Some perspective on Bristol Palin's pregnancy

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
In Wasilla, Pregnancy Was No Secret

That's about the only thing that I didn't know about Bristol Palin's pregnancy. The rest of the details I picked up almost without trying, while talking about other things with townsfolk — some who know the governor and her family well, some who don't. It was, more or less, an open secret. And everyone was saying the same thing: the governor's 17-year-old daughter is pregnant, the father is her boyfriend, and it's really nobody's business beyond that.

I happen to agree.

This tiny town wedged in between the Chugach and Talkeetna mountain ranges has intrigued the whole country since John McCain's surprise Friday announcement that Wasilla's favorite daughter, Sarah Palin, would be his running mate. Sure, some of the interest was a prelude to attacks on Palin's readiness for national office. But Wasilla also offered a welcome chance to get specific about the geography of a politician. It's one of our most cherished myths, that a leader can come from somewhere and you can guess at their qualities not just by what they say, but where they live.

In Wasilla, Pregnancy Was No Secret - TIME

Be sure to read both pages.

Her pregnancy is a reflection on her mothers views thats why the attacks. Has nothing to do with Bristols mistake.

If mom wants those views for us all she better enforce them at home.

Her pregnancy is a reflection on her mothers views thats why the attacks. Has nothing to do with Bristols mistake.

You are gonna have to explain that one a little better.

No matter how much you tell your kids to practice abstinence they will make their own choices. While you may say this is clear evidence we should be preaching safe sex in schools, this is not so. It is up to the parents to preach safe sex to their children, it's not up to government.

You're blaming Sarah for her daughter doing what most teenagers do?

Get real.

you really can't say that it's a reflection of her mother's views. Perhaps more a rebellion against her mother's views?

or, how about mom said abstinence but school said its ok, but use a condom, and the condom failed?
hmmmm

How about mom said abstinence, school said contraception and her daughter said " Thank you --now I will make my own CHOICE !

Gee this whole slant is strange, I admit I thought I had seen everything on the internet but the amount of bizarre ideas coming out of the woodwork, from various groups, on this issue, was something I wouldn't have expected.

Personally, I was pregnant before marriage. I was 29 at the time and through college so it's a little different.

My husband's mom had her first child as a teen, and that child had her first child as a teen, and I am not sure if either were married but I think both were high school sweetheart types.

I am pretty open minded, I plan to vote Obama/Biden, I don't find this pregnancy scandalous AT ALL. What the??? I expect there is as good a chance my daughters will accidentally become pregnant as that they won't - and why would that be a problem? If I am around to help I certainly will.

It's just bizarre to me that this story has any legs at all. There were lots of girls getting preggers in HS back in the day, and it hasn't changed.

Condoms are a good idea because of STD. They also prevent pregnancy, most of the time. Sex, well, I don't want my kids to have it today but I hope they are having it as young adults. 17? I think I expect it, though of course I guess I'd rather they waited.

I just don't get the scandal here. I don't expect the schools to teach my kids about condoms. That's the parents' job. My kids have always been able to talk about 'body stuff' with me and we've broached birth control already.

Palin's family is her own business. The reason she shouldn't be VP of the US is because she would be a heartbeat away from being commander in chief of the most powerful military in the world, and she doesn't sound as though she knows much about foreign affairs.

Her views on sex-ed are beside the point. Whether it gets taught in school or not is silly. Nothing keeps me and my kids from continuing our frank and open discussions about these things. Put her in charge of a nuclear arsenal, on the other hand, and I'm a little more concerned about the country.

Last edited:

That's bullshit and you know it. There is no rule set in stone nor evidence to support that seventeen years olds are reflections of what their parents taught them. That's just the best parents can hope for. I haven't seen it often turn out that way.

Gee this whole slant is strange, I admit I thought I had seen everything on the internet but the amount of bizarre ideas coming out of the woodwork, from various groups, on this issue, was something I wouldn't have expected.

Personally, I was pregnant before marriage. I was 29 at the time and attaining an advanced degree so it's a little different.

My husband's mom had her first child as a teen, and that child had her first child as a teen, and I am not sure if either were married but I think both were high school sweetheart types.

I am pretty open minded, I plan to vote Obama/Biden, I don't find this pregnancy scandalous AT ALL. What the??? I expect there is as good a chance my daughters will accidentally become pregnant as that they won't - and why would that be a problem? If I am around to help I certainly will.

It's just bizarre to me that this story has any legs at all. There were lots of girls getting preggers in HS back in the day, and it hasn't changed.

Condoms are a good idea because of STD. They also prevent pregnancy, most of the time. Sex, well, I don't want my kids to have it today but I hope they are having it as young adults. 17? I think I expect it, though of course I guess I'd rather they waited.

I just don't get the scandal here. I don't expect the schools to teach my kids about condoms. In fact, the more open parents are with their kids about sex ed, the less need there is for ballot initiatives requiring parental notification for abortions, which I oppose for a variety of reasons, surrounding personal liberty. The best way to reduce abortion is to reduce poverty.

I always thought ballot initiatives requiring parental notification were bizarre, I expect there will be another this fall. A healthy family and society would have frank and open conversations about sex, and parental notification would happen as a matter of course. My kids have always been able to talk about 'body stuff' with me and we've broached birth control already.

Palin's family is her own business. The reason she shouldn't be VP of the US is because she would be a heartbeat away from being commander in chief of the most powerful military in the world, and she doesn't sound as though she knows much about foreign affairs.

Her views on sex-ed are beside the point. Whether it gets taught in school or not is silly. Nothing keeps me and my kids from continuing our frank and open discussions about these things. Put her in charge of a nuclear arsenal, on the other hand, and I'm a little more concerned about the country.
i feel that the schools should tell the truth to the kids
there is no such thing as safe sex
all types of contraceptives have failure points
why not just tell them that the only "safe sex" is no sex
and if they are going to take the risk and have sex anyway, they should at least use a contraceptive and use a condom as well because it does offer some protection on the spread of STD's

That's bullshit and you know it. There is no rule set in stone nor evidence yo support that seventeen years olds are reflections of what their parents taught them. That's just the best parents can hope for. I haven't seen it often turn out that way.
truth

What makes you think that Bristol made a mistake? Perhaps she wanted to get married and have a baby? I don't know, but neither you do...

Last edited:
Ame®icano;761709 said:
What makes you think that Bristol made a mistake? Perhaps she wanted to get married and have a baby? I don't know, but neither you do...

if she were already married I'd agree but the girl is 17. Do you think she wanted to get pregnant and THEN get married? GMAFB.

just admit that it's not the best circumstance for Palin to be involved in and move the hell on.

The more excuses the conservatives make for it the more the libs are gonna beat it like a dead horse.

if she were already married I'd agree but the girl is 17. Do you think she wanted to get pregnant and THEN get married? GMAFB.

just admit that it's not the best circumstance for Palin to be involved in and move the hell on.

The more excuses the conservatives make for it the more the libs are gonna beat it like a dead horse.

Sure she didn't mean to get pregnant, did the other upteen million mean to get pregnant? The question is, what the hell does this have to do with her ability to serve as VP?

Last edited:

I actually know girls who wanted to get pregnant when they were still in high school. It's a small town mentality, really.

Forum List

Back