Somebody refresh my memory on the gay marriage argument

Dr.Drock

Aug 19, 2009
I want to know what reason there is, besides thinking homo is inferior to hetero, for having laws against gay marriage.

Let's not make this a republican vs democrat discussion, as both sides are against gay marriage overwhelmingly.

Secondly I want government out of all marriages, so I have no issue with a church turning away a gay couple or couple for any other reason but I don't like government choosing favorites based on lifestyle.

Thirdly, I'm straight as an arrow, and I know there will be some who want to stoop to calling me a homo or whatever for my political opinion but before you do that understand I don't view that as an insult as I view homos as my equal.

Thanks for your input.

Drock, you actually pretty much answered the question in the defining statements you made yourself after the question....

MARRIAGE is a Religious institution and always has been. Over the years the institution has gained certain Legal/Governmental privileges associated with it, which are also available through the non-religious "Civil Union" process.

What a lot of us want is a complete and total split between the two concepts. Let Religious groups perform Marriages. Hell, let them marry 12 year olds to 65 year olds if they want. Let them Marry one guy to 15 women if they want. THEN, force people to file for a Civil Union if they want the US Government to recognize it. Then the Government could choose to accept or deny whatever Civil Unions they prefer. Additionally, anyone who wants to ignore the religious process, or who is denied such for whatever reasons, could simply get a Civil Union. Including gay/lesbian couples.

Drock, you actually pretty much answered the question in the defining statements you made yourself after the question....

MARRIAGE is a Religious institution and always has been. Over the years the institution has gained certain Legal/Governmental privileges associated with it, which are also available through the non-religious "Civil Union" process.

What a lot of us want is a complete and total split between the two concepts. Let Religious groups perform Marriages. Hell, let them marry 12 year olds to 65 year olds if they want. Let them Marry one guy to 15 women if they want. THEN, force people to file for a Civil Union if they want the US Government to recognize it. Then the Government could choose to accept or deny whatever Civil Unions they prefer. Additionally, anyone who wants to ignore the religious process, or who is denied such for whatever reasons, could simply get a Civil Union. Including gay/lesbian couples.

tell me how you're for less intrusive govt again, okay?

It's creeping government control that people have voted for.

the defense of marrage act is unconstitutional as the Constitution does not cover who can wed.

Therefore it should fall to the states to determine who can wed, if they even want to bother.

pfft. Try getting hitched in a church only, w/o paying the fine, then try to claim married on taxes. The IRS will introduce you to gay sex before they are done.

Religious people [mostly conservatives] keep it b/c they think people will marry kids or animals and thus sully their own lives, some how. Liberals use it to get elected, saying they will get rid of it. that was one of Obamas stances.

BUT

we invited government controll in a long long time ago. The list of things that have been done "for our own good" is long and deeply ensconsed. So don't expect anything to change any time soon.

Two Thumbs, you're right on all counts.... which is why some of us are for pressing the "Cosmic Reset Button" and going back to the beginning in order to rebuild this country the way it ought to be rather than the way it has become.

Yeah I guess I'm just more or less wondering why the majority wants marriage between heteros to be law enforced and have a law against homos being married..

The only reason I can think of is being anti-homo.

Good post though btw.

Yeah I guess I'm just more or less wondering why the majority wants marriage between heteros to be law enforced and have a law against homos being married..

The only reason I can think of is being anti-homo.

Good post though btw.

The majority of people in this country believe in certain traditional concepts. Probably not as much as their grandparents did, but more than the media would generally like to admit. Marriage is one of those concepts. Most people are not terribly fond of the homosexual lifestyle, for any of a number of reasons (right, wrong, or indifferent). Those two things combine to lead most people to dislike the idea of the term "marriage" being used for a union that would not likely be sanctioned by their religious body, or their personal personal spiritual ideals.

That's why my plan works perfectly. It separates the two ideas.... religious marriage and governmental civil unions. In those cases where the couple meets the criteria for both, they can have the best of both worlds. In those cases where they don't meet the criteria for one or the other, they can have at least half of what they would get today. It's really the best of both worlds.

Forum List

Back