Some wealthy people apparently don't have enough money or enough sense to buy some class

I don't generally pick on folks for things like word choice and spelling because everyone makes mistakes. I make plenty of them, but here is the only public place where one can see that I do. I won't pretend that I proofread my posts before submitting them. I don't; thus if/when someone points them out -- explicitly or by inference -- I'm fine with owning my errors.

High ranking public officials publishing their thoughts is a different matter, especially when they aren't written in a purely conversational style as Trump's generally are. Betsy DeVos' Twitter post in which she expressed feeling honored to observe Trump's inauguration is one such example.

Now a tweet like hers wouldn't normally attract my ridicule, but.....DeVos is the Secy. of Education (SoE), and as such, I expect her to have full command of standard English spelling/capitalization, style, idiom and vocabulary, and I think she may not, at least not without the aid of an automated grammar checking software aid, at least one of which, BTW, is compatible with Twitter. I recognize that in rare instances, showing others what not to do is a viable way to lead, but I don't think that of an SoE or any other cabinet member.

C2yEdu7UcAAxu48.jpg

Difference between "historic" and "historical"

Yes, we know what she meant. Yes, it was a nice sentiment for her to share. She's nonetheless a grown woman and one with ample funds to buy English lessons at the local community college or prep school. Of course, she's not keen on public schools, but she has the money for a tutor. What she doesn't have is a strong command of English. Neither does she have an excuse for tweeting that slovenly composed tweet.

As if the mere fact of her publishing the poorly composed tweet, albeit one a middle-schooler could have written correctly, weren't enough, she blamed the errors on a staff member. Though I'm in no position to say an aide didn't post the tweet, as a principal and former business executive, I am in a position to say her doing so is ethically unconscionable. It's true that it's part of the staff's job to make their boss look good. It's also true that it's the boss' duty to take responsibility for everything that happens in their name.

Betsy DeVos gives us yet another illustration of the turpitude that pervades Trump's Administration. She should be ashamed of herself for placing the blame on someone else. The woman's filthy rich and one can only hope that she spends some of that money on a class that teaches the ways of good taste and social grace. Perhaps upon completing it, we'd see she actually knows what the word "honor" means.

Some people take great pride in their literacy, they pretend they're always engaged in a contest of intellect. These people generally feel defined by their expanded vocabulary and self proclaimed amazing gift. These literacy whores often times define others based on abilities or lack thereofas it relates to literacy. I find most of these people to be very introverted and usually categorize as super-nerds.
Some people simply try too hard to imply their intelligence and in my opinion come across as foolish when doing so.

Last edited:
Ah, a liberals are dishonest scum thread.

Liberals have been spinning this one for decades, Democrats are educated, Republicans are dumb hicks. Even when a Republican has an ivy league education and a resume packed full of career accomplishments. You libtards need to get some new material.

Please don't tell them that. The worn out material they continue to use is working out great for us.

It just makes you hate people who claim they are so highly educated and can't even pronounce words or make sentences:

Obama has already retired and left the white house. He can no longer do any damage. DeVos is just coming in and is going to be responsible for the study plans that teach our children, as well as the way schools are run, and can do a great deal.

But, I understand, deflection is all you have.

Oh, that's right. I forgot. This is a bash the Republican thread and Democrats exempt.

Got anything to say about DeVos, either positive or negative, because that is what this thread is about, not deflecting to Obama every time you feel your leaders are threatened.

No deflection. The thread is about being critical of DeVos as if these kinds of things only happen with Republicans. You leftists do this all the time.

People are protesting because she has no idea about public schools. She's never been in one, and neither have her children.

Oh please, they'll protest no matter what.

What if I said DeVos will forcefully extract every social justice teacher from the entire school system nationwide? Pulled up by the roots and cast aside.

Then what?

There are links in the post. Did you even read the post? Click on them.

So you admit that it was a staff member.

Then what is your point?

I do not admit a staff member wrote and posted the tweet. That is DeVos' claim.

You have nothing to the contrary. So you're desperate to make a mountain out of...a small ant hill.

