Somebody explain this to me

Wiseacre

Retired USAF Chief
Apr 8, 2011
San Antonio, TX
We're looking at an annual deficit of 1.5 or 1.6 trillion dollars. Obama wants to raise taxes on the rich to about 1 trillion over the next 10 years, which is about 100 billion per year. I doubt you'd actually get that much, but say you did, doesn't that leave 1.4 - 1.5 trillion left in deficits? Where are you going to get that money? What spending are you going to cut? I haven't seen anything definite from the pres or from the dems in Congress for what they'll cut, why is that? Shouldn't the American people see a plan from both sides?

You realize that if you suck a trillion dollars out of the economy over the next 10 years that there is an economic cost, right? Investments made by Americans will be reduced, as will foreign investments that we won't get the tax benefits from. Money flows to where it gets the most return, and there are plenty of emerging markets to invest in. Seems to me the democrats want a bigger piece of the same size pie rather than getting the same size piece of out a bigger pie. What's the difference? A bigger pie means more jobs, that's why. It also means less money going out in UE benefits and other gov't programs.

So tell me, if raising taxes is a good thing, why is every other country LOWERING taxes and cutting spending? ALL OF THEM, nobody is raising taxes. 15 years ago Canada was where we are now, relatively speaking. You know how they turned things around? They lowered taxes and cut spending. So why in God's name is Obama and the Dems trying to do the opposite?

Last edited:
Exactly right. Lowering taxes and cutting spending is all we've got left. Obama knows this, but prefers to be a jerk about it. I guess he misses his near dictatorial powers before the House was "lost" to the GOP.

We're looking at an annual deficit of 1.5 or 1.6 trillion dollars. Obama wants to raise taxes on the rich to about 1 trillion over the next 10 years, which is about 100 billion per year. I doubt you'd actually get that much, but say you did, doesn't that leave 1.4 - 1.5 trillion left in deficits? Where are you going to get that money? What spending are you going to cut? I haven't seen anything definite from the pres or from the dems in Congress for what they'll cut, why is that? Shouldn't the American people see a plan from both sides?

You realize that if you suck a trillion dollars out of the economy over the next 10 years that there is an economic cost, right? Investments made by Americans will be reduced, as will foreign investments that we won't get the tax benefits from. Money flows to where it gets the most return, and there are plenty of emerging markets to invest in. Seems to me the democrats want a bigger piece of the same size pie rather than getting the same size piece of out a bigger pie. What's the difference? A bigger pie means more jobs, that's why. It also means less money going out in UE benefits and other gov't programs.

So tell me, if raising taxes is a good thing, why is every other country LOWERING taxes and cutting spending? ALL OF THEM, nobody is raising taxes. 15 years ago Canada was where we are now, relatively speaking. You know how they turned things around? They lowered taxes and cut spending. So why in God's name is Obama and the Dems trying to do the opposite?
did you look for a democratic plan?

Senate Democrats draft debt-reduction plan

By Lori Montgomery, Published: July 8

Senate Democrats have drafted a sweeping debt-reduction plan that would slice $4 trillion from projected borrowing over the next decade without touching the expensive health and retirement programs targeted by President Obama.
Instead, Senate Democrats are proposing to stabilize borrowing through sharp cuts at the Pentagon and other government agencies, as well as $2 trillion in new taxes, primarily on families earning more than $1 million year, according to a copy of the plan obtained by The Washington Post.

Senate Democrats draft debt-reduction plan - The Washington Post

It doesn't make sense to put out a plan that Republicans say they will reject anyways. That would waste a lot of time we do not have.

That's pretty lame man, wait all this time doing nothing and then say we ain't got enough time.

It has to start in Congress and I don't know whast Congress is waiting on to raise te debt limit.

also this

At a meeting with top House and Senate leaders set for Thursday morning, Obama plans to argue that a rare consensus has emerged about the size and scope of the nation’s budget problems and that policymakers should seize the moment to take dramatic action.

Republicans showed new signs of flexibility to break a budget impasse Wednesday, but the White House raised the ante, pushing for more deficit reduction and casting the GOP as defenders of corporate tax giveaways. (July 6)

As part of his pitch, Obama is proposing significant reductions in Medicare spending and for the first time is offering to tackle the rising cost of Social Security, according to people in both parties with knowledge of the proposal. The move marks a major shift for the White House and could present a direct challenge to Democratic lawmakers who have vowed to protect health and retirement benefits from the assault on government spending.
In debt talks, Obama offers Social Security cuts - The Washington Post

You're probably correct taxing those over $250,000, we will only raise about 100 billion, but who said that's the extent of the tax increases. I think the administration has identified a hundred billion in cuts. Also 140 billion in jobless benefits will expire without being renewed plus there is pickup in revenue due to the recovery. There is absolutely no plan to wipe out the deficit. They are just looking at getting it under control which means getting into the range of 400-700 billion. At that point the deficit as a percent of GDP is comparable to other developed nations.

