some people are real assholes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
Family of Iraq abuse whistleblower receives threats

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Relatives of the U.S. soldier who sounded the alarm about abuse of Iraqi detainees at Abu Ghraib prison said on Monday the family was living in protective custody because of death threats against them.

Reservist military police officer Staff Sgt. Joseph Darby alerted U.S. Army investigators about the abuse by fellow soldiers of prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad, a move his wife says has angered people in their community in western Maryland.

"People were mean, saying he was a walking dead man, he was walking around with a bull's eye on his head. It was scary," said Bernadette Darby from Corriganville, Maryland.

Mrs. Darby said it was difficult living in protective custody, and she missed her privacy. She did not say who was providing the protection.

"There's always someone with you," she told ABC's "Good Morning America" show.

Despite the threats, Mrs. Darby she believed her husband made the right choice exposing the abuse.

If ppl are going to be pissed, be pissed at the Media for contributing to the death of innocents by labelling it a 'scandal' and otherwise aiding the Enemy's cause.

:(

Hopefully they won't have to live like this too long. I agree it's not right and if the dumb ass media hadn't made such a tremendous deal of it,he probably wouldn't have to be living like this. This story is not strong anymore with the elections,the hurricane,and the Olympics so maybe they will have some peace at least for a while.

Lol Western Maryland! This idiot should've though twice before he ratted everybody out thats some serious right wing country over there!

I'm not sure what to think of this. some people want to blame the media for this family receiving threats, some others want to blame the whistleblower. :wtf:

How about blaming the F'ing idiots that perpetrated the criminal acts, that should have been stopped before it even started. The idiots that committed the atrocious behavior and those that tried to cover it up are the worst example of what American behavior and freedom is all about!

I would gladly welcome the SSgt and his family to my home, and I will help in any way possible to assist with job placement and training if he requests it! He is an example of what American responsibility is meant to be.

PaleRider, You mean to tell me that if you witness dispicable acts being committed you would not do your best to protect those being humilated or abused? It's akin to getting beat up in the hallways at school....it happens all the time, but that doesn't make it right, or even acceptable.

To say that there was "NO" cover-up is putting one's head in the sand. Sure, the cover up might not have gone very high up the chain of command, but you cannot tell me that there was NO cover up whatsoever. Even if only one or two troops tried to "cover it up" that is a "cover up".

OK...I may have misspoke....there was no cover up, and the military ivestigation started long before the press caught wind of it.....

Do you think the hatred of the SSgt is well founded?

Fmr jarhead said:
Do you think the hatred of the SSgt is well founded?

of COURSE Not. This guy chose the 'hard right' (telling) over the 'easy wrong' (keeping silent).

My issues are with the mass media who turned it from a case of 'bad judement' into "Hey arabs! here's a good reason to kill us!"

-=d=- said:
of COURSE Not. This guy chose the 'hard right' (telling) over the 'easy wrong' (keeping silent).

My issues are with the mass media who turned it from a case of 'bad judement' into "Hey arabs! here's a good reason to kill us!"

:bow3: :bow3:

Fmr jarhead said:
PaleRider, You mean to tell me that if you witness dispicable acts being committed you would not do your best to protect those being humilated or abused? It's akin to getting beat up in the hallways at school....it happens all the time, but that doesn't make it right, or even acceptable.

I spent eight years in the Air Force jar, and I'm a 60% service connected disabled veteran.

With that in mind, you wonder would I have ratted out my fellow servicemen? Well, I might have tried to point out that what we were doing wasn't right, and MAY get us in trouble. But rat them out? Not just no, but HELL NO!!

Pale Rider said:
I spent eight years in the Air Force jar, and I'm a 60% service connected disabled veteran.

With that in mind, you wonder would I have ratted out my fellow servicemen? Well, I might have tried to point out that what we were doing wasn't right, and MAY get us in trouble. But rat them out? Not just no, but HELL NO!!

As a member of the military, one's first responsibility is to country, second to one's service and third to one's compatriots.

