Some Republican Presidential Candidates Do Not Believe in Evolution

Discussion in 'Politics' started by onedomino, May 7, 2007.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    During the recent Republican Presidential Debate the question was asked, “Who doesn’t believe in Evolution?” Three of the candidates actually raised their hands: Brownback, Huckabee, and Tancredo. The capacity to deny the overwhelming evidence that supports bio-chemical evolution spotlights their capacity for self-delusion. Moreover, it shows their ability to disregard a preponderance evidence in favor of a religious belief. In my opinion, no one with those characteristics should be President.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Agreed. Put me down as "stunned".

3. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Anyone who says that they don't believe in evolution doesn't fully understand it. It's been my experience that a good majority of those who don't believe in evolution are under the false assumption that evolution only means humans evolved from monkeys. Personally, I think someone saying that they don't believe in evolution is just as ignorant as saying that AIDs can be transmitted through tears and sweat.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Jennifer.Bush

Jennifer.Bush Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    well evolution is a theory not a fact, let's not act like evoultion is not debatable, but i don't believe "god" made us

5. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Isn't it the case in science that until a new theory comes along which shoves the other one out of the way that the prevailing theory, while it's accepted, is still tested and tested? So it must be debatable.

I mean the very fact that science accepts (for the moment) the ideas of Darwin rather than Lamarck surely means that Darwin's ideas were once tested and that they are continually tested. But also, while Darwin is preferred over Lamarck, Lamarck did contribute to human understanding of evolution or we wouldn't remember him.

I would think there are plenty of scientists who would dearly love to prove Darwin wrong, at least in some part, so that they could see their own findings tentatively accepted.

6. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,205
    I have to wonder what it matters?

I dont particularly care the theory of evolution. leaves alot of questions for me. but i guess because i dont blindly accept it as the unalterable truth that makes me deluded?

I think its healthy to question, explore and learn. Thats what science is all about.

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,010
    If specific questions were not asked and answered by these individuals one can not assume they mean a blanket denial of evolution.

I believe in the general theory of Evolution, EXCEPT I do NOT believe man developed from apes or an "ape like creature". So in a general question I would answer based on what I thought was the main thrust of the questioner.

I do agree these three should have been more careful how they answered this loaded question, if all they did is indicate a disbelief to such a generic question I would suspect they thought they would be able to go into detail on the answer.

The Theory of Evolution is not proven in any meaningful way. It involves a myriad of basic assumptions that are still unproven or in some cases unprovable. Having said that, the wealth of current research does seem to be pretty specific on evolution WITHIN a species. Thus to dismiss the theory out of hand is not a wise choice.

Evolution and Religion are not incompatable, one can believe in both easily.

8. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    I don't know about you, but to me whether a Presidential candidate believes in the theory of evolution is more revealing than whether he supports abortion or not. But that's just me.

It's why I support the notion of intelligent design to be objectively taught and scrutinized in high school biology.

9. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I explained why it matters to me in the post that started this thread.

You may not care for the theory, but the preponderance of evidence supporting bio-chemical evolution on Earth is overwhelming. Almost every objective person will acknowledge that. Most people who deny the reality of evolution do so on the basis that it seems to contradict a literal interpretation of the Bible. Clearly, acceptance of the theory of evolution does not in any way contradict belief in the existence of God. There are other examples that make irrational a literal interpretation of the Bible. For example, one may not care for the theory that the Universe is older than what is indicated in the Bible, but the mass of evidence overwhelms such belief. The reality is different than what is suggested by the Book. Here is what Brownback, Huckabee, and Tancredo disregard: some things are true whether one believes in them or not.

10. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    That may well be true. However, the questioner indicated that it was a "show of hands" question and asked everyone at the same time. The moment passed so quickly, and the camera angle was so poor, that it was difficult to know which three had raised their hands. It was only by reading about the debate later that I learned it was Brownback, Huckabee, and Tancredo. I must say, that given what I know about the other positions and beliefs of these men, I am not surprised that they were the three that denied belief in Evolution.

My favorite candidate in the debate was Duncan Hunter, though almost no one else shares that view. This past weekend, I listened to a speech given by Fred Thompson at the Lincoln Club in Orange County, CA. I was impressed, but as one might expect at this stage, the speech was short on specifics.