somebody say no draft?

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
drudge link

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A senior Republican lawmaker said that deteriorating security in Iraq (news - web sites) may force the United States to reintroduce the military draft.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
drudge link

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A senior Republican lawmaker said that deteriorating security in Iraq (news - web sites) may force the United States to reintroduce the military draft.

I still say NO DRAFT. These guys can introduce anything they like, that doesn't mean it's going to happen. I read an article (someone else posted it here recently) that showed the enlistments with the military have went up since 2001. This is more politics than it is reality.

Yeah i'll be the first to say that never say never, this is America and they pass all sorts of shit in midnight backroom sessions here in D.C. but politically this would damage both parties irrepairably. Most kids 18-26 nowadays are too damn soft from too many video games and too much brainwashing in school, they'd get their ass shot off first day in country. Not too mention they'll be rioting in the street that will make Seattle a few years back look like a clambake.

I say keep it a voluntary deal and you will get the cream of the crop when it comes to soldiering.

this was the best part:

"Why shouldn't we ask all of our citizens to bear some responsibility and pay some price?" Hagel said, arguing that restoring compulsory military service would force "our citizens to understand the intensity and depth of challenges we face."

I guess 80 billion plus was just a pittance, right? I'm willing to bet that he just lost his job next election.

Ok i'm going to go out on a limb and suggest something. In Greece every male is required to do 2 years of military service, granted they aren't fighting wars right now but still they do it, and almost to a man they will say that it improved some aspect of their life. Why not do that in America whether its peacetime or wartime?

Originally posted by jimnyc
I read an article (someone else posted it here recently) that showed the enlistments with the military have went up since 2001.

How deos something have went? :p:

Originally posted by OCA
In Greece every male is required to do 2 years of military service, granted they aren't fighting wars right now but still they do it, and almost to a man they will say that it improved some aspect of their life.

Huh?
English, guys.

Originally posted by jimnyc
Went - to move or travel; proceed

"...that showed the enlistments with the military HAVE GONE up since 2001"

maybe that's what you meant.

Originally posted by nycflasher
"...that showed the enlistments with the military HAVE GONE up since 2001"

maybe that's what you meant.

Can you not understand what I wrote, or are you just being a wise ass?

Originally posted by nycflasher
How deos something have went? :p:

Rule #1: Grammatical errors are no serious basis for debate.

Rule #2: If you do debate one on the basis of grammatical error, absolutely ensure you have done so without error.

Rule #3: If you are doing so to impress others, you won't.

(Rule #0, the pre-emptive rule: It's never a good idea to harp on the board administrator with such paltry observations.)

Originally posted by OCA
Yeah i'll be the first to say that never say never, this is America and they pass all sorts of shit in midnight backroom sessions here in D.C. but politically this would damage both parties irrepairably. Most kids 18-26 nowadays are too damn soft from too many video games and too much brainwashing in school, they'd get their ass shot off first day in country. Not too mention they'll be rioting in the street that will make Seattle a few years back look like a clambake.

Actually while agree too many kids are soft i think within a few weeks of boot camp many of these formerly soft boys will be strong disciplined men. I also think that the video games may help their eye hand coordination and make them less squeemish at blood.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
Actually while agree too many kids are soft i think within a few weeks of boot camp many of these formerly soft boys will be strong disciplined men. I also think that the video games may help their eye hand coordination and make them less squeemish at blood.

This is true, this why I think that it is a good idea to have a compulsory 2 years military service in America for all males. College can wait two years or do it after college.

People don't understand. Terrorists thrive off the more troops we put in. We're not fighting China's 200 million man Army, here. (That's tomorrow's problem). We're fighting Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

Increase special ops and intelligence, not foots on the ground.

People don't understand. Terrorists thrive off the more troops we put in. We're not fighting China's 200 million man Army, here. (That's tomorrow's problem). We're fighting Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

The last thing we need is a draft. Right now there is already a lot of protest to the war, which I think we need to finish, but a draft would send that protest over the edge and make us withdraw way to soon.

Originally posted by dmp
what's wrong w/ the draft?

(shrug)...

we live in a nation of pussies.

And the draft would draft those pussies. That's what's wrong with it. I don't want some computer nerd fighting my wars because he was drafted.

As I said in the other thread, the draft WILL happen. You guy should be thinking "What if......." or "When they do that I will......".

If you do not accept it as anything other than fiction, you cannot be ready for the implementation.

When many want to see this thing pass, and THEY control the legislation, (not us), if money or power is involved, it WILL pass.

And believe me, commanding the entire American populace who are government property by default when in military service, IS POWER.

In addition, it requires more governmental services, and therefore more $$$.

Originally posted by preemptingyou03
And the draft would draft those pussies. That's what's wrong with it. I don't want some computer nerd fighting my wars because he was drafted.

Why not? you'd be surprised how adept computer nerds are with today's military technology. Even Accountants will learn to shoot well, if it means the ENEMY dying instead of he/she.

Forum List

Back