Some people just can't let it rest

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
Black mans tombstone desecrated

JASPER, Texas - The tombstone of a black man who was dragged to his death was found broken, with an obscenity and racial epithet carved into a metal plate on the bottom of the stone, police said.

"We hoped he could rest in peace," said Stella Byrd, the mother of 1998 dragging victim James Byrd Jr. "They've done enough to him already."

Two people at the Jasper City Cemetery tending to a relative's gravesite Thursday afternoon noticed the damage, police said.

The granite headstone, noting Byrd's date of birth as May 2, 1949, was broken from its base, according to Beaumont television station KFDM.

An obscenity and racial epithet were carved into a small metal plate on the bottom of the broken tombstone. Byrd's name and birthdate were engraved on the plate.

Police Chief Stanley Christopher told the station the desecration apparently happened in the past couple of days. The case is being investigated as criminal mischief, he said. There have been no arrests. The site has been fingerprinted.

City Manager David Douglas said police patrols around the city cemetery have been increased.

The grave has been disturbed before. Not long after Byrd's burial, a small brass nameplate was removed from the site.

Byrd was on his way home from a party June 7, 1998, when he crossed the path of three white men who had been out drinking.

The men took Byrd to a country road, beat him, chained him to their truck by his ankles, and dragged him more than two miles until he was dismembered and decapitated.

Two were convicted and sentenced to death; one received life in prison.

Well all I can say is who really defaces gravesites anymore, except the French?

The damn French are behind this!

But where does 44yearold Ken Tillery fit into all this? Just a month ago, in the town of Jasper, three men in a car offered Tillery a ride, which he accepted only to be kidnapped and driven, against his will, to a remote location. When the terrified Tillery jumped out of the vehicle and tried to flee, the kidnappers caught up with him, beat him, and finally ran over him dragging him to his death beneath their car’s undercarriage.

Ken Tillery’s name is unfamiliar to most Americans. Though he died very near to where James Byrd had died before him, few people outside of Jasper ever heard about his gruesome slaying. No civil rights activists attended his funeral. There were no pained oped pieces lamenting his death. No prominent political figures issued public statements about the national significance of his killing. Mr. Tillery, you see, was white, and his three killers Darrell Gilbert, Blake Little, and Anthony Holmes were black. Thus his death had no political currency for those whose reputations depend upon their ability to portray themselves as crusaders for justice, ever guarding against white racism. Even though blackonwhite killings far outnumber the whiteonblack variety in this country, unfortunate people like Ken Tillery die in complete anonymity as opposed to unfortunate people like James Byrd, whose deaths are spotlighted in the national media. Should a murder victim’s skin color determine the significance of his or her death? It’s a serious question, well worth pondering.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=1337

good article D, I hadn't heard of this either. guess Kay Hutchinson is going to get yet another email from me.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
good article D, I hadn't heard of this either. guess Kay Hutchinson is going to get yet another email from me.
One of the reasons that the James Byrd story was such a big story is because of the fact that it was so rare.

Let a black man tell you:
When three white men dragged black James Byrd to death in Jasper, Texas, President Clinton quite properly called the crime "shocking and outrageous." "In the face of this tragedy," Clinton said, "(the people of Jasper) must join together across racial lines to demonstrate that an act of evil like this is not what this country is all about. I think that we've all been touched by it, and I can only imagine that virtually everyone who lives there is in agony at this moment. They must re-affirm, and so must we, that we will not tolerate this."

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/elder102600.asp

"It's ok to kill white people. We deserve it."

Frustratingly, there is something to this. If a people absolutely REFUSE to defend themselves, who do they have to blame? Heck, Palestinians fight back. American Indians fought back (though they lost). William Wallace and the Scots fought back against the English.

But white people are not only NOT fighting back, they are 1) ignoring what is happening to them, 2) getting all mad whenever one of their own kind says, Hey, think there might be a problem here? 3) not banding together for protection, 4) censoring discussion of race and racial difference, 5) playing Bob Marley on their college stereo, 6) petrified to say they're even white, 7) constantly self-bashing about how 'racist' they are and how they have to 'change', 8) apologizing to anyone and everything for being white, 9) offering to pay off anyone who demands it, 10) offering their daughters up for sacrifice, 11) reacting to the murder of their children by blacks
by apologizing to the black murderers and their families , and 12) proving their moral worth by pretending to be multicultural.

At this rate, who do whites have to blame but themselves? I know I bash Jews and blacks a lot, and they usually deserve it, but in the end, this is about WHITE PEOPLE and their own failure to protect themselves. If they're not going to do it, don't cry for a race of cowards.

Though once again William Joyce goes too far, I agree with some of that actually. It shouldn't make any difference what race someone is. What happened to that guy is just as bad and there should have been just as much stuff about that.

Perhaps one day we will evolve sufficiently to develop an ability to respect our fellow citizens regardless of pigmentation. But we will have to do it on our own, because our government is encouraging racism.

