's lighting fast but what about the disk controller. It was fast enough for the hard disk but might not be fast enough for a solid state drive. The same same thing can happen when you buy other upgrades. When engineers design a computer they make sure the components are matched so you don't have a disk controller slowing down your sold state storage, your memory interface is fast enough for the memory, the video processor matches your monitor, etc, etc. This why most manufactures are not prone to be selling upgrades. Upgrades are not always the answer and of course they make money by selling new computer rather than just an upgrade.

It's entirely likely (you yourself say "could" and "maybe") you won't need the other items. If you do not, give the consumer the option of going green and just getting the necessary upgrades with all of the confidence that Apple techs will be working on my Mac...versus having to buy a new computer.
Apple as well as most other retail computer manufacturers have only about 4 components in the computer( other than switches, fuses fans, and other misc. hardware), that are consider replicable. They are the central processing unit, power supply, memory, and solid state storage storage, Just about everything else, storage controllers, video processors, usb controllers, keyboard controllers, hdmi controllers, sound processors, memory interfaces, wifi adapters, etc are all built into the motherboard. If any of these many motherboard components need replacing, you have to replace the whole mother board. Doing so usually cost over half the price of a new computer that will be faster and have more amenities. The days of replacing most parts in computers, TVs, and most electronics are gone. The manufacturer integrates most of the parts to reduce manufacturing costs.

Last edited:
Because computers are used with keyboards and monitors.

If you just want a new computer, build your own.
Although many major manufactures sell the product, keyboard, monitor, and computer as a unit, you can still buy stand alone computers. Most of them are built for gamers and CGI people who need a lot processor power and thus a more expensive unit.

I have build every computer for myself and most of the family since the 1980's. Building computers is pretty much for hobbyist and gamers.

The advantage of building it yourself is you can work on it yourself and do upgrades. The major components are better than you get in most store bought computers and you can control what software goes on the computer. You will learn a lot about computer hardware and how it works.

The disadvantages are you have to have or acquire some knowledge of the computer components and it takes time to figure out which components you need. If you put it together and it doesn't work then it's up you figure out the problem. And lastly, it will cost as much or more than a retail unit, however it will probably last you longer than a store bought computer and you can easily upgrade it.

The computer I am using right now has the same case I used in a previous computer. The DVD drive came out of my grandson's computer. The keyboard, speakers, mouse are the same ones I have been using for some years. The only new components were the motherboard, cpu, memory, video card, and the solid state storage.

Last edited:
I said might because it depends on what motherboard is used. How much power is pulled. Upgrading to a faster processor is not like upgrading a tinker toy. Everything has to be matched. If the video card is not a match for everything then it has to be replaced. IF you are LUCKY and the video card is able to handle the throughput then no you do not need another. IF the power supply is large enough then you do not need another. Computer parts are not just pull things off the shelf and shove them in. Care has to be taken to match the processor means an new motherboard because of the new architecture of the processor. IS the hard drive able to handle the speed of the new processor? No need to install a new one if the hard drive will still slow it down. What is the usb? Is it 2.0, 2.3, 3.0? By the time you get all the new parts in and correct was is the power consumption?
I know most people think you can just grab things and put them into a computer and it will work. It does not work that way. Try rebuilding a carburetor or an engine by just grabbing any part. Now you have an idea how much thought goes into the whole of a computer.

The command and control software for computers is still in beta-testing stage ... and it's still garbage ... seems no one is bothering to fix any of the millions of bugs ... that's the slowest part and it's getting slower ... down to about fifteen words a minute ... [giggle] ... the user-interface is only as good as the user ...

The command and control software for computers is still in beta-testing stage ... and it's still garbage ... seems no one is bothering to fix any of the millions of bugs ... that's the slowest part and it's getting slower ... down to about fifteen words a minute ... [giggle] ... the user-interface is only as good as the user ...
What do you mean by command and control software? Are you referring to the operating system, IOS, Windows, or Linux...

