Some of My Favorite Bible Verses - Paraphrased

I see.
So you would be a "Christian" then?
And this post would reflect what Christians like you, are like?
You would be an example of God's love?
I feel sorry for you.
I hope that everything you could ever wish for, becomes yours.

Your post is condescending and hateful. That shows you to be a shithead and a hypocrite.

Your post is condescending and hateful. That shows you to be a shithead and a hypocrite.

Jesus was referring to a child when he he mentioned the "least among you." Children are distinguished by innocence. Fags are distinguished by perversion. So, no, Jesus didn't mean fags. He also didn't mean people of other faiths. And, too bad for you, he also didn't mean people with skulls full of shit.

Here's one my favorite verses in modern language:

* God hates fags.

:eusa_eh:

Really? He literally came to bring an iron weapon? What was he going to do with it?

Have you ever had a positive discussion with people? It's actually fun to exchange ideas with people. I mean, obviously you get a lot of gratification from well, what you do but have you even considered being positive once in a while? Just a thought.

As to your comment, apparently you think Jesus was sent to Earth to be an arms dealer. That's unique.

The rest of us are discussing what verses mean to us.

Why on earth would I think that somebody paraphrased the bible to say "Self righteous people are dicks!" among other things wanted to have a *civil* discussion about it?

If you want to have a civil discussion about the bible, you might try to treat it with respect. Otherwise, meh.

Also, I find it interesting that while you like paraphrasing the Word to mean all sorts of bizarro things, when faced with the someone else's quote, you get up in arms, so to speak, and start sneering.

So again, what would the point be of being civil? Are you being civil?

Nope.

I didn't say YOU are self-righteous and yet you immediately bring up that one verse and get personally rattled. Notice how no one else did?
Jesus was referring to the Pharisees in the verse in which I refer the "Self-Righteous". He called them vipers - which was pretty much as low as you could go.
My abject apologies if for some reason, you thought that was meant for you.

So you quoted the verse about the sword. Would you care to explain what you think it means or don't you know? I'd be happy to share my views on that particular reference, if you come up empty!

As far as "bizzaro meanings, would you like me to cite the specific verses and see if there is any other possible meaning they could have?
We could discuss it! And be friends!
C'monnnn let be Best Friends!

<<<<<<Hug for my new BFF KosherGirl>>>>>>>>> :)

Er, no, I didn't think you were referring to me.

And I know what the original biblical verses mean, I don't need a sacrilegious douche explaining them to me.

I also know what he meant when he said he came to bring a sword.

""Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." Matt 10:34

"Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division." Luke 12:51

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. - Proverbs 1:7

:thup:

And I know what the original biblical verses mean, I don't need a sacrilegious douche explaining them to me.

""Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." Matt 10:34

"Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division." Luke 12:51

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. - Proverbs 1:7

The "paraphrasing" reminds me of:

"because you were lukewarm I spat you out"

Another good one, that helps when people are continually attacking people for being Christian, and jeering at the bible, and blaspheming against Christ, God and the Word:

2 Timothy 3:1-9

New International Version (NIV)

3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God&#8212; 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth. 8 Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so also these teachers oppose the truth. They are men of depraved minds, who, as far as the faith is concerned, are rejected. 9 But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men, their folly will be clear to everyone."

It helps not because it hints at the punishment such ppl will endure, but because it recognizes exactly what is taking place..

I see.
I feel sorry for you.

Ah. So you're sensitive and apparently somewhat thin-skinned. I see.
So then your brand of Christians never actually say anything, they just throw tantrums and call people shitheads.
I have a rather different kind of spirituality.

Why on earth would I think that somebody paraphrased the bible to say "Self righteous people are dicks!" among other things wanted to have a *civil* discussion about it?

If you want to have a civil discussion about the bible, you might try to treat it with respect. Otherwise, meh.

Also, I find it interesting that while you like paraphrasing the Word to mean all sorts of bizarro things, when faced with the someone else's quote, you get up in arms, so to speak, and start sneering.

So again, what would the point be of being civil? Are you being civil?

Nope.

I didn't say YOU are self-righteous and yet you immediately bring up that one verse and get personally rattled. Notice how no one else did?
Jesus was referring to the Pharisees in the verse in which I refer the "Self-Righteous". He called them vipers - which was pretty much as low as you could go.

So you quoted the verse about the sword. Would you care to explain what you think it means or don't you know? I'd be happy to share my views on that particular reference, if you come up empty!

As far as "bizzaro meanings, would you like me to cite the specific verses and see if there is any other possible meaning they could have?

So what do you think those two verses mean? You keep saying you know.

