Some States Weighing Marijuana Reform

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
OLYMPIA, Wash. – Washington is one of four states where measures to legalize and regulate marijuana have been introduced, and about two dozen other states are considering bills ranging from medical marijuana to decriminalizing possession of small amounts of the herb.

"In terms of state legislatures, this is far and away the most active year that we've ever seen," said Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of the New York-based Drug Policy Alliance, which supports reforming marijuana laws.

Nadelmann said that while legalization efforts are not likely to get much traction in state capitals anytime soon, the fact that there is such an increase of activity "is elevating the level of public discourse on this issue and legitimizing it."

High expectations? States weigh marijuana reform - Yahoo! News

Good for Washington.

Common sense legislation is long overdue

Some States Weighing Marijuana Reform

Pounds or Kilos?

You tell me, you live in one of the states wanting to do this. What are your thoughts Huggy?

Haven't smoked any for many..many years. My brother has smoked it for the last 40 years. Talked to him last night. No observable brain damage. So what do you want me to say.."The government lied about the effects of pot?" OK..the government lied about the effects of pot. Time to move on. There is alot of money being spent on pot. If we make it legal like booz and regulate its sale with taxes I think we would find an amazing boost to caufers of towns counties and states without pissing off anybody that doesn't deserve to get pissed off..or pissed on.:lol:

legalize it , tax the hell out of it and restrict it like alcohol.

Less violence on the mexican border, more tax revenue , fewers jail cells filled with harmless people and many people who will do THC instead of alcohol which will be safer for everyone.

OLYMPIA, Wash. – Washington is one of four states where measures to legalize and regulate marijuana have been introduced, and about two dozen other states are considering bills ranging from medical marijuana to decriminalizing possession of small amounts of the herb.

This makes perfect sense for ALL states imo.

IMHO those busy bodies that want to impose thier lifestyles on others are assholes.

I do think it should be illegal to smoke pot around kids. Imposing ones own habits on another is as wrong as restricting others from making thier own choices. I'm not sure what age that choice should be free but I am tired of dumb ass religious people telling the world what they can and can't do.

Last edited:
legalize it , tax the hell out of it and restrict it like alcohol.

Hi Truth. I agree on legalizing it. However, I don't agree that the government needs to "tax the hell out of it". We don't owe it to the government to give them our money for anything and everything we do. Smoking weed should be legal for those of legal age and the government should collect a very small tax to help cover the inevitable government oversight of the program.

The problem with taxation is that government wants more and more of our money to spend it frivolously or to simply give it away to their constituents, special interests groups, etc.

Yes, I'm all for legalization, for many reasons. However, we need to change the mentality that we are somehow obligated to give everything we produce to the freaking, no-good, incompetent and corrupt government.

I doubt you could recognize brain-damage.

lol, :clap2: (c'mon, that was funny)

Reform of these marijuana laws are long over due, for no other reason than freeing up the resources to fight real crime. Put the sweet Mary Jane in the hands of taxpaying, license holding farmers/retailers, and take it out of the non-taxpaying, real criminals hands.
You could only tax it to the extent that the average individual wouldn't bother with growing or purchasing it illegally.

I doubt you could recognize brain-damage.

lol, :clap2: (c'mon, that was funny)

Reform of these marijuana laws are long over due, for no other reason than freeing up the resources to fight real crime. Put the sweet Mary Jane in the hands of taxpaying, license holding farmers/retailers, and take it out of the non-taxpaying, real criminals hands.
You could only tax it to the extent that the average individual wouldn't bother with growing or purchasing it illegally.

Maybe...I don't give that member any more credit than his neg reps confirm. Unfortunately this was the first time he popped his head up in my line of fire and perhaps I was too quick on varmint duty.

On a more serious tack..

I think observing someone you care about for almost 60 years total is a good sample. I knew him before drugs and after. I knew how he functioned before and after. Honestly I think he deals with the world better self medicated. Pot makes me stupid... or in the minds of others possibly more stupid. :lol: With him there seems to be just the opposite effect.

"I don't think in almost 4,000 posts..."

WOW ! 4000 posts. You should get a job sonny, obviously you have too much time on your hands. Why don't you try security in the Trailer park ?

Okay kiddies..........Uncle Rob is gonna tell y'all some stuff about cannabis..........

It should be LEGAL.

First, let's take care of the Christians on this. In the Bible, God told Adam and Eve "if it grows out of the ground, you may have it".

He also reiterated that point to Moses on top of Sinai from the burning bush.

God's Chosen People (the Hebrews) not only used cannabis medicinally, they used it recreationally, as well as ceremoniously. How do I know? An extremely good archaeologist who works for History Channel International named Simcha, has done some shows on it. See......he's "The Naked Archaeologist", and he's shown excavations of burial chambers where cannabis and cannabis pipes were buried with the people.

Oh yeah......it's also one of the ingredients of the Holy Anointing Oil used to crown the Kings of Israel.

