Some 'out there' questions

Gurdari

Egaliterra
Feb 2, 2007
the West
Does time stop at absolute zero?
(I say Yes - it has to)

Were one in a vacuum, being pulled by gravity - of you had enough room to be 'acted upon' by gravity and fall far enough...you would surpass the speed of light (gravity has no speed, so therefor is not bound by light speed's limitations?)

(I say Yes - it has to)

Were one in a vacuum, being pulled by gravity - of you had enough room to be 'acted upon' by gravity and fall far enough...you would surpass the speed of light (gravity has no speed, so therefor is not bound by light speed's limitations?)

I don’t understand your question or what your comments have to do with it. What does gravity and light have to do with time? I guess that we approach it from different perspectives. I think that time is an abstract mental construct that has no beginning and no end. It is like the notion of god and eternity. Physical things have no bearing on it.

It is like asking if a line has an absolute zero. A line is described as an ideal zero-width, infinitely long, perfectly straight curve (the term curve in mathematics includes "straight curves") containing an infinite number of points.

I don’t understand your question or what your comments have to do with it. What does gravity and light have to do with time? I guess that we approach it from different perspectives. I think that time is an abstract mental construct that has no beginning and no end. It is like the notion of god and eternity. Physical things have no bearing on it.

It is like asking if a line has an absolute zero. A line is described as an ideal zero-width, infinitely long, perfectly straight curve (the term curve in mathematics includes "straight curves") containing an infinite number of points.
He is referring to absolute zero as a temperature, not an abstract number. The answer is that in a Universe composed entirely of one object at absolute zero temperature there would be no relativistic time, since relativistic time is defined as the interval between two events. At absolute zero, there are no events, not even nuclear events, such as the oscillations of an atom in a Cesium atomic clock. Is there absolute time that exists outside the Universe? That is not a scientific question; it is a religious question and has no quantifiable answer. In the real Universe there is no such thing as absolute zero. Even intergalatic space is at about 3 degrees Kelvin.

Gravity and light are inextricably linked to time. For example, as a mass approaches the speed of light, time slows down. This has been empirically demonstrated by noting the difference in Cesium atomic clocks: one on Earth, and another orbiting Earth at thousands of miles per hour. The clock in orbit runs slower relative to the clock on Earth.

Does an object accelerating in a vacuum ultimately exceed the speed of light? No. The speed of light is a fundamental constant of the Universe and according to General Relativity cannot be exceeded, since as an object approaches the speed of light its mass increases to a limit of infinity, and time slows to a limit of zero. It is physically impossible for an object to exceed the speed of light, if the theory of General Relativity is correct. As mentioned above, GR has been empirically confirmed.

The speed of light is a fundamental constant of the Universe and according to General Relativity cannot be exceeded...

Are you trying to tell me that the "warp-factor 5" talk from Star Trek is all just a bunch of baloney? Please, say it ain't so!!

Are you trying to tell me that the "warp-factor 5" talk from Star Trek is all just a bunch of baloney? Please, say it ain't so!!
You ought to Warp 9 over to the public library because 1400cc divided by 2 or 3 unused brain cells equals a lot of empty space.

(I say Yes - it has to)
I don't know.

This is incorrect.

General Relativity predicts that gravity is propogated
at the speed of light. This has been consensus ever
since the theory was published, and has recently been
corroborated by experiment:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn3232-first-speed-of-gravity-measurement-revealed.html

Forum List

Back