Some of My Favorite Bible Verses - Paraphrased

Oh and there is a time for "levity" and a time to be serious. I'd rather not profane the scriptures.

The verse you post is interesting. Right now Conservatives are screaming their heads off about cutting entitlement programs such as welfare, WIC, the blind etc...
Jesus said that and LOTS of verses that seem to be in conflict with this.

Your thoughts?

The Lord tells us to provide for the poor. Not to outsource our responsibility to the poor to others.

Not to mention that he is lying about Republicans cutting entitlement programs, they are trying to save them so they will be there when people need them.

Sooo..do you think that's an improvement on the original text?

Soooooo... can you ever just add to a discussion instead of well.... nm.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God

Gotta love John. No nativity or virgin birth or ancestry or even parables! His target audience was like the "New Thought" churches of today. Very cerebral and spiritual.

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD

I'm not as big a fan of the OT but I love proverbs and there is stuff in a lot from the minor prophets that speaks strongly to me.
A lot of it boils down to:

Is what you're about to do, a good thing or a bad thing? Are you choosing a path that you know is bad for you and others? WHY???

Sort of the OT version of WWJD.

Here's a clue
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God
Is not Old Testament.

The verse you post is interesting. Right now Conservatives are screaming their heads off about cutting entitlement programs such as welfare, WIC, the blind etc...

Your thoughts?

The Lord tells us to provide for the poor. Not to outsource our responsibility to the poor to others.

Oh and there is a time for "levity" and a time to be serious. I'd rather not profane the scriptures.

Okay so the outsource thing. That's a legitimate view and I often wonder about it. I donate money out of every fee our firm collects but I often wonder if it's enough.
Do you believe all those people who are genuinely in need would be provided for, without the help of government?
Maybe they would. The question is "If people saved a lot of money in taxes because we didn't have programs to help say, the blind for example, would they take that extra money and donate it to helping the blind?"

It's tough and I don't claim to have the "right" answer here because I don't know if there is one. I've lived in countries where there are little in the way of social programs and a lot in the way of rich people. It was always very sad to see what happened to those in need. Would our country do better? I don't know but I don't think so. There seems to be a growing resentment toward the poor in our country. As if they are all drug addicts etc...
I think our country would become much like India, Mexico etc... The poor, the blind, the disabled, lying all over the streets of our cities (except in the wealthy areas where they know better than to exist). We're getting closer to that lately anyway.

Your thoughts?

Okay so the outsource thing. That's a legitimate view and I often wonder about it. I donate money out of every fee our firm collects but I often wonder if it's enough.
Do you believe all those people who are genuinely in need would be provided for, without the help of government?
Maybe they would. The question is "If people saved a lot of money in taxes because we didn't have programs to help say, the blind for example, would they take that extra money and donate it to helping the blind?"

It's tough and I don't claim to have the "right" answer here because I don't know if there is one. I've lived in countries where there are little in the way of social programs and a lot in the way of rich people. It was always very sad to see what happened to those in need. Would our country do better? I don't know but I don't think so. There seems to be a growing resentment toward the poor in our country. As if they are all drug addicts etc...
I think our country would become much like India, Mexico etc... The poor, the blind, the disabled, lying all over the streets of our cities (except in the wealthy areas where they know better than to exist). We're getting closer to that lately anyway.

Of all the dumb things you have ever said, that is the dumbest.

Tell me something, what did the poor people do before smart people like you decided to make the government help them? did they all starve to death?

Your thoughts?

Well, what do you know, we actually agree on something. :eek: If you're meaning is that paying taxes has nothing to do with giving of yourself to help other people, i.e. it counts as far as what Jesus taught. I don't think it does.

I think the resentment that you sense is because of the fact that there are many, many different ways for someone who is 'poor' to help themselves better their lives via the myriad of government programs available for higher education or training. So, in my opinion, unless you're mentally or physically disabled in some way, there's really no excuse for being 'poor' in this country. Instead I think a lot of people take advantage of the support that is offered and do nothing to improve their situation, and when people are giving up 50% of their income to enable that behavior, they're going to start to resent it.

There's no excuse for being poor? Plenty of people who are poor work. Your view of the poor is 19th century, Newby. Children represent a disproportionate share of the poor in the United States; they are 24 percent of the total population, but 36 percent of the poor population. http://www.npc.umich.edu/poverty/#5

Blessed are the poor in spirit.

You gonna blame those children for their poverty?

Last edited:
There's no excuse for being poor? Plenty of people who are poor work. Your view of the poor is 19th century, Newby.

If you grow up in a poor family and have a modicum of intelligence and a good bit of ambition, there is nothing to stop you from bettering yourself in this country, many people have done it. You have to want it.

There's no excuse for being poor? Plenty of people who are poor work. Your view of the poor is 19th century, Newby.

If you grow up in a poor family and have a modicum of intelligence and a good bit of ambition, there is nothing to stop you from bettering yourself in this country, many people have done it. You have to want it.
My family was dirt poor farmers hell yes if you put your mind too it you can do anything without the governments help.

Bullshit.

You don't know what you're talking about. 36% of the poor are children. You gonna blame them for their poverty?

Let's see you suffer from poverty instead of them.

Bullshit.

You don't know what you're talking about. 36% of the poor are children. You gonna blame them for their poverty?

:banghead:

And when those poor children grow up and excel and study all throughout their school career, because of their parent's dire situation, when they graduate they will have all kinds of funds and opportunities available to them to continue on to college. It's not about making excuses. You have to want it.

My family was dirt poor farmers hell yes if you put your mind too it you can do anything without the governments help.

Bullshit. Just because you were able to do it doesn't mean EVERYBODY ELSE can do it.

Bullshit.

Horse shit.

Bullshit.

:banghead:

And when those poor children grow up and excel and study all throughout their school career, because of their parent's dire situation, when they graduate they will have all kinds of funds and opportunities available to them to continue on to college. It's not about making excuses. You have to want it.

It is NOT about motivation. Plenty of the poor work at poverty level jobs. Your idea of the poor is 19th century poor house mentality.

You want debtors prison again?

Bullshit. Just because you were able to do it doesn't mean EVERYBODY ELSE can do it.

I know plenty of people who did.

I know plenty of people who did.

So what. That's doesn't mean everyone can do it. You don't get it. Most of the wealth in our country is in the mitts of the filthy rich. People get rich off the backs of the poor. Nothing has changed in that regard.

They work at poverty level jobs because they made choices in their lives that resulted in them not being equipped to do anything else.

Forum List

Back