Some People Don’t Get It

I would like to see good teachers paid more and bad teachers protected less.

I guess that makes me half liberal and half conservative.

Bad teachers are protected less than you realize. You just don't hear about it because schools are not allowed to release information about teachers getting fired or removed from the classroom without opening themselves up to be sued. The sources the media gets are always unofficial, meaning that talked to someone who know but didn't want to get fired!

Like most workplaces, there is a grapevine at mine. But I am here to tell you that I have seen teachers "disappeared" in a day and no one knows exactly what happened. There was a meeting with closed blinds; they were walked to their desk to gather their things; no one knows exactly what happened. The entire thing is locked down.

It's uncanny, but I am thinking of at least three different occasions where this has happened, in multiple schools in my district.

Plus benefits and a percentage on top of all of that for insurances and taxes. It is silly to be asking why would people be bitching about why they should have to pay more taxes for teachers or any other government employee.

These Maps Show The Average Teacher's Salary in All 50 States

That article is a bit misleading since it did not index teachers salaries vs cost of living. It mentioned California teachers "Making a killing" compared to some in the South, but without taking into consideration how much it costs to rent or buy a house, such figures are meaningless.

A teacher in San Francisco would probably have to make 4 or 5 times as much as a Teacher in, say, Biloxi to live the same lifestyle.
If anyone is not happy about what they are making they need to make different life choices or get things changed that are not going to further tax or burden other people.

You know I'm picturing our special ed teachers and special ed paraprofessionals. They all look "overburdened" these days, horribly so, and I don't know what we're going to do as a society, with special need dx going through the roof.

These people change the diapers of children in the public schools who weigh more than I do. The paras make about $10. an hour. But your big boogeyman is that oh no, they're paid by taxes.

I just can't sometimes, I just can't. I work with people who do this for ten dollars an hour day in and day out and come here and read this. It's horrid. It's shameful.
If someone accepts ten dollars an hour when they take or apply for the job its on them. Here in Iowa they make $10.50 to $16.00 an hour plus they have the benefits, medical, dental and funds paid into Iowa Public Employees' Retirement System and social security. They work for the school season and collect unemployment in the summer. Sounds like a pretty good gig to me. If they think its "shameful" they need to find something else to do.

I know someone that is a teachers aide fairly well. She got the job straight out of high school. Her beau is a construction worker so he makes a lot more but its not steady work. They spend a lot of money on frivolous crap, travel and sometimes partying and their parents babysit for them for free. For a young couple they should be the picture of health but they are not; why is that?

How many people are complicit in their own destruction through their own inaction or actions?

Forum List

Back