Some of My Favorite Bible Verses - Paraphrased

Bullshit. Just because you were able to do it doesn't mean EVERYBODY ELSE can do it.

I know plenty of people who did.

So what. That's doesn't mean everyone can do it. You don't get it. Most of the wealth in our country is in the mitts of the filthy rich.

So what? Anyone can be filthy rich, if they're motivated to succeed, and make the decisions that reflect that motivation.

Finish school. Wait to have sex. Wait to get married. Make sacrifices...

So what. That's doesn't mean everyone can do it. You don't get it. Most of the wealth in our country is in the mitts of the filthy rich.

So what? Anyone can be filthy rich, if they're motivated to succeed, and make the decisions that reflect that motivation.

Finish school. Wait to have sex. Wait to get married. Make sacrifices...

Well just be smart when you have sex.:lol:

I live in a poor, rural community. Unemployment is nearly 20%. Without food stamps, a lot of people go hungry.

45% of our kids live in single family households and 35% of them live in poverty.

It's not about a lack of motivation.

Sure there are poor people with mental illness, substance abuse, and legal problems, but the truth is you can't raise a family on a minimum wage job.

Nor can you do it on welfare.

Try adopting some poor families and get back to me.

Last edited:
My family was dirt poor farmers hell yes if you put your mind too it you can do anything without the governments help.

Bullshit. Just because you were able to do it doesn't mean EVERYBODY ELSE can do it.

So do I, my husband's entire family for one.

A father who contracted polio in WWII and came home in a wheelchair, a mom with an 8th grade education, and they worked hard and never took a dime in government support. Of course that was back when people had pride. They were what you would consider 'poor', but they taught their children the value of hard work and perseverance. They had 6 children, and three of them went onto college, worked through college, graduated and are working in professional careers moving their family in one generation out of the poor category. You have to want it.

So what. That's doesn't mean everyone can do it. You don't get it. Most of the wealth in our country is in the mitts of the filthy rich. People get rich off the backs of the poor. Nothing has changed in that regard.

My family had pride in themselves not to accept anything from the government they taught me well. Maybe that's the problem with most people who are as poor as I was growing up they look too the government for help instead of doing it themselves

Last edited:

So, do I, my husband's entire family for one.

A father who contracted polio in WWII and came home in a wheelchair, a mom with an 8th grade education, and they worked hard and never took a dime in government support. Of course that was back when people had pride. They were what you would consider 'poor', but they taught their children the value of hard work and perseverance. They had 6 children, and three of them went onto college, worked through college, graduated and are working in professional careers moving their family in one generation out of the poor category. You have to want it.

Shit my family was share croppers didn't even own the dirt they lived on.

So, do I, my husband's entire family for one.

You say people are poor because they aren't motivated to better themselves. You are WRONG about that.

The people who aren't motivated have substance abuse, domestic violence or mental illness going on.

They aren't just lazy.

You don't know what you're talking about.

I know the poor in my community.

So what. That's doesn't mean everyone can do it. You don't get it. Most of the wealth in our country is in the mitts of the filthy rich. People get rich off the backs of the poor. Nothing has changed in that regard.

My family had pride in themselves not to except anything from the government they taught me well. Maybe that's the problem with most people who are as poor as I was growing up they look too the government for help instead of doing it themselves

They taught you work ethic. Most of the poor are working poor. Most of the poor want to better themselves.

The so-called unmotivated poor are people with mental illness, domestic violence families, and substance abuse.

Your myth of the lazy poor, the undeserving poor is not real. But some nice rich media folks have got you to hate other poor people.

I feel sorry for you. You call yourself a Christian and you hate poor people.

Our entitlement culture encourages them to be that way. I see people every day who spend their entire lives trying to figure out ways to get more from the government. From cradle to grave. Trying to figure out how to get more foodstamps, how to avoird work, how to get disability for themselves and others, how to get tanf...

When if they spent 1/10 of that energy just WORKING AT A JOB, or volunteering somewhere and working on bettering themselves, they'd be so much better off.

But they don't think that way because nobody will tell them that what they're doing is wrong.

Go back to Elizbethan Poor Laws. That's the conservative way. Go back in time.