No, every other country is not lowering their taxes. Most of the EU countries and UK as well as India, just for starters have either increased taxes are have plans to do so.

Last edited:
It doesn't make sense to put out a plan that Republicans say they will reject anyways. That would waste a lot of time we do not have.

Well, maybe they could start by issuing the plan, that is to say, the budget for 2009. Or for 2010. Or for 2011.

These worthless, lying a-holes haven't had a plan, or a clue, on spending since they got the majority. They are are blindly leading us all off the cliff.

You understand that if all the money is moved to the top 1%, there is no economic growth, right? Oh, wait, it's already happened.

Senate Democrats have drafted a sweeping debt-reduction plan that would slice $4 trillion from projected borrowing over the next decade without touching the expensive health and retirement programs targeted by President Obama.
Instead, Senate Democrats are proposing to stabilize borrowing through sharp cuts at the Pentagon and other government agencies, as well as $2 trillion in new taxes, primarily on families earning more than $1 million year, according to a copy of the plan obtained by The Washington Post.

So where's the Senate plan, where's the document that the CBO can score? Where's Obama's proposal, what are the details, when did the CBO score that? What I hear so far is talk, with nothing to show the public.

Not trying to be arbitrary here, but they are INCREASEING the debt by 1.5 Trillion per year.

They propose to decrease burrowing by 4 Trillion over ten years.

That's a Four Trillion reduction vs. a 15 Trillion dollar increase.

Sounds to me like their sweeping plan is a plan for another 11 Trillion dollars of debt.

What are these lying a-holes smoking? Do they think we are all smoking the same stuff?

That's pretty lame man, wait all this time doing nothing and then say we ain't got enough time.

It has to start in Congress and I don't know whast Congress is waiting on to raise te debt limit.

The Republicans are trying to reach an agreement to stop squandering the peoples' money on the politicians' bribes, graft, influence peddling and theft.

If we only raise the debt limit and do not change the MO that brought us to this Greece-like condition, we're screwed.

Well, maybe they could start by issuing the plan, that is to say, the budget for 2009. Or for 2010. Or for 2011.

These worthless, lying a-holes haven't had a plan, or a clue, on spending since they got the majority. They are are blindly leading us all off the cliff.

Democrats have given in to spending cuts. But the Republicans will not raise the debt limit unless Obama agress to continue the Bush tax cuts which he said he wouldn't do.

And they don't need a deal on spending or revenue to raise the debt limit...GOP is using this crisis to cut programs for the poor and middle class.

I don't care what the circumstance might be. I don't care what the difficulties might be.

The GOP contols only one leg of this tripod and they are doing what they can do to reign in the spending. The Dems have made promises to correct things by huge expenditures of burrowed money and show no signs of slowong the spending down.

This is the only chance the GOP has to stop the rocket ride into the pit.

If it takes a government shut down to do, then so be it. Shut it down and send all of the "non-essential" workers home. I bet that's most of them.

That's pure bullshit! While Republicans almost certainly reject any tax increases, they would like to hear suggestions on where spending can be cut. Calling the GOP "extremists" is NOT a plan. obama's storming out of a meeting because he's not getting his way is NOT a plan. Demanding an increase in the debt limit without a dollar for dollar spending decrease is NOT a plan. The GOP has proposed several plans. They have stated what they will accept. Rejecting the GOP plans appears to be the only plan obama can come up with and his plan sucks.

You're probably correct taxing those over $250,000, we will only raise about 100 billion, but who said that's the extent of the tax increases. I think the administration has identified a hundred billion in cuts. Also 140 billion in jobless benefits will expire without being renewed plus there is pickup in revenue due to the recovery. There is absolutely no plan to wipe out the deficit. They are just looking at getting it under control which means getting into the range of 400-700 billion. At that point the deficit as a percent of GDP is comparable to other developed nations.

No, every other country is not lowering their taxes. Most of the EU countries and UK as well as India, just for starters have either increased taxes are have plans to do so.

About 10 years ago, Canada was in the place we are right now. They reduced spending AND increased taxes. For every 6 dollars of reduced spending, they increased taxes by 1 dollar.

Result, they're doing great now. The Canadian dollar is worth more than the American Dollar. Let me say that again. The Canadian Dollar is worth more than the American Dollar.

We are the joke of the industrialized world. We can't hold our jobs. Our educational system is pumping out illiterates. We are the only country where most people are unilingual. We are like a retarded giant reeling drunken through the world spending daddy's money and acting like we're smarter than everyone else.

Wake up Americans! The party's over and it's time to start working using reality as the place to start our efforts.

So where's the Senate plan, where's the document that the CBO can score? Where's Obama's proposal, what are the details, when did the CBO score that? What I hear so far is talk, with nothing to show the public.

Oh! Oh! Oh!

I know the answer to this one.

They talk about things that sound good, but never, ever commit any ideas to paper that might be scored or accounted for effectiveness.

They are lying, swindling thieves with no plan, no integrity and no intention of fixing anything but the next election.

Forum List

Back