I said might because it depends on what motherboard is used. How much power is pulled. Upgrading to a faster processor is not like upgrading a tinker toy. Everything has to be matched. If the video card is not a match for everything then it has to be replaced. IF you are LUCKY and the video card is able to handle the throughput then no you do not need another. IF the power supply is large enough then you do not need another. Computer parts are not just pull things off the shelf and shove them in. Care has to be taken to match the processor means an new motherboard because of the new architecture of the processor. IS the hard drive able to handle the speed of the new processor? No need to install a new one if the hard drive will still slow it down. What is the usb? Is it 2.0, 2.3, 3.0? By the time you get all the new parts in and correct was is the power consumption?
I know most people think you can just grab things and put them into a computer and it will work. It does not work that way. Try rebuilding a carburetor or an engine by just grabbing any part. Now you have an idea how much thought goes into the whole of a computer.
Most people that buy computers spend about as much time researching their purchase as they do a purchase of a toaster oven. And when they get it they want it to be as easy to use as a toaster oven; that is ;they are task orientated. They want to watch movies, chat with friends, surf the net, play a few games, and listen to music and they don't want to be bothered with any of the technical aspects of the computer. As time passes they add apps and find new uses. Performance slowly degrades and some things no longer work and the owner is ready for another computer in 3 to 5yr. The old computer is junked and someone with a little technical savvy buys it for $25 to $50, formats the hard drive, reinstalls the operating system and adds a few major applications and it runs as good as it did when it came home from the store.

Last edited:
Most people that buy computers spend about as much time researching their purchase as they do a purchase of a toaster oven. And when they get it they want it to be as easy to use as a toaster oven; that is ;they are task orientated. They want to watch movies, chat with friends, surf the net, play a few games, and listen to music and they don't want to be bothered with any of the technical aspects of the computer. As time passes they add apps and find new uses. Performance slowly degrades and some things no longer work and the owner is ready for another computer in 3 to 5yr. The old computer is junked and someone with a little technical savvy buys it for $25 to $50, formats the hard drive, reinstalls the operating system and adds a few major applications and it runs as good as it did when it came home from the store.
Built from scratch and repaired them for many years. Even did a few turns on help desk in the early days. Started with them back when it was only dial up.so understand exactly what you mean

How soon will you stop using computing devices... to save the planet?

Built from scratch and repaired them for many years. Even did a few turns on help desk in the early days. Started with them back when it was only dial up.so understand exactly what you mean
The first computer I built was a Southwest Tech in 1975. It was a $499 kit, with no hard drive and no built-in modem. It had 8k of memory which was $400 more. It used a small TV as the monitor. And it used an audio cassette player to load the operating systems, programs, and to store programs and data. The whole setup which included computer kit, keyboard, monitor, and tape drive cost about $900. The kit consisted of a case, a motherboard with nothing on it, a lot wires and hardware, and a box of electronic components such as transistors and integrated circuits, a processor, and a power supply. You had about a hundred components to solder on to the motherboard. An once you got it together, there was no way to test it or diagnosis problems.

If you were lucky, when you turned the computer on nothing happened till you flipped some switches and enter a binary code which caused the computer to read a boot strap loader from the tape recorder. You then would get a ? on the monitor and you could enter several commands to control the tape cassette which is how programs were loaded. After about 15 mins, you were ready to run some programs. You could buy programs to entertain such tic tac toe, battle, or pong but it you wanted to do some serious work, you could load a check register program or a programs that could sort numbers and text. If you wanted to do much of anything else, you would have to load in Basic and write your own programs. Most programs did not use a printer so there was no need to buy a printer. No modem because since there was no internet. No sound cards because there was no sound. No graphics card because there was not graphics No mouse because it excepted only text input and outputted only text.
To say we have come a long way baby is an understatement.

The first computer I built was a Southwest Tech in 1975. It was a $499 kit, with no hard drive and no built-in modem. It had 8k of memory which was $400 more. It used a small TV as the monitor. And it used an audio cassette player to load the operating systems, programs, and to store programs and data. The whole setup which included computer kit, keyboard, monitor, and tape drive cost about $900. The kit consisted of a case, a motherboard with nothing on it, a lot wires and hardware, and a box of electronic components such as transistors and integrated circuits, a processor, and a power supply. You had about a twoo hundred components to solder on to the motherboard. An once you got it together, there was no way to test it or diagnosis problems.

If you were lucky, when you turned the computer on nothing happened till you flipped some switches and enter a binary code which caused the computer to read a boot strap loader from the tape recorder. You then would get a ? on the monitor and you could enter several commands to control the tape cassette which is how programs were loaded. After about 15 mins, you were ready to run some programs. You could buy programs to entertain such tic tac toe, battle, or pong but it you wanted to do some serious work, you could load a check register program or a programs that could sort numbers and text. If you wanted to do much of anything else, you would have to load in Basic and write your own programs. Most programs did not use a printer so there was no need to buy a printer. No modem because there was no internet. No sound cards because there was no sound. No graphics card because there was not graphics No mouse because the computer excepted only text input and displayed only text.

To say we have come a long way baby is an understatement.