1552 — Parish registers of the poor were introduced so that there was an official record of those who fell into the category of 'poor'

1563 — Justices of the Peace were authorised and empowered to raise compulsory funds for the relief of the poor and, for the first time, the poor were put into different categories

those who would work but could not: these were the able-bodied or deserving poor. They were to be given help either through outdoor relief or by being given work in return for a wage.

those who could work but would not: these were the idle poor. They were to be whipped through the streets, publicly, until they learned the error of their ways.

those who were too old/ill/young to work: these were the impotent or deserving poor. They were to be looked after in almshouses, hospitals, orphanages or poor houses.
The 1601 Elizabethan Poor Law

Come on Christians!

(Matthew 25 vv. 32-46)

feed the hungry
give drink to the thirsty
welcome the stranger
clothe the naked
visit the sick
visit the prisoner
bury the dead

1552 — Parish registers of the poor were introduced so that there was an official record of those who fell into the category of 'poor'

1563 — Justices of the Peace were authorised and empowered to raise compulsory funds for the relief of the poor and, for the first time, the poor were put into different categories

those who would work but could not: these were the able-bodied or deserving poor. They were to be given help either through outdoor relief or by being given work in return for a wage.

those who could work but would not: these were the idle poor. They were to be whipped through the streets, publicly, until they learned the error of their ways.

those who were too old/ill/young to work: these were the impotent or deserving poor. They were to be looked after in almshouses, hospitals, orphanages or poor houses.

WOW digging deep there aren't you? America wasn't a nation in 1563 was it?

WOW digging deep there aren't you? America wasn't a nation in 1563 was it?

Examine your attitude. It is that many centuries old. You want to whip people who are "unmotivated", that would be battered wives, mentally ill, addicts and alcoholics.

Everyone else who's poor wants to better themselves, just like you did. You think you're so superior to everyone else who's poor? You're not. I salute your family for teaching you work ethic. Too bad you can't recognize it in others.

So, they're not the lazy asses you conservative jerks think they are. Most poor people work.

Last edited:
The Lord tells us to provide for the poor. Not to outsource our responsibility to the poor to others.

Oh and there is a time for "levity" and a time to be serious. I'd rather not profane the scriptures.

Okay so the outsource thing. That's a legitimate view and I often wonder about it. I donate money out of every fee our firm collects but I often wonder if it's enough.
Do you believe all those people who are genuinely in need would be provided for, without the help of government?
Maybe they would. The question is "If people saved a lot of money in taxes because we didn't have programs to help say, the blind for example, would they take that extra money and donate it to helping the blind?"

It's tough and I don't claim to have the "right" answer here because I don't know if there is one. I've lived in countries where there are little in the way of social programs and a lot in the way of rich people. It was always very sad to see what happened to those in need. Would our country do better? I don't know but I don't think so. There seems to be a growing resentment toward the poor in our country. As if they are all drug addicts etc...
I think our country would become much like India, Mexico etc... The poor, the blind, the disabled, lying all over the streets of our cities (except in the wealthy areas where they know better than to exist). We're getting closer to that lately anyway.

Well, what do you know, we actually agree on something. :eek: If you're meaning is that paying taxes has nothing to do with giving of yourself to help other people, i.e. it counts as far as what Jesus taught. I don't think it does.

I think the resentment that you sense is because of the fact that there are many, many different ways for someone who is 'poor' to help themselves better their lives via the myriad of government programs available for higher education or training. So, in my opinion, unless you're mentally or physically disabled in some way, there's really no excuse for being 'poor' in this country. Instead I think a lot of people take advantage of the support that is offered and do nothing to improve their situation, and when people are giving up 50% of their income to enable that behavior, they're going to start to resent it.

Sky fails reading comprehension 101 once again... :uhoh3:

So, they're not the lazy asses you conservative jerks think they are. Most poor people work.

Not true you can work and still be lazy. How does that work you ask? Doing just enough to get by. To actually get out of being poor you have to work a little extra hard and be financial responsible with what you already have.. Not just do enough to pay the bills and put food on the table.

Not true you can work and still be lazy. How does that work you ask? Doing just enough to get by. To actually get out of being poor you have to work a little extra hard and be financial responsible with what you already have.. Not just do enough to pay the bills and put food on the table.

What you call lazy, I call mentally ill. I call substance abusing. I call domestic violence.

Examine who you're talking about.

The myth of the lazy poor person is just that. A myth. You will find one of the above, mental illness, substance abuse or domestic violence in every one of your so-called lazy poor families.

Forum List

Back