CA95380

USMB Member
Jul 23, 2008
Central California
"I didn't realize I was important until they made me shut up."
- Tommy Smothers

smothers.gif

The Smother's Brothers - 1969

Rumor had it that in 1969, Richard Nixon pressured CBS to cancel 'The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour', one of the network's top-rated and most profitable shows. It was said that the newly elected President didn't want a weekly comedy show ridiculing his administration (and its aggressive Vietnam war policy) the way the Smothers had done throughout the Johnson administration.
The Smothers Brothers Show
Late 1960's
[youtube]hVzjr-5F3ZM[/youtube]

? Mission Accomplished ?
[youtube]ummKvnnltr4[/youtube]
"WASTE DEEP IN THE BIG MUDDY"

Last edited:
This was well known at the time it happened.

Yes the Smothers Bothers show was cutting edge political satire at the time, and yes, NIXXON's henchemen did apply pressure for CBS to shut it down.

It was, at the time, one of, if not THE most popular program on TV, folks.

Still, CBS shut it down at the height of its popularity.

Why?

They were afraid of what NiXXon's henchmen could do to the network, had they not.

Conspiracy?

No.

Politics as usual.

Yes the Smothers Bothers show was cutting edge poltical satire at the time, and yes, NIXXON's henchemen did apply pressure for CBS to shut it down.

It was, at the time, one of, if not THE most populaar program on TV, folks.

Still, CBS shut it down at the heighth of its popularity.

Why?

They were afraid of what NiXXon's henchmen could do to the network, had they not.

Conspiracy?

No.

Politics as usual.

Unless you can specifically prove the above, it is conspiracy.. So.. Whatcha got?

Unless you can specifically prove the above, it is conspiracy.. So.. Whatcha got?

It wasn't a conspiracy, Shattered.

It was just government overstepping its authority by using it regulatory powers to threaten a corporation.

No conspiracy was necessary.

It was just government overstepping its authority by using it regulatory powers to threaten a corporation.

Maybe it was as simple as the owners of a few defense contractors and a few oil companies asking a favor of the owner of CBS over a brandy and a Cuban cigar at the club one evening...

-Joe

"Rumor has it"?

Yes the Smothers Bothers show was cutting edge political satire at the time, and yes, NIXXON's henchemen did apply pressure for CBS to shut it down.

It was, at the time, one of, if not THE most popular program on TV, folks.

Still, CBS shut it down at the height of its popularity.

Why?

Conspiracy?

No.

Politics as usual.

politics had nothing to do with it. the show was pissing off affilliates and sponsors big time. CBS told them to submit finished shows in time for the CBS censor to pull out anything "objectionable". The Smothers didn't do it (good for them) and the show was cancelled. It was a damn shame but the govt had nothing to do with it.

are you this gullible in real life?

Granted..In 1969, I was just being dropped from the sky by a giant bird carrying a sheet, but still... Rumor has it.

but they never threatened Walter Cronkite when he came out against the war which was a much bigger deal than the Smothers Brothers satire of same. you really need to get a grip.

I am glad that some of you find this interesting, too.

The reason I posted this? Yesterday afternoon, there was an advertisment on tv 'selling' DVD's of the old Smother's Brothers Show. First time I had seen the ad.

It made me think about all of the people that are now getting 'booted' off .... or should be booted - perhaps (matter of opinions) .... from television for having their say, (in 2007/2008), wrong or riight, for censorship. The Smothers Brothers were booted because of censorship. Could you imagine what wouild have happened in 1969 with Imus, Michael Richards, Michael Moore, Howard Stern, Jerry Springer .... just to mention a few :confused: We discussed this in another thread that started with Bernhart's comments about Palin.

When I was looking for links to back what I was thinking about Tom and Dick Smothers I came across the YouTube ....WASTE DEEP IN THE BIG MUDDY 2006 ..... that video is what brought me to think ..... "somethings never change".

Forum List

Back