some people are real assholes

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by DKSuddeth, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Family of Iraq abuse whistleblower receives threats

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Relatives of the U.S. soldier who sounded the alarm about abuse of Iraqi detainees at Abu Ghraib prison said on Monday the family was living in protective custody because of death threats against them.

Reservist military police officer Staff Sgt. Joseph Darby alerted U.S. Army investigators about the abuse by fellow soldiers of prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad, a move his wife says has angered people in their community in western Maryland.

"People were mean, saying he was a walking dead man, he was walking around with a bull's eye on his head. It was scary," said Bernadette Darby from Corriganville, Maryland.

Mrs. Darby said it was difficult living in protective custody, and she missed her privacy. She did not say who was providing the protection.

"There's always someone with you," she told ABC's "Good Morning America" show.

Despite the threats, Mrs. Darby she believed her husband made the right choice exposing the abuse.

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    If ppl are going to be pissed, be pissed at the Media for contributing to the death of innocents by labelling it a 'scandal' and otherwise aiding the Enemy's cause.

:(

3. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    That's horrible.

4. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hopefully they won't have to live like this too long. I agree it's not right and if the dumb ass media hadn't made such a tremendous deal of it,he probably wouldn't have to be living like this. This story is not strong anymore with the elections,the hurricane,and the Olympics so maybe they will have some peace at least for a while.

5. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,068
    Possible retribution is always something to think about before you rat someone out.

6. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Lol Western Maryland! This idiot should've though twice before he ratted everybody out thats some serious right wing country over there!

7. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I'm not sure what to think of this. some people want to blame the media for this family receiving threats, some others want to blame the whistleblower. :wtf:

8. Fmr jarhead

Fmr jarhead Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +103
    How about blaming the F'ing idiots that perpetrated the criminal acts, that should have been stopped before it even started. The idiots that committed the atrocious behavior and those that tried to cover it up are the worst example of what American behavior and freedom is all about!

I would gladly welcome the SSgt and his family to my home, and I will help in any way possible to assist with job placement and training if he requests it! He is an example of what American responsibility is meant to be.

PaleRider, You mean to tell me that if you witness dispicable acts being committed you would not do your best to protect those being humilated or abused? It's akin to getting beat up in the hallways at school....it happens all the time, but that doesn't make it right, or even acceptable.

9. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    For the last time, please...

THERE WAS NO COVER UP.

:)

10. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    To say that there was "NO" cover-up is putting one's head in the sand. Sure, the cover up might not have gone very high up the chain of command, but you cannot tell me that there was NO cover up whatsoever. Even if only one or two troops tried to "cover it up" that is a "cover up".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.