Quotas and racial preferences are the obvious lightning rods for discussions of institutionalized racism, but that's not where I'm going with this. Consider instead, so-called "hate" crimes and "hate" speech.

The redneck swine who dragged James Byrd Jr. to his death committed homicide. So did the black bastards who murdered Ken Tillery. Two of the three who killed Mr. Byrd were sentenced to death for his murder. There were already laws on the books which provided appropriate punishment for the criminals involved in either of these cases. Also in the case of the beating of the homosexual who was left to die in a barbed wire fence, laws were in place to provide appropriate and adequate punishment for such crimes.

"Hate" crimes are a construct of sleazy politicians who wanted to hand the suckers a warm fuzzy while catering to homosexual and ethnic groups. If there is a death penalty for first degree murder, then what difference does it make what motivated the perpetrator? I believe that the intentional taking of a human life is sufficiently heinous that additional hyperbole is neither required nor appropriate. And once the state has killed the criminal, what else is there to do? What good does it do to label a homicide a "hate crime"?

So what has hate crime legislation accomplished? It has not increased the conviction rate for murder, assault and battery, or manslaughter. But it HAS created a special category of victims and it creates discrimination against white males.

The REALLY outrageous part of this whole mess is that if a member of an ethnic minority murders another member of an ethnic minority, that is NOT a hate crime. That is simply a homicide. If a homosexual murders another homosexual, that is not a hate crime, that too, is a homicide. What if a straight black man murders a homsexual? Gets confusing doesn't it?

So it boils down to this: ONLY white males can commit hate crimes and ONLY if the victim of that crime is a member of a minority group or a homosexual.

Let's take a more mundane example. Let's say that I am involved in a minor fender bender with another driver who happens to be black. Let's say that the post-mishap "discussion" gets a little heated and blows are exchanged. Will I be charged with a "hate" crime because I struck a black man? Will I have to prove what was on my mind and in my heart during this confrontation? And why should it make any difference in the eyes of the law? Will the black man be charged with a "hate" crime? Fat chance.

So once again it's style over substance. We confer preferential status to one type of murder over others and that has institutionalized EXACTLY the type of discriminatory conduct it was supposed to discourage. Hate crime legislation has done nothing to deter hate crimes. Instead, hate crime legislation has loosened the blindfold from the statue of justice. She can now peek just long enough to check your skin tone.

Merlin-

Bravo!

Yes, the murders of Byrd, Tillery, & Shepard were mortifyingly disgusting & tragic, but this whole "hate crime" issue is just another way for liberals to feel better about themselves and, once again, damage our justice system.

Hate crime is Hate crime and it sucks !!! Let that poor soul rest in peace !!

Merlin1047

I agree. All this "hate crime" stuff is BS. How do you prove it? Why doe it matter what their motives are if they commit first-degree murder? It's still murder. Does it somehow make it worse if it is racially motivated? I don't see why it should. It's no worse than killing someone because they felt like it. It's even worse when the crime is not murder (or even attempted murder), like your fender bender example. There also are cases of people merely saying or writing something. Those are the worst, because it is punishing people for what they think (isn't that what liberals say that conservatives do?).

Originally posted by tim_duncan2000
Merlin1047

I agree. All this "hate crime" stuff is BS. How do you prove it? Why doe it matter what their motives are if they commit first-degree murder? It's still murder. Does it somehow make it worse if it is racially motivated? I don't see why it should. It's no worse than killing someone because they felt like it. It's even worse when the crime is not murder (or even attempted murder), like your fender bender example. There also are cases of people merely saying or writing something. Those are the worst, because it is punishing people for what they think (isn't that what liberals say that conservatives do?).

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree... there should be no such thing in the law as a "hate crime." Murder is murder, assault is assault, rape is rape.

America in Black and White offers a massive amount of data on numerous aspects of America's racial dilemma, from poverty, crime, and politics to education. The authors acknowledge that the current gap in cognitive skills "must be closed if the black middle class is to continue to expand." They also note that "if the African-American crime rate suddenly dropped to the current level of the white crime rate, we would eliminate a major force that is driving blacks and whites apart and is destroying the fabric of black urban life." While they present dramatic data on race differences in SAT scores (for "scores of 750 and up, the white to black ratio was 212 to 1.") they state, "we do not find IQ...a useful concept."

Nevertheless, the Thernstroms provide ample data to destroy many left-wing beliefs. Speaking of the urban riots of the 1960's they note that these "racial disorders were most likely to occur when the condition of life for blacks was least oppressive, according to objective measures, not most oppressive." One valuable aspect of the book is its clarification that most gains by blacks in education and economics occurred prior to the civil rights revolution, not after it. Thus this massive change in the structure of society has had much less impact on the well-being of the individual black person than is generally recognized. Nonetheless, this change has had significant impact elsewhere. A 1993 victim survey of crimes reported that of 1.7 million interracial crimes, 89% involved white victims and black perpetrators. This would have been unheard of in earlier years. After adjusting for population size, "Blacks were 50 times more likely to commit violent crimes against whites than whites against blacks."

Forum List

Back