Some Oregon schools adopting Mexican curriculum

oh.. and given the one way nature of western influence over foreign nations and the assimilation into THEIR cultures your analogy falls way short.

Dont see too many hamburgers being sold at the Indian mcdonalds, eh? same cultural significance of preserving a common national identity.

They're not sold at Indian McDonald's because Indians wouldn't go there... purely an economic decision :)

Perhaps you might understand, since you seem so sensitive to the issue, why other countries might not like us foisting our culture on THEM. When the French talk about that, everyone complains that the French hate America and are arrogant.

I've lways said that a certain amount of American laziness makes us want to insist that english remain the international language of business. I've always said that we should take initiative to learn other languages in order to communicate better with our global neighbors. Hell, we all know that language is not static and will probably gel into some post-modern dialect in 50 years.

My point is this:

English speaking American's pay the taxes that suport the public school. Sure, spanish speakers pay taxes too but no where near the participation as the majority which, currently, is an English speaking population. I am suggesting that their concern that our common American identity is being forced to assimilate rather than being assimilated into, BY A PUBLIC SCHOOL, is not only valid but has the potential to fragment the common identity of America and will eventually lead to what all significant competing social identities lead to: conflict. Why learn english when one can rationalize forcing American kids to learn spanish? It's totally ass backwards. Taxes shouldnt be used to force America to assimilate to latino culture any more than it should be used to force america to assimilate to christian dogma. Let private ventures for spanish speaking kids carry this burden if they feel so strongly about it. It's the same advice I give to people who think Int. Des. should be taught as an alternative to evolution. Sure, this salad bowl culture may have a wide range on the Average American experience but, here in the midwest, you won't be finding second graders learning how to spell in mandarine chinese.

All illegals and those who harbor them are criminals. This is the law. Press 1 for English? What in the hell is that? Press 1 for Spanish ...maybe but this is my country. I should have to press 1 for English? Other immigrant groups brought their culture here and they learned English. And we thrived. The Mexicans on the whole are different. They seek to remain Mexican while they drain our country. There was no instant welfare for my people when they came over. They worked and when they got sick they still worked. They did not form enclaves where you see more Mexican flags than American. The Mexican President recently said that Mexico has no borders. He said where there are Mexicans, that is Mexico. Well guess what. The USA is now Mexico.

Spare me the Xenophobic analogies. This is about being American First. Something the other immigrant groups of the past would proudly admit to. Not the Mexicans. They are Balkinizing our country and if you can't see that you must be an ostriich. Get your heads out of the sand.:mad:

All illegals and those who harbor them are criminals. This is the law. Press 1 for English? What in the hell is that? Press 1 for Spanish ...maybe but this is my country. I should have to press 1 for English? Other immigrant groups brought their culture here and they learned English. And we thrived. The Mexicans on the whole are different. They seek to remain Mexican while they drain our country. There was no instant welfare for my people when they came over. They worked and when they got sick they still worked. They did not form enclaves where you see more Mexican flags than American. The Mexican President recently said that Mexico has no borders. He said where there are Mexicans, that is Mexico. Well guess what. The USA is now Mexico.

Spare me the Xenophobic analogies. This is about being American First. Something the other immigrant groups of the past would proudly admit to. Not the Mexicans. They are Balkinizing our country and if you can't see that you must be an ostriich. Get your heads out of the sand.:mad:

Bzzzzzzzzzzzt... the largest group on welfare in this country is single white mothers. Try again.

They're not sold at Indian McDonald's because Indians wouldn't go there... purely an economic decision :)

Perhaps you might understand, since you seem so sensitive to the issue, why other countries might not like us foisting our culture on THEM. When the French talk about that, everyone complains that the French hate America and are arrogant.

PURELY economic? come on, Jillian. You don't think there was a single ounce of cultural consideration at play?

Without having to start quoting pulp fiction can you explain why the euro's don't order a quarter pounder then?

ok... maybe just a little Pulp Fiction

Jules: What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Brett: What?
Jules: What country you from?
Jules: What ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?
Brett: Yes!
Jules: Then you know what I'm saying!
Brett: Yes!
Jules: Describe what Marcellus Wallace looks like!
Brett: What, I-?
Jules: [pointing his gun] Say what again. SAY WHAT AGAIN. I dare you, I double dare you, motherfucker. Say what one more goddamn time.
Brett: He's b-b-black...
Jules: Go on.
Brett: He's bald...
Jules: Does he look like a bitch?
[Jules shoots Brett in shoulder]
Jules: DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?
Brett: No!
Jules: Then why you try to fuck him like a bitch, Brett?
Brett: I didn't.
Jules: Yes you did. Yes you did, Brett. You tried to fuck him. And Marcellus Wallace don't like to be fucked by anybody, except Mrs. Wallace.

