Some U.S. states raise taxes for poor, cut taxes for others

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."

How many countries has Ben visited lately?

Not nearly as many. but then human nature hasnt changed in 200 years.

Not nearly as many. but then human nature hasnt changed in 200 years.

Government has.

We got rid of slavery, for instance. Big change there.

The US has a demand-side problem, not a supply-side problem. If there are no customers, then there is no business, so give business all the money in the world and they'll accept it without hiring anyone unless they can make profit. Poor people do not have extra money to spend, so taking money, even if it's welfare money, reduces potential business profit which reduces business's incentive to hire.

Study: Michigan among states raising poor's taxes - Yahoo! News

Now we know why the rich are getting richer and the poor poorer.

I am just asking you to make a decision.
Before though a story..
A man asked a woman "would you have sex with me for a million dollars?"
The woman said "yes!"
He asked "OK then would you have sex with me for $10?"
She huffed: " NO! what do you think I am a whore"?
The man : "Of course we are just haggling over the price"!

So at what price do you think handing money over to the "poor" which by the way in most states get the following"

In 2008, the fund that foots the bill for this program contributed $819 million to subsidize low-income telephone services. The fund is projected to grow to over $1 billion this year. That’s $1 billion of over $800 billion the United States will spend on welfare in 2010. Welfare recipients now eligible to receive cell phones
Welfare recipients now eligible to receive cell phones
a) Free Cell phone if the poor person receives just one of the below:
Food stamps * Medicaid * Section 8 * Supplemental Security Income * National School Lunch Program
b) food stamps get $200/month in free food.
c) Free rent Section 8 the Housing Choice Voucher program,
pays a large portion of the rents and utilities up to $1,000 /month

So these people get
=== $ 5,666 in EIC cash,
=== $12,000 free housing ,
=== $ 2,400 free food,
=== $ 1,200 in free cell phone plus
=== $ 5,000 a year in free health care from Medicaid.
So this is about $26,000 a year in FREE MONEY, free goods and free services...

How much more do you suggest we pay before we consider the "poor" be called "prostitutes"???

Forum List

Back