I love proverbs! So what do you think THAT verse means?
It seems like you're really good at quoting verses but I assume you don't think these verses have to do with swords.
You claim my understanding of the verses I quoted is wrong, that you know precisely which verses are referenced but offer no opinions of you own as to what they might mean.
Nothing of substance. Just the plebian prattle one would usually have to travel to a trailer park to find.
Why not give it a try.

I've never seen a single thread where you have ever been able to intellectually debate anyone of differing views / ideology, and it's not like Ariux has everyone thinking "He must be a Mensa member!" with the content of his post.
If the best you have is puerile perjoratives which are more self-deprecating than anything else, so be it.
But I invite you to try to show you know something. Anything. And I promise I won't call you childish names for at least giving a civil and intellectual debate a try.

I see.
I feel sorry for you.

So then your brand of Christians never actually say anything, they just throw tantrums and call people shitheads.

Yeah, you prefer to call people dicks.

Not really seeing how that's much better

When are people going to realize that knowing the scriptures are worthless and bring condemnation if you don't actually live them?

You like your paraphrase, "Don't love only people who are and believe just like you. Even the lowlifes can do that. Love those you would be tempted to hate." is it just a nice line to you or are you actually going to practice it as well?

The power of godliness is made manifest through living the principles of the Gospel, especially the principle of godliness. Are you willing to give your life for an enemy because you love them so much? Maybe not, that's a tough one, but if you dont even bother trying to be nice to someone you dont like, then how will you ever know?

Our Heavenly Father is reaching out to all of us. Christ has given His life for us. When are we going to actually follow their counsel and prepare ourselves for His Presence?

Enoch prepared His people to enter into the Lord's Rest. Melchizedek did the same. Moses tried to but the Israelites were stubborn. It's time we prepared ourselves for the Lord's appearance.

And that requires love, even for our enemies. It requires us to use the Atonement and repent of our sins. It requires us to humble ourselves. To be honest with ourselves. Not just admire a few verses in the scriptures but actually apply them in our lives.

All we have to do is have the faith to try hard and God will take care of the rest. Why won't we do it?

Yeah, you prefer to call people dicks.

Whom did I call a dick? No one. Project much?

Not really seeing how that's much better

When are people going to realize that knowing the scriptures are worthless and bring condemnation if you don't actually live them?

You like your paraphrase, "Don't love only people who are and believe just like you. Even the lowlifes can do that. Love those you would be tempted to hate." is it just a nice line to you or are you actually going to practice it as well?

I don't claim to be perfect or even close. But in what way am I not practicing this?

The power of godliness is made manifest through living the principles of the Gospel, especially the principle of godliness. Are you willing to give your life for an enemy because you love them so much? Maybe not, that's a tough one, but if you dont even bother trying to be nice to someone you dont like, then how will you ever know?

I agree. For that reason, when Ariux and KosherGirl came in with overt hostility, name-calling etc... I did not return fire - tempting as it was. Am I a doormat? No. So i will at least reply with a challenge. But no where near the profanity and hatred they display.
I'm sorry, do you claim you never insult people here?

Our Heavenly Father is reaching out to all of us. Christ has given His life for us. When are we going to actually follow their counsel and prepare ourselves for His Presence?

I'm actually REALLY confortable with my relationship with God. Which you know, is pretty great.

Enoch prepared His people to enter into the Lord's Rest. Melchizedek did the same. Moses tried to but the Israelites were stubborn. It's time we prepared ourselves for the Lord's appearance.

And that requires love, even for our enemies. It requires us to use the Atonement and repent of our sins. It requires us to humble ourselves. To be honest with ourselves. Not just admire a few verses in the scriptures but actually apply them in our lives.

You preach a good game! So let's see if your actions match what you tell others to do. Please show me 3 or 4 links where you replied to someone of strongly opposing views with the phrase "I was wrong and you are right." or better yet "I apologize."

All we have to do is have the faith to try hard and God will take care of the rest. Why won't we do it?

I don't know why you won't do it!

I see.
I feel sorry for you.

It seems like you're really good at quoting verses but I assume you don't think these verses have to do with swords.
You claim my understanding of the verses I quoted is wrong, that you know precisely which verses are referenced but offer no opinions of you own as to what they might mean.
Nothing of substance. Just the plebian prattle one would usually have to travel to a trailer park to find.
Why not give it a try.

I've never seen a single thread where you have ever been able to intellectually debate anyone of differing views / ideology, and it's not like Ariux has everyone thinking "He must be a Mensa member!" with the content of his post.
If the best you have is puerile perjoratives which are more self-deprecating than anything else, so be it.
But I invite you to try to show you know something. Anything. And I promise I won't call you childish names for at least giving a civil and intellectual debate a try.

