some of what im working on

real window glass also. when you look through them objects shift a little. these are 6 foot pains

were thinking its original. it as built into the frame. trying our hardest NOT to break it!

we are figuring its about 100 yrs old. i havent gottne off my lazy ass to get to the library to see the actual date.
it used to have this huge wrap around porch in the front and a carriage house in the back where the servants slept.

The stained glass looks to be more in the style of the Craftsman era - and the other decore seems to be a generation or so earlier. But I am not an expert by any means.

my mom has a stained glass chandelier (sp?) that was built beofre i was born. shes taken that thing to every place weve ever lived.

both the bathrooms are updated.
jsut came back from the county assesors office and they said that they didnt have a construction date on it, so it means late 1890's. so up to 114 years old.
i can vouche for that. not a straight line in the entire place...lol
kind hard to make it look straight when its crooked in the first place... :eek:
but room wise it was a 13 room house plus carriage/ servants quarters. now its 12 rooms and a garage. note that i said rooms not bedrooms. there were 7 bedrooms. but i took the liberty of combining two of the bedrooms to make me a larger one...lol
just one more on the second story to redo. and im debating whether or not to redo all of it or skim coat the walls to cover blemishes or not. it would be simplier.

if you wanna move to the good old midwest, im sure we could work a deal out...lol
but as for the accents, thsoe were the days of real platerers! you dont find that anymore outside of automation and manufacturing. its a dead art

they dont build them like that anymore. back when a 2x4 was a real 2x4 and they used square nails! i get a kick out of that when i have to pull one out...lol
the only thing i have against the mid west is the coldness. not alot of snow, jsut cold as hell. yesterday it got to like 8 or so. it sucked. the day before it was around 45...lol

johnney, I home i had in Red Oak was built in 1892....somebody somewhere has to have the original abstract, that will have the buuild date and a list of everyone who has ever owed your home. mine was only 3 pages!! and the walls in that house were 6 inches deep and as always not a square wall anywhere!! given a choice I take the old home anyday over new crap...

ive found some instances of construction back in 1870's, somewhere to the tune of 5000.00 total. i was thinking that that may be what im lookin at. that a a HUGE amount of money back in the day.

Originally posted by jon_forward
house must be upon da hill...:cool:
actually within the last 10 years or so the neighborhood has gone down hill! used to be real nice here, but Hyvee came in and tore down the slum, i swear to god them fuckers all moved to the end of my block.

Forum List

Back