Someone please explain NASCAR to me

G

Gabriella84

I went to dinner last night with my friend Lauren and her boyfriend Edward. The restaurant had a car race on the TV screen that was closest to our table. So I spent about an hour being distracted by these cars driving in a circle.
I recall that someone here stated that NASCAR has a lot of strategy, What is it? Doesn't the fastest car win?
This is a non-threatening thread, by the way. I am laying aside my criticisms of car racing in an attempt to understand it's appeal. :)

Gabriella84 said:
I went to dinner last night with my friend Lauren and her boyfriend Edward. The restaurant had a car race on the TV screen that was closest to our table. So I spent about an hour being distracted by these cars driving in a circle.
I recall that someone here stated that NASCAR has a lot of strategy, What is it? Doesn't the fastest car win?
This is a non-threatening thread, by the way. I am laying aside my criticisms of car racing in an attempt to understand it's appeal. :)

For one, there is a lot of strategy involved as far as when to refuel, when to change tires, how to adjust the chassis so it will handle the best.

Gabriella84 said:
... I am laying aside my criticisms of car racing in an attempt to understand it's appeal. :)
If you find an answer, let me know.
Personally, I stand by my claim that you have to be a redneck (or wanna be) to like Nascar.

Mr. P said:
If you find an answer, let me know.
Personally, I stand by my claim that you have to be a redneck (or wanna be) to like Nascar.

damn a california boy that likes nascar.....must be my mum's side of the family....they being from the south and all.....i like the fact that in nascar you can bump at 180 mph.....unlike dem dainty F1 girls

Gabby, the strategy comes into play a lot during pitting, as dillo pointed out. Also, when to pass, how soon to pass them, when to pit, how risky you want to drive, etc. etc.

I think it's mostly people waiting to see a wreck.

I'm not sure exactly how much strategy there would be to pitting. I would guess you go as long/far as you can, unless there's a wreck, then you pit immeadiately because all the other cars will have to slow down, so you don't lose as much ground were the cars under a green flag.

I imagine, at that speed, there's alot to be said for staying behind other cars (so they waste power/gas cutting through the air) and leap frogging from one car to the next. So there's worrying about which car to follow, and when you need to find a new car to follow.

Each track is slightly different, so I'm sure there are specific places on each track which provide the best oppourtunity to pass. So you have to know where that is.

There's the need for upper body strength and stamina to operate that steering wheel for four hours.

Finally there's balls. Losers play it safe. You thought tailgaters on the highway were bad. These guys are driving a fraction of an inch away from each other, going like 180mph. That's not safe.

But I can't watch it. It's monumentally boring.

First of all, why do they need to change their tires? Do the tires last only a few hundred miles? And if everyone has to refuel, what is the "strategy" behind when you refuel?
Everytime I looked up, it was just cars racing around a track. Very few cars ever passed someone. And they kept cutting away to people on the sideline talking on headphones.
So these people pay $100 or so to sit in the sit for three or four hours, watching cars drive around a track?
I'n sticking with baseball. Even cricket would be more exciting.

Gabriella84 said:
First of all, why do they need to change their tires? Do the tires last only a few hundred miles? And if everyone has to refuel, what is the "strategy" behind when you refuel?
Everytime I looked up, it was just cars racing around a track. Very few cars ever passed someone. And they kept cutting away to people on the sideline talking on headphones.
So these people pay $100 or so to sit in the sit for three or four hours, watching cars drive around a track?

NASCAR is just a car related form of human long distance running. You pace yourself until you're ready to make a move for the lead. The tire changes is about maintaining speed and control. No matter what kind of car you have, if you don't have good tires, you're going to eventually wreck your car.

I'm a hockey fan; with that being said, I suggest to you all that you see the races in person before you make final judgment. It's just a sport you can't see on TV, that's all. I'm sorry, but I can't watch baseball on TV; I have to go see it in Comerica Park!

Comerica Park was awesome!! I loved all the history they were able to preserve and present.

But I don't think I could ever get in the proper NASCAR spirit. I don't drink beer, and I don't have a brother to take me as a date. :cheers2:

Gabriella84 said:
First of all, why do they need to change their tires? Do the tires last only a few hundred miles?

Yeah, they go through tires pretty fast. Because of both the speed they are travelling at and the composition of the track. Also, since they are always turning one direction I would think that that would wear out one side's tires faster than the other's, and if so that would cause all sorts of problems trying to control the car.

Gabriella84 said:
But I don't think I could ever get in the proper NASCAR spirit. I don't drink beer, and I don't have a brother to take me as a date. :cheers2:
You and Howard Dean must be buddies...

Gabriella84 said:

Gabby, as far as tires, they wear out pretty fast, based on various conditions like track composition, speed, temperature, etc. Newer tires give drivers a significant edge in speed, but if you pit too often to change tires, you lose time. So there's a balance to be struck.

Same with refueling. Yeah, everyone has to refuel, but you have to know exactly how far you can go before refueling, and hope that there are no yellow flags (meaning a caution - usually when there's some kind of wreck) right after you refuel.

The people on the sidelines with headphones are often crew chiefs. These guys are like the coach in baseball. They coordinate the pit crew, communiate with the driver, and basically keep the team doing what it has to do.

Thank you, Jeff. At least someone knows how to communicate intelligently.
I still think cricket will be more exciting. And I get to find out on Dec. 26. :rock:

Gabriella84 said:
I still think cricket will be more exciting. And I get to find out on Dec. 26. :rock:

And there we will have to agree to disagree.

I have seen some matches on Satellite TV and it looks rather fascinating. That is why I want to see it in person. And I will, on Dec. 26 in Melbourne.

Gabriella84 said:
Hell, chess is more exciting than round and round we go... :p:

I am waiting for a chess match between Cletus and Billy Bob.

Forum List

Back