Some Things That Makes America Great

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
06-04-03-mount-rushmore-monume_465.jpg

I've visited and lived in several countries and trust me, there are no other countries like this one. Not even close. Some of the things that make this country great may not be what some call "useful" but that's the great thing about this country. There are so many ways you can waste time and there are so many ways you can do things to improve your lot in life.

One of the things that everyone in the world knows us for is our movies. Where else in the world do they make movies like we do? The only country I know of that even comes close is the UK. Our films are shown all over the world. We are known around the world by our movies. Another thing that separates us from other countries is television. I don't know of any countries with shows about everything from swamp people, to antiques, to singing and dancing. If there is a subject you ever wanted to watch I'm sure you can find it. Most countries have only a couple of state-run stations or like in Germany only a few stations with ether live events or nature documentaries. This is the birthplace of Rock & Roll. You recorded you music ether in Nashville or Hollywood. You were a small-time act till you made it the United States.

What other country has so many diverse cultures who can all call themselves Americans? The UN picked the right place because depending on what part of the country you live you'll see Israelis, Arabs, Native-Americans, Irish, Scots, African-Americans, Latinos, Indians, Pakistanis, Vietnamese, Tias, Cambodians, Chinese, Japanese, Canadians, Italians, Greeks, French, Brits, Samoans, Ethnic-Albanians, the list goes on. Because of this "melting-pot" we have so many different ethnic backgrounds that blend together. The trick is that they all remember that this is America, not the country they came from or escaped.

What other country has a Walmart you can shop at 24/7? Everywhere else I've been they close shortly after the sun goes down. If you want something to eat you have to go to a pub instead of a restaurant. You can't go down to a Minimart and buy a brewsky anytime you want.

No other country I've been to allows you to go from dirt-poor to filthy-rich in one lifetime. Some folks have done it in a matter of months. For the most part.....you're ether born into wealth or you have to steal it. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but most of the time if you're a worker-bee you're stuck there.

In America you don't have to wait till the weekend to drive your car or you Harley. You can do it every day. Being packed into buses and train-cars like sardines just to get to and from work every day isn't fun at all especially if you live in an overcrowded country like Japan. And if you want to see the country you can do it in air-conditioned comfort in your own car rather than stick to someone else's schedule. You can drive all the way across the country and see a friggen mouse at a theme-park if you want.

Most Americans can afford a cell phone, an Ipod, XBOX360, flat-paneled TVs, friggen shoes on their feet, hardwood floors, huge computer controlled refrigerators, carpet in the living-room and bedrooms, central heat and air, and if they can't afford it they can finance it.

In this country our government is worried about us being too fat. In some countries they don't know where their next meal is coming from. Some would point out that we can be a bit wasteful or over indulgent, but in this country it's not a crime to splurge. At least in the past it hasn't been. This country has always given in to excess mostly because we could afford it. No other country went to the moon. Baseball was invented here. The NFL is the number one pastime.

We're lucky to have been born here. This may not be the best country in the world but the opportunities here are greater than any I've ever been. It's a shame so many don't appreciate it.​

Flickr_jef_31871680-In-N-Out_Cheeseburgers-620x465.jpg

17072.jpg
washington-monument-address.jpg

natural_monuments.jpg

Last edited:
The title doesn't really grab you. Being patriotic on the 4th of July is so yesterday.

I noticed that most Americans don't think this country is great these days.

Guess you have to have lived outside the US to understand it.

Last edited:
In grudging respect, the following is what secured due respect from your peers and predecessors. It was the achievement that cemented your position as de facto superpower. Rome shone the light of civilisation upon the known world. Britain carried the torch throughout its empire. The United States achieved what neither could've ever imagined:

moonDM_428x269_to_468x312.jpg

In grudging respect, the following is what secured due respect from your peers and predecessors. It was the achievement that cemented your position as de facto superpower. Rome shone the light of civilisation upon the known world. Britain carried the torch throughout its empire. The United States achieved what neither could've ever imagined:

moonDM_428x269_to_468x312.jpg

One thing I noticed about London......I think there's close to 7 million comedians living there.

This is not in response to your post.

This is just an observation I made when I was there.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back