Where's The Beef?
Meatless McDonalds Burgers In India

April 2, 2007

(CBS) It's got the same old golden arches, the same efficient counter help slinging cheap eats, just the way they do everywhere from Poughkeepsie to Port Arthur. But in India, there's something missing at the world's fast food giant: hamburgers. That's right - McDonald's signature snack and its most recognizable symbol is nowhere to be found in one of the biggest countries on earth.

According to Amit Jatia, a JV partner of McDonalds India, "It is the only country in the world for sure that does not offer beef at all. Maybe other countries may do pork burgers, but in India, we definitely have no pork or beef at all." That's not to say Indian restaurants don't sell patties on buns. But instead of ground round, Indian burgers are 100 percent vegetarian - burger look-a-likes of potatoes, peas, and carrots, with a little Indian spice thrown in.

India is the world's vegetarian paradise. Nearly all of the one billion people living here eat meat only occasionally, or not at all. Beef never shows up on the menu. India is home to the Hindu religion, which preaches non-violence. Believers fear the karmic consequences of harming other creatures.

That's why cows are... well... sacred cows, pampered and allowed to wander at will through streets across the Indian subcontinent. They're never served up for dinner. Sheela Krishnaswamy, a nutritionist says "So that belief has been rooted so deep in the Indian mindset that most of us have continued to be vegetarians, and even those of us who have turned to non-veg foods don't eat it as often as people in other countries do."

Mention "fast food" to an Indian, and he's likely to think of this -- open-air restaurants that serve up giant pancakes with spicy fillings for a few cents. Even the big cheese at McDonalds India is a vegetarian. Jatia tells his co-workers, "What moms tell us is that typically it's very hard to get their kids to eat vegetables, rice on its own. But when it's put together in a patty, and then you get it in a burger format, then kids absolutely love it."

But what would most Indian kids know as a hamburger, isn't really a hamburger. Still, it doesn't make it healthy for you. Even veggie burgers get bad raps. "The patty is deep fried, there's loads of cheese and mayonnaise, the bun used is made with refined flour," says Krishnaswamy. "The only healthy part is the lettuce leaf and the tomato and the cucumber and what little salad is used."

So, could eggplant milkshakes and McTurnips be next?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/04/02/asia_letter/main2640540.shtml

I offer this to you, Ms. Jillian, as evidence for India retaining their CULTURAL IDENTITY despite a western presence in their nation.

Here in Sweden they REQUIRE ALL students to learn english and then CHOOSE a third language to learn as well. It hasnt fractured the culture nor has it harmed the SWEDISH language at all. Swedes still speak swedish and their language is in no danger of being diminished because they REQUIRE a second *and third* language be learned.

I think its a very unfounded fear to believe that requiring the learning of the spanish language threatens our culture or english speaking in any way.

Here in Sweden they REQUIRE ALL students to learn english and then CHOOSE a third language to learn as well. It hasnt fractured the culture nor has it harmed the SWEDISH language at all. Swedes still speak swedish and their language is in no danger of being diminished because they REQUIRE a second *and third* language be learned.

I think its a very unfounded fear to believe that requiring the learning of the spanish language threatens our culture or english speaking in any way.

Your ignoring the fact we are NOT requiring English be learned at all. Schools are teaching students completely in Spanish.

Im pretty sure sweden is not the hallmark that America wants to use in guaging THEIR culture. I know I dont.

Your ignoring the fact we are NOT requiring English be learned at all. Schools are teaching students completely in Spanish.

Of course I dont agree thats a good idea *not learning english*. I just think it would be best if we could require spanish and that would actually make it easier to bring spanish speakers into the main stream and get them learning english MUCH easier.

Im pretty sure sweden is not the hallmark that America wants to use in guaging THEIR culture.

I am not saying it is, I am simply pointing out that just because a nation requires another language be learned dosent MEAN the main language is erroded or that the culture is fractured as you seem to fear would happen from such a thing.

I've lways said that a certain amount of American laziness makes us want to insist that english remain the international language of business. I've always said that we should take initiative to learn other languages in order to communicate better with our global neighbors. Hell, we all know that language is not static and will probably gel into some post-modern dialect in 50 years.

