Someone Insults Your Wife in Public - What Do You Do?

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
What would you do if some guy called your wife an extremely filthy and insulting name in a public place?

Simple question. Not so simple answer.

(I am posting this in the Law Forum, because I am mainly - but not entirely - concerned with a discussion of the legal consequences that might arise from such a situation.)

What would you do if some guy called your wife an extremely filthy and insulting name in a public place?

(I am posting this in the Law Forum, because I am mainly - but not entirely - concerned with a discussion of the legal consequences that might arise from such a situation.)

and I was there... confront him..line it up.. and a swift kick to the balls...

OK - he drops like a sack of clams. As he lies there on the floor, he screams: "Call the police!" Someone does.

Now what do you do?

OK - he drops like a sack of clams. As he lies there on the floor, he screams: "Call the police!" Someone does.

Now what do you do?

Walk away.. if I'm stopped I suffer the consequences. The consequences of inaction would be too high a price to pay, it's my obligation to protect my wife's honor. I have no other choice in the matter.

Ya turn around and walk the other way... plain and simple.

If I were to stick around, it would get really ugly, really fast.

Now what do you do?

Walk away.. if I'm stopped I suffer the consequences. The consequences of inaction would be too high a price to pay, it's my obligation to protect my wife's honor. I have no other choice in the matter.

Well, that's one way to look at it, I suppose. Not what I had in mind. I wonder if anyone else wants to jump in here?

While in the military a neighbors wife verbally assaulted my wife and they came to blows. I was legally unable to do anything. The way it works is no matter the provocation laying hands on some one else dependent gets you a quick ticket out of the military.

Of course my wife was furious with me. The MP's even explained it to her and she stayed mad for a couple weeks.

Not sure as a civilian, but I suspect I would verbally respond and see where it escalated from there.

Now what do you do?
I have to disagree with Lumpy. The kick to the balls, while causing a great deal of pain, will likely result in charges.
Years back, I had a similar experience. A drunk was harassing my date while we were out dancing. He was on his way back, coming from behind me. I turned slightly so I could catch him with my peripheral vision and timing it perfectly, I swung my elbow back and caught him on the bridge of the nose. He went out like a light and I caught him as he went down. She and I walked/dragged him to the door and told the bouncer that he had over done it with the tequila. We sat him down under a tree and went back inside.
I don't think he ever knew what happened.

Since I am in a same sex marriage any comments made are usually directed toward both of us. Being 5 foot tall and 100 pounds there would be little to do beside ignore whomever said it and just consider the source and laugh between us.

Now what do you do?

Well, that's one way to look at it, I suppose. Not what I had in mind. I wonder if anyone else wants to jump in here?

How about you jump in as well...

How does Mr. Shrinkage handle the situation?

If I was married, my husband wouldn't have to do anything because I'd probably call the guy a filthy name back, and then my husband would end up telling me to calm the fuck down before I got both of us in trouble.:lol:

If I was married, my husband wouldn't have to do anything because I'd probably call the guy a filthy name back, and then my husband would end up telling me to calm the fuck down before I got both of us in trouble.:lol:

You sure sound like a Newfie to me.

Urban Dictionary: newfie

:D

I'll tell you how I DID handle it two weeks ago when this very thing happened to my wife and myself while we were dining at a SoupPlantation.

My wife, myself and our adult son were sitting there, eating dinner. This guy came up to our table and began hurling insults at all three of us. We had been looking disapprovingly at his nearby table, where he and his wife were encouraging their infant child to shriek loudly, disturbing everyone in the restaurant. He took offense that we disapproved of this conduct.

Anyway, he started in, calling me, my son and my wife, all sorts of really filthy names. Obviously, this guy had issues.

I thought about hitting him, but decided against it. As a criminal defense attorney, I know all too well that mere words, no matter how insulting, are not a legal justification for physical violence in response to those words. So I went to get the manager.

Unfortunately, the manager was this rather small, shy and very polite female, who tried to get this guy to shut up, but failed miserably. He took one look at her, ignored her, and continued with his tirade for two or three more minutes, until he finally sputtered himself out and allowed her to guide him back to his table.

A most disturbing evening, to say the least. I think the incident was handled badly by the manager and am in touch with Soupplantation upper management on that point. I think the manager should have kicked the jerk out on the spot and told him never to return.

But I know I did the right thing not to hit him. I was able to drive my wife home and try to calm her down - she was (of course) very upset by what had happened. I would not have been much use to her if she had had to drive herself home while I was being booked at the local jail.

It was suggested by a friend that I should have decked him and then told the police that I thought he was starting to swing on me. First, that would have been a lie, and the incident was witnessed by several dozen people. Secondly, I am 72 years old and never have been a fighter. Maybe instead of jail, I might have wound up in the hospital. This guy was in his 50's, very solidly built, with tattoos totally covering both arms and a crazed look in his eye. As I said, he clearly had issues.

Last edited:

You sure sound like a Newfie to me.

Urban Dictionary: newfie

:D

No, I'm Swedish.:lol:

Yeah, a Newfie husband would probably be betting on you rather than trying to stop you now that I come to think of it. :badgrin:

Cell phone.... get it on tape. If you cant sue him.... vilify him on you tube.

I'll tell you how I DID handle it two weeks ago when this very thing happened to my wife and myself while we were dining at a SoupPlantation.

My wife, myself and our adult son were sitting there, eating dinner. This guy came up to our table and began hurling insults at all three of us. We had been looking disapprovingly at his nearby table, where he and his wife were encouraging their infant child to shriek loudly, disturbing everyone in the restaurant. He took offense that we disapproved of this conduct.

Anyway, he started in, calling me, my son and my wife, all sorts of really filthy names. Obviously, this guy had issues.

I thought about hitting him, but decided against it. As a criminal defense attorney, I know all too well that mere words, no matter how insulting, are not a legal justification for physical violence in response to those words. So I went to get the manager.

Unfortunately, the manager was this rather small, shy and very polite female, who tried to get this guy to shut up, but failed miserably. He took one look at her, ignored her, and continued with his tirade for two or three more minutes, until he finally sputtered himself out and allowed her to guide him back to his table.

A most disturbing evening, to say the least. I think the incident was handled badly by the manager and am in touch with Soupplantation upper management on that point. I think the manager should have kicked the jerk out on the spot and told him never to return.

But I know I did the right thing not to hit him. I was able to drive my wife home and try to calm her down - she was (of course) very upset by what had happened. I would not have been much use to her if she had had to drive herself home while I was being booked at the local jail.

It was suggested by a friend that I should have decked him and then told the police that I thought he was starting to swing on me. First, that would have been a lie, and the incident was witnessed by several dozen people. Secondly, I am 72 years old and never have been a fighter. Maybe instead of jail, I might have wound up in the hospital. This guy was in his 50's, very solidly built, with tattoos totally covering both arms and a crazed look in his eye. As I said, he clearly had issues.

I think that your friend also has issues. You however, seem to have no issues with using your mind first when no physical attack has been made. Good on you imo.

Holy shit, you're 72?!?!:lol: ;)

The manager was wrong on many counts. She should have called the cops and had him removed. Your dinner, in the very least, should have been comped.

I would suggest you go over the managers head and complain about what happened to you.

New Topics

Forum List

Back