Some see racist theme in alien adventure 'Avatar'

beowolfe

Aug 3, 2009
Near the end of the hit film "Avatar," the villain snarls at the hero, "How does it feel to betray your own race?" Both men are white — although the hero is inhabiting a blue-skinned, 9-foot-tall, long-tailed alien.

Strange as it may seem for a film that pits greedy, immoral humans against noble denizens of a faraway moon, "Avatar" is being criticized by a small but vocal group of people who allege it contains racist themes — the white hero once again saving the primitive natives.

Some see racist theme in alien adventure 'Avatar' - Yahoo! News

Near the end of the hit film "Avatar," the villain snarls at the hero, "How does it feel to betray your own race?" Both men are white — although the hero is inhabiting a blue-skinned, 9-foot-tall, long-tailed alien.

Strange as it may seem for a film that pits greedy, immoral humans against noble denizens of a faraway moon, "Avatar" is being criticized by a small but vocal group of people who allege it contains racist themes — the white hero once again saving the primitive natives.

Some see racist theme in alien adventure 'Avatar' - Yahoo! News

Same vocal minority that just saved Australia from the blatant racism of KFC, by any chance?

If no more white actors were cast in future as the lead in any film where anyone who is not white is being saved from anything, anywhere, this vocal minority would just find something else to bitch about.

They should be sealed in a box that reads "Break glass only when there's nothing important to discuss".

Now I feel bad.

I should have seen the obvious left wing, enviro-nut view.
And I should have seen the racism and the White Man's Burden stuff.

I may have to go back to see it again but first I have to read loony right and loony left views so I can properly understand it next time.

And here's me thinking it was simply a breathtaking film, a stupendous cinematic achievement.

Fuck it, I miss all the good bits.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
It's a racist, left wing, environmental friendly propaganda film that's a rip off of Pocahontas.

Have I got it all right then?

Hell, I think I'm the only person on EARTH that hasn't seen it, it's made like a Billion+ Dollars, eh?

It's a racist, left wing, environmental friendly propaganda film that's a rip off of Pocahontas.

Hell, I think I'm the only person on EARTH that hasn't seen it, it's made like a Billion+ Dollars, eh?

you forgot the part where obama brings ted kennedy coffee.

or something...

you forgot the part where obama brings ted kennedy coffee.

or something...

FOILED AGAIN!

:evil:

I haven't seen it either. Sounds a bore to me. I didn't see Titanic either. Maybe you, me and Strollingbones should form some sort of Film Unappreciation club.

I haven't seen it either. Sounds a bore to me. I didn't see Titanic either. Maybe you, me and Strollingbones should form some sort of Film Unappreciation club.

LOL!

I didn't see Titanic until about 2 years ago when my daughter wanted to watch it. She then had to watch it ALL the time! :eek:

LOL!

I didn't see Titanic until about 2 years ago when my daughter wanted to watch it. She then had to watch it ALL the time! :eek:

I'm starting to notice a significant number of small differences between movies released in the US and the versions released in Britain.

Happened again last night. I was watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire with my 12 year old, and twice in quick succession we saw things that were not in the British version. Not things that made any difference to the plot, just little differences.

The same is apparently true of Avatar. In the Brit version, the hero is a part black, part asian lesbian, the human settlers are all rich white male republicans and the 9ft tall blue natives all have a striking resemblance to Sean Penn.

Forum List

Back