My point is this:

English speaking American's pay the taxes that suport the public school. Sure, spanish speakers pay taxes too but no where near the participation as the majority which, currently, is an English speaking population. I am suggesting that their concern that our common American identity is being forced to assimilate rather than being assimilated into, BY A PUBLIC SCHOOL, is not only valid but has the potential to fragment the common identity of America and will eventually lead to what all significant competing social identities lead to: conflict. Why learn english when one can rationalize forcing American kids to learn spanish? It's totally ass backwards. Taxes shouldnt be used to force America to assimilate to latino culture any more than it should be used to force america to assimilate to christian dogma. Let private ventures for spanish speaking kids carry this burden if they feel so strongly about it. It's the same advice I give to people who think Int. Des. should be taught as an alternative to evolution. Sure, this salad bowl culture may have a wide range on the Average American experience but, here in the midwest, you won't be finding second graders learning how to spell in mandarine chinese.

I don't think we really disagree. I think we're articulating it differently. I DO think it is American laziness that wants us to preserve English as the language of business. I don't think that's good for us in a global economy. European children learn English in public school. It's why they can do business with us and compete with us. I think THAT'S my point. And I, too, come from people who had to learn English when they got here.

And, you know what? I HATED, I mean absolutely HATED the fact that children with whom my son attends elementary school were allowed to test for the gifted and talented program in "native language". (In our case, that meant that the first language of a good chunk of his schoolmates was Russian). But, they're all in fifth grade now. And they've all been through the G&T program together since kindergarten. All of them speak English now all of them are doing beautifully in school. So, ultimately, it didn't matter much.

I am not saying it is, I am simply pointing out that just because a nation requires another language be learned dosent MEAN the main language is erroded or that the culture is fractured as you seem to fear would happen from such a thing.

and I would reply that just because it worked in sweden doesn't mean it will work in a nation with a significantly larger role to play in global politics. Your country chose to hop on the bandwagon when it figured out that business was being conducted in English. However, there is no reason to force spanish to be taught on par with English since spanish is not the international language. I assure you, if the international language of business were latin then we'd all be teaching latin as a second langauge and no one would bitch about it. As it is, you don't learn english because there is a giant influx of immigrating english speaking people pervading your nation.

and I would reply that just because it worked in sweden doesn't mean it will work in a nation with a significantly larger role to play in global politics. Your country chose to hop on the bandwagon when it figured out that business was being conducted in English. However, there is no reason to force spanish to be taught on par with English since spanish is not the international language. I assure you, if the international language of business were latin then we'd all be teaching latin as a second langauge and no one would bitch about it. As it is, you don't learn english because there is a giant influx of immigrating english speaking people pervading your nation.

Its a true statement that just because somthing works in one place dosent mean it will work in another....but its MANY nations who require second languages be learned and they arent giving up their native language to do it either.

There isnt a good reason to limit our education, especially when those limitations are advocated due to fears or anger at illegal immigration. We are denying ourselves a benefit as well as an oppurtunity.

Spanish is the second most spoken language in the western hemisphere, its a good reason right there to learn it and for our education system to require it.

As you pointed out, the US plays such a more significant and larger role IN GLOBAL economics/politics, all the MORE reason to be proficient in other languages.

Its a true statement that just because somthing works in one place dosent mean it will work in another....but its MANY nations who require second languages be learned and they arent giving up their native language to do it either.

There isnt a good reason to limit our education, especially when those limitations are advocated due to fears or anger at illegal immigration. We are denying ourselves a benefit as well as an oppurtunity.

Spanish is the second most spoken language in the western hemisphere, its a good reason right there to learn it and for our education system to require it.

As you pointed out, the US plays such a more significant and larger role IN GLOBAL economics/politics, all the MORE reason to be proficient in other languages.

I am not advocating the LIMITATION of education. By all means, take spanish as an elective. I am saying that forcing AMERICAN kids to learn spanish via AMERICAN taxes is no more sound than making them learn int. design. This is still America, Ruby. Like it or not we still speak english here as a population and latinos can either assimilate this direction or pay for their own catch up opportunities. A public education is not a right. It's not a protected status. This is a benefit that WILL reflect the will of the majority population that sees this kind of thing as a slap inthe face of their, otherwise, benevolence. And rightly so. Again, if YOUR country forces it's kids to learn english it is because of business and not because of a flood of immigrants who can't speak whatever language is your native tongue.

Also, be that as it may that spanish is spoken by so many people... but, Ruby, Those people are not in AMERICA where these kids will live and learn. Certainly, tax payers should not have to bridge a gap just because of the external popularity of any identity. I hear catholicism is pretty popular too.. So why arent we teaching our kids to pray to the virgin mary in public schools?

