someone has some 'splaining to do.

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
Defense Department destroys some Bush military records

In a letter responding to a freedom of information request by The Associated Press, the Defense Department said that microfilm containing the pertinent National Guard payroll records was damaged and could not be salvaged. The damaged material included payroll records for the first quarter of 1969 and the third quarter of 1972.

"President Bush's payroll records for those two quarters were among the records destroyed," wrote C.Y. Talbott, of the Pentagon's Freedom of Information and Security Review section. "Searches for back-up paper copies of the missing records were unsuccessful."

Originally posted by DKSuddeth

In a letter responding to a freedom of information request by The Associated Press, the Defense Department said that microfilm containing the pertinent National Guard payroll records was damaged and could not be salvaged. The damaged material included payroll records for the first quarter of 1969 and the third quarter of 1972.

"President Bush's payroll records for those two quarters were among the records destroyed," wrote C.Y. Talbott, of the Pentagon's Freedom of Information and Security Review section. "Searches for back-up paper copies of the missing records were unsuccessful."

Kinda meaningless unless we know when the records were lost/destroyed dontcha think?

I mean if it was a recent deal, the ok, we've got an issue. If it was several years ago, then what is the point?

Kinda like AP to run a story and leave out a fairly significant fact. IMO

Originally posted by HGROKIT
Kinda meaningless unless we know when the records were lost/destroyed dontcha think?

I mean if it was a recent deal, the ok, we've got an issue. If it was several years ago, then what is the point?

Kinda like AP to run a story and leave out a fairly significant fact. IMO

it doesn't matter whether it was a 'recent' occurrence or not. Were they unsalvageable before, or after, his records were released during the last political hayday about it and if before, why wasn't it mentioned then, and if after, why weren't they released with the others?

it doesn't matter whether it was a 'recent' occurrence or not. Were they unsalvageable before, or after, his records were released during the last political hayday about it and if before, why wasn't it mentioned then, and if after, why weren't they released with the others?

Again - until there is a timeframe for their demise - any debate would be rhetorical and moot.

There is no frame of reference and all this does is imply some nefarious intent.

This happened to a lot of records. I recently sent off a request to the DOD for a copy of my father's military records (he has passed so as a relative I have a right to get a free copy) and I received a notice stating that his records had been destroyed in a fire. So somebody is trying to make something out of nothing. A lot of military records were destroyed (oh and by the way, my father was in the National Guard too so maybe it was that part of the records building that burned or something).

according to the article, heres a timeframe:

The letter said that in 1996 and 1997, the Pentagon "engaged with limited success in a project to salvage deteriorating microfilm." During the process, "the microfilm payroll records of numerous service members were damaged," the letter said.

This process resulted in "the inadvertent destruction of microfilm containing certain National Guard payroll records," including Bush's, the letter said.

as the church lady on SNL would say 'how con-veeeeen-ient'

Perhaps Bush was like MILLIONS of veterans (including myself) and had copies made of his records before those being held by the government were destroyed. I remember before I ETS'd, I took my medical files and had copies made of every scrap of paper (never know what kind of service related injury might come back to haunt you in your old age). I also copied all my personnel records. So again, there is nothing there DK. Sorry! :(

according to the article, heres a timeframe:

The letter said that in 1996 and 1997, the Pentagon "engaged with limited success in a project to salvage deteriorating microfilm." During the process, "the microfilm payroll records of numerous service members were damaged," the letter said.

This process resulted in "the inadvertent destruction of microfilm containing certain National Guard payroll records," including Bush's, the letter said.

as the church lady on SNL would say 'how con-veeeeen-ient'

You can tell you have never served a day in uniform. Records get destroyed all the time (probably not as much these days due to computers, etc.).

Originally posted by freeandfun1
You can tell you have never served a day in uniform. Records get destroyed all the time (probably not as much these days due to computers, etc.).

i guess that 6 years of active duty marine corps was just a figment of everyones imagination, right? :rolleyes:

i guess that 6 years of active duty marine corps was just a figment of everyones imagination, right? :rolleyes:

my apologies.

then why are you so "surprised" military records were somehow destroyed? most of my records are missing now (except for the copies I made myself). I got a microfiche copy of mine and they are missing a lot of stuff that thankfully, I have copies. Being an ex-military guy, I would think you would be one of the first to say that lost military records does not a conspiracy theory make.

Originally posted by dilloduck
Maybe someone made a mistake DK.

Not time for conspiracies yet , is it?

I agree with dillo... this seems to be much ado about nuthin. Its just the media looking for a story where no one's even sure there is a story to be found.

my apologies.

then why are you so "surprised" military records were somehow destroyed? most of my records are missing now (except for the copies I made myself). I got a microfiche copy of mine and they are missing a lot of stuff that thankfully, I have copies. Being an ex-military guy, I would think you would be one of the first to say that lost military records does not a conspiracy theory make.

i'm not surprised, I just find the situation conspicuously convenient. call it a conspiracy theory all you like, but if these were john kerry's records about his 'after war' activities, you'd all be jumping on it.

i'm not surprised, I just find the situation conspicuously convenient. call it a conspiracy theory all you like, but if these were john kerry's records about his 'after war' activities, you'd all be jumping on it.

actually, a bunch of his records did disappear. but they were FBI records. ain't hearing much about that are we?

furthermore, believe me, Kerry has a complete copy of his military records. His time in the military was so scripted, I am not at all worried that he didn't keep copies of everything he was ever given just in case he needed it to support his wonderour three (BS) purple hearts.

actually, a bunch of his records did disappear. but they were FBI records. ain't hearing much about that are we?

not even on drudge. got a source?

not even on drudge. got a source?

Kerry Author: Stolen FBI Files Were 'Very Explosive'

Here is a link to an article by the Telegraph in the UK since I know most of you liberals will poo-poo Newsmax.

Note the dates of these stories and how they have lost all their legs. Yet the Bush "story" about his military service goes on and on and on like the energizer bunny. Now tell me the media is not biased.

thanks for the link. an interesting story. two questions.

1) what was he doing with FBI files, unless they were part of the FOIA.

2) wheres the FBI investigation report on this?

explosive is an understatement, btw.

thanks for the link. an interesting story. two questions.

1) what was he doing with FBI files, unless they were part of the FOIA.

2) wheres the FBI investigation report on this?

explosive is an understatement, btw.

I saw the author, when this story first came out, on Hannities show. He got them under the FOIA as he was writing a book on Kerry (a pro book by the way. the man said he is a Kerry supporter). He said he notified the Kerry campaign of the "explosive" information in the files and the next thing he new, his house was broken into and the files were stolen. But they only stole specific files. Whoever it was, they knew exactly what they were looking for.

From the Telegraph article.....

"My hunch is that Republicans did this," he said last week. "I was co-operating with the Democrats. I warned them about what I had found and opened it up to them."

Why would the GOP steal files that could be damaging to Kerry? By doing that, they would prevent the truth from getting out, which would help them. This statement makes absolutely no sense other than being partisan in nature.

Forum List

Back