Now, remember this.......plants are not drugs.

I'll say it again........plants are not drugs, they're plants. And, the best place you can see where a plant ceases to be a plant and becomes a drug is to look at the cocoa leaves in South America.

They only grow at altitude, and, as a result, chewing cocoa leaves at altitude can help you cope with the thin air better, as well as gives you about the same amount of energy as a couple of cups of coffee.

However............pound 'em down, and bathe them with a solution to remove the plant material and chlorophyll? Well.....now it's a drug, because you've taken out all the safety valves (chlorophyll and plant material), leaving only the active substance.

It's kinda like taking off the safety valves on your hot water heater and firing it up. Result is that it explodes.

So does your heart when you use cocaine.

Now. As far as marijuana? The active ingredient is THC, but, interestingly enough, when you take out the plant material, leaving only the THC (which is the pharmaceutical known as Marinol), did you know that Marinol actually is LESS EFFECTIVE than smoke plant material? Apparently, it seems that there is some sort of symbiotic thing going on between the THC and the plant material, to make it easier for the body to absorb.

And, the scientists have done extensive studies, and guess what.......you cannot become addicted to pot. Matter of fact, there is a group of yogis over in India who do nothing but smoke cannabis all day that is brought to them (along with food) by pilgrims who wish to make an offering to the deities.

Only 1 has ever been concerned about addiction.

As far as the smoking? Well........the Royal British Medical Society has found that people who smoke cigarettes only are 21 times more likely to die of lung cancer than those who smoke nothing.

Smoking pot only? Your chances of lung cancer when compared to someone who never smoked is 0.93 to 0.73 percent chance of cancer.

Oh yeah, Harvard Medical School has determined the various stages of pot use. Light is less than 20 joints per day. Moderate use is 25-50 joints per day.

Heavy use is 50 or more (hey........I'm not the doctor that did the study, I just report it).

Now, let's talk about the governmental and commercial issues...............

If we legalized cannabis, the prison population would drop SIGNIFICANTLY. Pot was made illegal incidentally, because a racist in the FBI named H.P. Anslinger made it illegal, because the major consumers in 1939 were blacks and mexicans. Anslinger wanted to make it so that he could lock up all the non-whites legally, so he made pot illegal.

Oh yeah, in California alone, pot is a 1 BILLION DOLLAR A YEAR PLUS VENTURE! Seems that California's number one cash crop is cannabis.

It would also help with illegal immigration. Why? Well, in Mexico, cannabis grows very well. We legalize it here, the illegals go back to Mexico to grow pot, because now, they can stay with their families at their homes and still make fat cash from America.

Would also help with trade relations between the US, Mexico and Canada. Wanna see a real NAFTA that works? Start with cannabis.

Never mind that after chopping off the buds, you can use the rest of the plant to make oil, fiber, food, fiberglass, plastic...........biofuel..........lots of stuff.

My question is, why the hell isn't it legal yet? Oh yeah......blame Nixon throwing away the study he commissioned from government scientists about cannabis called "The LaGuardia Report".

Wanna know more? Go to your video store and rent the documentary "Grass" narrated by Woody Harrelson.

Where would music be without pot?

Would there have been R-n-R without pot?
No! All the old rockers smoked pot. At least every one I met and I met a bunch of em including many of the black r-n-b guys.

Want to know why all the musicians smoke pot?

Simple.......it's been spoken of by a great jazz legend who stated "pot helps you play music between the notes".

I've got a theory on the why of that one incidentally..........

Studies have been done concerning the effects of cannabis on the brain (and THC is chemically tailored for the human brain), and they've found that a person's sense of time is warped while they are stoned.

My theory? It's because the THC affects the electrical output of the brain, which results in faster thinking.

Sort of like when you do a speed upgrade on your computer (because remember, the brain is run on electricity).

And, because rock and roll came from blues and jazz, is it any wonder that today's musicians smoke?

And speaking of brains and pot, did you know that doctors have found that cannabis, when smoked regularly, helps to slow down the effects of Alzheimer's? Too bad Reagan and his wife Nancy didn't want to pay attention to the reports, otherwise Ronny would have had a better quality of life in the last years of his life.

Incidentally, it's showing promise for that epidemic of our kids known as autism. Did you know that 1 in 150 kids in America has that affliction? It seems that the brains of people with autism have lost some of the insulation on their synapses. Cannabis helps slow that down and smooth it out so that the outside stimulus doesn't go off as bright as normal.

Last edited:
GayBiker,

You will burn in hell for your comments. I curse your soul and I will no longer pray for your homosexual repentance.

GayBiker,

You will burn in hell for your comments. I curse your soul and I will no longer pray for your homosexual repentance.

That's right.......I forgot that hard science and facts interfere with your little perfect world of the ignorant believer.

Like Huggy said Yakking One......

Fuck Off.

New Topics

Forum List

Back