Our global role is well served by ENGLISH.

hence your nation hopping on board the language train.

I am not advocating the LIMITATION of education. By all means, take spanish as an elective. I am saying that forcing AMERICAN kids to learn spanish via AMERICAN taxes is no more sound than making them learn int. design. This is still America, Ruby. Like it or not we still speak english here as a population and latinos can either assimilate this direction or pay for their own catch up opportunities. A public education is not a right. It's not a protected status. This is a benefit that WILL reflect the will of the majority population that sees this kind of thing as a slap inthe face of their, otherwise, benevolence. And rightly so. Again, if YOUR country forces it's kids to learn english it is because of business and not because of a flood of immigrants who can't speak whatever language is your native tongue.

Also, be that as it may that spanish is spoken by so many people... but, Ruby, Those people are not in AMERICA where these kids will live and learn. Certainly, tax payers should not have to bridge a gap just because of the external popularity of any identity. I hear catholicism is pretty popular too.. So why arent we teaching our kids to pray to the virgin mary in public schools?

Our global role is well served by ENGLISH.

hence your nation hopping on board the language train.

Your comparisons are false really. Religion isnt the same as learning another language. You seem to attach far too much POLITICAL motivation and ideology to it. It simply expands our own education as well as our own communication with the second most spoken language in OUR OWN NATION OF THE USA as well as the language of most of our neighbors.

We do plenty of business with latin american (all spanish speaking nations) and the way its going...we wont get to DOMINATE them in the area and will find ourselves vying for our place in their economies and having to actually negotiate with them etc. It seems to me that what we require in our education system are the things we feel are important to learn and beneficial...I think spanish meet those criteria rather well.

Your comparisons are false really. Religion isnt the same as learning another language. You seem to attach far too much POLITICAL motivation and ideology to it. It simply expands our own education as well as our own communication with the second most spoken language in OUR OWN NATION OF THE USA as well as the language of most of our neighbors.

We do plenty of business with latin american (all spanish speaking nations) and the way its going...we wont get to DOMINATE them in the area and will find ourselves vying for our place in their economies and having to actually negotiate with them etc. It seems to me that what we require in our education system are the things we feel are important to learn and beneficial...I think spanish meet those criteria rather well.

in the eyes of the people paying the tab, it is. Like it or not AMERICA is not embracing ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION and the language barriers associated with it. That's the reality. If you come to AMERICA then you should be prepared to know enough ENGLISH to function. Fragmenting the culture by forcing AMERICANS to learn spanish is not a solution that AMERICANS will tolorate nor is it limiting the options for those who want to take spanish as an elective. IT IS NOT, NOW SHOULD IT BE, a requirement to interact in spanish in AMERICA. that's what we in AMERICA like to call the bottom line. Notice that it's JAPAN that teaches it's kids ENGRISH and not the other way around. Does JAPAN force it's kids to learn spanish? Of course not. Becaise spanish is not the Int. Lang of Bus. Despite how many people speak it in the world.

Indeed, I wish your nation and it's commercial ventures all the success in latin america as you deserve. It still has nothing to do with foricng AMERICAN TAX PAYERS to pay for FORCING AMERICANS to learn spanish instead of forcing IMMIGRANTS to assimilate inot our culture. If you can't catch the drift on this then Ill chock it up to my giant American ego and sense of common identity with my fellow tax paying countrymen.

The lie:

Sorry RSG, this may be what the dittohead nation wants you to believe; but, I'm not going to let you get away with that lie.

As the article states, they are using this as an interim measure to keep students who come to school with Spanish as their first language up-to-speed in other subjects while these students learn English.

From the article:
"Oregon officials say the approach is intended as a supplement to keep students learning in Spanish while also gaining English skills."

Hell, not only is it helping in these other subjects... this same instruction is IMPROVING these students' use of English:

Once again, from the article:
"Students learned punctuation and sentence structure in Spanish and then saw improvement in English progress, said Dale Bernardini, a teacher who handles the partnership for Reynolds School District."

oh.. so you'd quicker learn ENGLISH if living in a spanish speaking community that didnt think it so important to speak it so that you would have a grasp of it?

I tellya, nothing says LEARNING like not actually having stimuli making it necessary to learn it.

Indeed, Im sure all that Mexican material is reflective of America instead of Mexico too! Juans doneky walked to the cinco de mayo fiesta probably reflects a good ole Wyoming setting.

Forum List

Back