You didn't read the OP. You didn't click on the reference links it contains and read the content there. Thus, you don't know what you are talking about and you don't know what the OP is about, and the nature of questions and statements you've been asking show both those things to be so.

You didn't read the OP. You didn't click on the reference links it contains and read the content there. Thus, you don't know what you are talking about and you don't know what the OP is about, and the nature of questions and statements you've been asking show both those things to be so.

Read it, your post says that the Tweet was made by a staff member.

Your rush to denigrate the new Education Secretary led to your own mistake. That's fine, lick your wounds and learn.

I don't generally pick on folks for things like word choice and spelling because everyone makes mistakes. I make plenty of them, but here is the only public place where one can see that I do. I won't pretend that I proofread my posts before submitting them. I don't; thus if/when someone points them out -- explicitly or by inference -- I'm fine with owning my errors.

High ranking public officials publishing their thoughts is a different matter, especially when they aren't written in a purely conversational style as Trump's generally are. Betsy DeVos' Twitter post in which she expressed feeling honored to observe Trump's inauguration is one such example.

Now a tweet like hers wouldn't normally attract my ridicule, but.....DeVos is the Secy. of Education (SoE), and as such, I expect her to have full command of standard English spelling/capitalization, style, idiom and vocabulary, and I think she may not, at least not without the aid of an automated grammar checking software aid, at least one of which, BTW, is compatible with Twitter. I recognize that in rare instances, showing others what not to do is a viable way to lead, but I don't think that of an SoE or any other cabinet member.

C2yEdu7UcAAxu48.jpg

Yes, we know what she meant. Yes, it was a nice sentiment for her to share. She's nonetheless a grown woman and one with ample funds to buy English lessons at the local community college or prep school. Of course, she's not keen on public schools, but she has the money for a tutor. What she doesn't have is a strong command of English. Neither does she have an excuse for tweeting that slovenly composed tweet.

As if the mere fact of her publishing the poorly composed tweet, albeit one a middle-schooler could have written correctly, weren't enough, she blamed the errors on a staff member. Though I'm in no position to say an aide didn't post the tweet, as a principal and former business executive, I am in a position to say her doing so is ethically unconscionable. It's true that it's part of the staff's job to make their boss look good. It's also true that it's the boss' duty to take responsibility for everything that happens in their name.

Betsy DeVos gives us yet another illustration of the turpitude that pervades Trump's Administration. She should be ashamed of herself for placing the blame on someone else. The woman's filthy rich and one can only hope that she spends some of that money on a class that teaches the ways of good taste and social grace. Perhaps upon completing it, we'd see she actually knows what the word "honor" means.
Spelling, punctuation and grammar Nazis should be beaten in their own safe rooms…
Bad spellers should take note of the red squiggly lines under some of their words. They should learn the difference between you're and your, etc., and then people wouldn't tease them so much.

C2yEdu7UcAAxu48.jpg

Spelling, punctuation and grammar Nazis should be beaten in their own safe rooms…
Bad spellers should take note of the red squiggly lines under some of their words. They should learn the difference between you're and your, etc., and then people wouldn't tease them so much.

Oh come on, like I said, everybody does it, especially when you're using a cell phone to make communications with other people.

C2yEdu7UcAAxu48.jpg

Some people take great pride in their literacy, they pretend they're always engaged in a contest of intellect. These people generally feel defined by their expanded vocabulary and self proclaimed amazing gift. These literacy whores often times define others based on abilities or lack thereofas it relates to literacy. I find most of these people to be very introverted and usually categorize as super-nerds.
Some people simply try too hard to imply their intelligence and in my opinion come across as foolish when doing so.
Easy, BL. OP just wants to play school. He's got a couple essay challenges going in Structured Debates, too. You not in the mood? Don't play.

C2yEdu7UcAAxu48.jpg

Oh come on, like I said, everybody does it, especially when you're using a cell phone to make communications with other people.
I do it, too. We all do. The trick is, can you catch it? Only if you know the difference.
I remind myself daily that Einstein couldn't spell for shit, either. I know it doesn't make you smart or not, but the basic homophones--people should try harder with those. Those are elementary school stuff.

Forum List

Back