Someone answer me a simple little question

Paulie

Diamond Member
May 19, 2007
How will medicare and SS be funded going into the future?

Keep in mind, the projected liabilities already far exceed the public's net worth.

When the Iraq War was declared I was politically and economically apathetic.

If I knew then what I know now......

Nice try though I guess.

Let's be real though.

Iraq has cost a trillion, and while I don't even remotely support the escapade, that piddly little amount of money is no match for the 80+ trillion in entitlement liabilities.

We could pull out of every country in the world and still risk going broke over the big 3 entitlements.

It's a nice idea in theory to keep everyone covered with those safety nets, but the reality is we'll never have enough money to pay for it all.

Does that concern you?

images

money-tree.jpg

Tooth-Fairy-SM.jpg

santa-money.jpg

images

House, somehow that's racist. I'm gonna figure out exactly how and then scold you for it.

Let's be real though.

Iraq has cost a trillion, and while I don't even remotely support the escapade, that piddly little amount of money is no match for the 80+ trillion in entitlement liabilities.

We could pull out of every country in the world and still risk going broke over the big 3 entitlements.

It's a nice idea in theory to keep everyone covered with those safety nets, but the reality is we'll never have enough money to pay for it all.

Does that concern you?

Yes, very much!

They'll raise the age and the tax rate.

I found this interesting tid bit from back during the Clinton years...

Increase payroll taxes:

The Social Security program will need additional funds in the future. For the time being, a part of the federal budget surplus can and should be earmarked for the trust fund and a tax increase can be delayed. But, ultimately, we will probably need to raise the tax rate.

Since two-thirds of the projected funding shortfall is due to people living longer, an appropriate way to raise the tax rate is to index it to longevity. For example, we could increase the tax rate by 0.02 percentage points each year, applied to both the employer and employee shares of the tax. After one year, the payroll tax would be 6.22%; after 10 years, it would have increased to 6.4%. It would take 50 years to rise a full percentage point to 7.2%. (While taxes were rising by 0.02 percentage points each year, the Trustees project real wages will grow 0.9% to 1.1% each year, about 50 times faster.) This small tax increase would eliminate about two-thirds of the funding shortfall over the next 75 years.

Funding the Social Security Program—Viewpoints | EPI

I know it's early still, but with the exception of Ravi not a single liberal has come in with an idea.

But amnesty, Rav?

300 million people's combined net worth doesn't even come close to funding the liabilities. And that means every dollar we possess, not just merely tax revenues.

How in the world do you expect a couple ten more million people to somehow magically contribute enough?

We're talking about 80+ TRILLION in liabilities. Are there some trillionaires in the illegal immigrant pool that I'm not aware of?

Duh. Raise the retirement age to 102. Helloooo.

You don't need to raise the retirement age to 102 prior to collecting on these entitlements. Just create the forms that make it so difficult to apply for the entitlements that it will take you until you are 102 to get them properly filled out. That should do the job...

I know it's early still, but with the exception of Ravi not a single liberal has come in with an idea.

But amnesty, Rav?

300 million people's combined net worth doesn't even come close to funding the liabilities. And that means every dollar we possess, not just merely tax revenues.

How in the world do you expect a couple ten more million people to somehow magically contribute enough?

We're talking about 80+ TRILLION in liabilities. Are there some trillionaires in the illegal immigrant pool that I'm not aware of?
also she ignores the drain on the system that amnesty could create
you add more people paying in, you get more people drawing out later

The Republican plan of "let them die quickly on the streets" won't work.

Don't worry. Democrats will figure something out. They always do.

Forum List

Back