The actions of those who abused prisoners was detrimental to our nation and to the US Army. Their actions needed to be reported. Failure to do so amounts to nothing less than tacit approval of as well as participation by proxy in the actions of those who engaged in this illegal behavior.

Those who reported the abuse did not "rat out" their fellows as you indicate. They brought an issue to the attention of their chain of command. An issue which was serious and needed corrective action. Had these prisoners been unruly or had they attacked the guards, I would not bat so much as a single eyelash if the prisoners had been severely beaten or killed. But there is no excuse for the abuse perpetrated by these few irresponsible and totally unprofessional individuals.

Many professional groups have codes of silence. Doctors, lawyers, and police all tend to band together when one of their own is under attack. That is the reason why police forces become corrupt such as the New Orleans PD. That is why it is hard to obtain justice when doctors or lawyers engage in incompetent or criminal behavior. We cannot afford for our military to cloak itself in a shroud of secrecy. Their conduct must be professional and their command structure must be transparent. To do otherwise would elevate the military to the status of the highest power in the country. Eventually, it would reduce our nation to the status of a banana republic ruled by a military junta.

SSG Darby deserves commendation for having the intestinal fortitude to do what was no doubt a most unpleasant thing - reporting his own comrades. He does not deserve the villification of ignorant idiots in Maryland.

You're free to feel as you want Merlin, as I am, and I would NOT have been the one to "RAT OUT" my fellow soilders.

When I compare who these prisoners were/are, yellow bellied, face hiding, woman and children killing, sniping, car bombing, back shooting, innocent hostage decapitating, egg sucking cowards. I have no more compassion for them than I do a toilet. These pieces of shit are out there killing my brothers in arms, skulking around like rats. They're barbaric filth with absolutely no respect for life. I'd just as soon shoot the bastards as look at them.

So a couple of them had to wear their underwear on their head and pile on their brother naked. Well boo fucking hoo. That's a fucking tea party compared to getting your HEAD SAWED OFF! And you want me to be the one to help these animals?

Not on your life.

Pale Rider said:
You're free to feel as you want Merlin, as I am, and I would NOT have been the one to "RAT OUT" my fellow soilders.

When I compare who these prisoners were/are, yellow bellied, face hiding, woman and children killing, sniping, car bombing, back shooting, innocent hostage decapitating, egg sucking cowards. I have no more compassion for them than I do a toilet. These pieces of shit are out there killing my brothers in arms, skulking around like rats. They're barbaric filth with absolutely no respect for life. I'd just as soon shoot the bastards as look at them.

So a couple of them had to wear their underwear on their head and pile on their brother naked. Well boo fucking hoo. That's a fucking tea party compared to getting your HEAD SAWED OFF! And you want me to be the one to help these animals?

Not on your life.

the problem is that not one of the 'detainees' had been put on trial or convicted. They were roundups in hostile areas. The soldiers had no way of identifying who were terrorists, criminals, or innocent bystanders in the wrong place at the wrong time.

DKSuddeth said:
the problem is that not one of the 'detainees' had been put on trial or convicted. They were roundups in hostile areas. The soldiers had no way of identifying who were terrorists, criminals, or innocent bystanders in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I agree and that is my problem with the entire thing. Perhaps they were really bad guys, but we don't have all the info, so we don't know. Therefore, the troops should have (at least) not acted like it was a "game". They have noboby to blame but themselves as far as I am concerned.

DKSuddeth said:

I'm sure they weren't people just "rouded up" erroneously. These people were in a place where combat had occured. Where bullets and mortars had been fired from. I'm sure that the vast majority of them were guilty as sin.

I still don't think the whole thing was that big of a deal. The "liberal media", namely "THE NEW YORK TIMES", was totally to blame for blowing it out of proportion.

Pale Rider said:
I'm sure they weren't people just "rouded up" erroneously. These people were in a place where combat had occured. Where bullets and mortars had been fired from. I'm sure that the vast majority of them were guilty as sin.

I still don't think the whole thing was that big of a deal. The "liberal media", namely "THE NEW YORK TIMES", was totally to blame for blowing it out of proportion.

guilty by association or proximity, right? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back