Someone please explain Bachmann's "reasoning'?

I'm not enrolled so I have no syllabus; let us know how taxes impact supply and demand. Is that a hypothesis, a theory or a law (or do those terms only apply to hard science)?

Taxes affect supply and demand in two ways.

Increased costs of things people have to have often result in less buying of things they don't have to have.

Increased taxes on a product they don't have to have will reduce at least some demand from consumers. If the supplier lowers base cost to offset the tax to keep consumers interested, that will lower the supplier's profit which may or may not affect the supply but it certainly affects the overall robustness of the economy. One way it usually affects most supply is that imported products too often then look better than our own. Excessive taxes, artificially inflated wages, and over regulation continues to drive our manufacturing base overseas. And nobody seems interested in correcting that.

An illustration is the legislation in which George H.W. Bush broke his 'no new taxes' pledge and allowed a tax on the 'rich' to be applied to private planes, boats, jewelry luxury cars, other high ticket items. (He was supposed to get $3 in spending cuts for every dollar in new taxes, but as these things go, that never materialized. Congress will raise the taxes but they won't cut spending.)

Anyway the onerous new taxes decimated our private industries when the 'rich' simply went elsewhere for more consumer friendly climes to buy their toys. More than 50,000 employees were laid off in the boat and plane building industries that have not fully recovered yet, and our profitable jewelry industry was driven off shore where it now remains in places like Grand Cayman. The duties to bring it into the country were less than the tax applied when it was bought here.

Our friends on the left will never acknowledge such blasphemy.

Nice try. Jewelry, yachts and planes are not on my shopping list and would never be even if my income tax was zero and all of my taxes were reduced by 50%. If I were to consider buying a boat, I woulld never by a new one. Real sailors understand why.

Our economy is consumer driven. Middle class and lower middle class families buy an equal amount of durable and non duable goods as do the wealthiest Americans. In fact, most of the wealthy purchase foreign vehicles for status. Taxes have very little to do with the decision. Real patriots boycott Wal-Mart, a company which pays low wages to American workers and whose products provide China with a huge trade surplus.

Increased costs of things people have to have often result in less buying of things they don't have to have.

Increased taxes on a product they don't have to have will reduce at least some demand from consumers. If the supplier lowers base cost to offset the tax to keep consumers interested, that will lower the supplier's profit which may or may not affect the supply but it certainly affects the overall robustness of the economy. One way it usually affects most supply is that imported products too often then look better than our own. Excessive taxes, artificially inflated wages, and over regulation continues to drive our manufacturing base overseas. And nobody seems interested in correcting that.

An illustration is the legislation in which George H.W. Bush broke his 'no new taxes' pledge and allowed a tax on the 'rich' to be applied to private planes, boats, jewelry luxury cars, other high ticket items. (He was supposed to get $3 in spending cuts for every dollar in new taxes, but as these things go, that never materialized. Congress will raise the taxes but they won't cut spending.)

Anyway the onerous new taxes decimated our private industries when the 'rich' simply went elsewhere for more consumer friendly climes to buy their toys. More than 50,000 employees were laid off in the boat and plane building industries that have not fully recovered yet, and our profitable jewelry industry was driven off shore where it now remains in places like Grand Cayman. The duties to bring it into the country were less than the tax applied when it was bought here.

Nice try. Jewelry, yachts and planes are not on my shopping list and would never be even if my income tax was zero and all of my taxes were reduced by 50%. If I were to consider buying a boat, I woulld never by a new one. Real sailors understand why.
Whether or not such things are or aren't on your shopping list is completely irrelevant to the overall concept.

Maybe you'd understand better if you weren't thinking of yourself first. :eusa_whistle:

Our economy is consumer driven.!(1)
Middle class and lower middle class families buy an equal amount of durable and non duable goods as do the wealthiest Americans.(2) In fact, most of the wealthy purchase foreign vehicles for status.(3) Taxes have very little to do with the decision.(4) Real patriots boycott Wal-Mart, a company which pays low wages to American workers and whose products provide China with a huge trade surplus.(5)

(1) DUUUUUUUUH!...Is that supposed to be some great revelation?

(2) Do you have any source to this dubious (at least) claim, other than your own bigoted say-so?

(3) Pure, unsubstantiated, bigoted class envy crap.

(4) See#2.

(5) Who died and made you the official arbiter of who is and isn't a "real patriot"?

Our economy is consumer driven. Middle class and lower middle class families buy an equal amount of durable and non duable goods as do the wealthiest Americans. In fact, most of the wealthy purchase foreign vehicles for status. Taxes have very little to do with the decision. Real patriots boycott Wal-Mart, a company which pays low wages to American workers and whose products provide China with a huge trade surplus.

Since your purchases are the defining factor in the economy, those things must not have any place in our...

Oh wait...

Now this is post was a lot of fun. You've got crazy assumptions, radical definitions of what a patriot is and a man claiming one company is responsible for the entire trade surplus of the world's most populated country.

:lol::clap2::lol::clap2:

Forum List

Back