The fact is you don't know what intellectual debate is, so the fact that you don't recognize it doesn't really mean anything, in *real* time. The puerile perjoratives in this thread are all yours. I don't debate or even discuss the bible with people who crap on it. The bible says not to waste time on you.

Last edited:
Okay, I've paraphrased some of my favorate verses into modern language.

How much do you know about Hebrew, Aramaic, or Greek?

* Whomever you would consider to be the lowest among you (people of differing faith or orientation, perhaps?), they may be the greatest. Treat them as such.

And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great.

Yep, sounds like you fracked that up.

* Don't love only people who are and believe just like you. Even the lowlifes can do that. Love those you would be tempted to hate.

Wow, is that not even close to what he said or what?

Love your enemies does not mean love the people that you don't like, it means love the people that want to fracking kill you.

By the way, how does putting people on ignore stack up to loving people you are tempted to hate?

* No matter how different someone is or what they have done, forgive them. This is the ultimate strength.

Why do I have to forgive people who are different? Did they do something wrong by being different?

* Don't worry about the beliefs or actions of other people. You're so screwed up, you need to just worry about your own self.

Yet you keep talking about how screwed up people who disagree with you are.

Amazing.

* If you want to point your finger at someone's actions that's fine. Just make sure you have never done anything wrong in your life and it's all good. So it's not like your "sins" are of better quality than someone else's.

Huh?

Tell me something, how does this stack up to 1 Cor 6:1-4

* Any time you refuse to help someone you could have helped, you've missed a chance to make your life better, richer and more fulfilling. You've screwed up.

I might give you that one, it at least approaches the spirit of the verse.

* Self-righteous people are <okay fine, edited> Jerks! Vipers! (My apologies to those who were offended).

Must be how you can look at yourself in the mirror, you don't think self righteousness is a sin.

* Go for your goals with everything you have!

I have no idea what this one is supposed to be.

* But keep in mind, if you achieve all your goals and have everything, but you're not a loving person, you've got nothing.

Hit the spirit twice, amazing.

How about yours?

I kinda like this one, "If you add to these words you will get all the plagues in this book."

"But those enemies of mine who do did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me." Luke 19:27
This was apparently said by Jesus...

EDIT: I was absolutely horrified to have read this because it seems rather uncharacteristic of him and goes against most of his teachings. This seems like a rather inappropriate thread to share it in, but I really felt like bringing it up.

There's also no real reason to paraphrase due to its rather blunt nature...

Talk about taking things out of context.

Tell me something, how should God react if he trusts you to do good and you bury your gifts?

* Whomever you would consider to be the lowest among you (people of differing faith or orientation, perhaps?), they may be the greatest. Treat them as such.

And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great.

Love your enemies does not mean love the people that you don't like, it means love the people that want to fracking kill you.

By the way, how does putting people on ignore stack up to loving people you are tempted to hate?

Why do I have to forgive people who are different? Did they do something wrong by being different?

Amazing.

Huh?

Must be how you can look at yourself in the mirror, you don't think self righteousness is a sin.

* But keep in mind, if you achieve all your goals and have everything, but you're not a loving person, you've got nothing.

How about yours?

I kinda like this one, "If you add to these words you will get all the plagues in this book."

There's no point in discussing the bible with someone who profanes it.

Amazing.

Huh?

How about yours?

There's no point in discussing the bible with someone who profanes it.

I enjoy mocking idiots. At some point he will pop in and be all self righteous about having me on ignore. Be sure to laugh at his hypocrisy when he does.

I just can't bring myself to engage with someone who is befouling the Word. When I do, it seems to agitate them to new heights of blasphemy, and I end up feeling guilty.

Why not give it a try.

The fact is you don't know what intellectual debate is, so the fact that you don't recognize it doesn't really mean anything, in *real* time. The puerile perjoratives in this thread are all yours. I don't debate or even discuss the bible with people who crap on it. The bible says not to waste time on you.

Another dodge, eh. Not surprising.
I'm sorry did you debate here? No. You did what you always do and offered what you always offer. Petty insults but nothing of substance. You said nothing on any verses - not even the ones you quoted.
It's clearly the law of compensation and some rather obvious anger issues.
I feel sorry for you.
All you have is your petty insults for strangers you will never know and who will never care about anything you have to say.
That's actually really sad.
If you ever want to even try a debate or (Gasp!) discussion, you're welcome to. I may challenge the validity of what you say but I won't insult you personally.
And I won't dodge or change the subject.

I just can't bring myself to engage with someone who is befouling the Word. When I do, it seems to agitate them to new heights of blasphemy, and I end up feeling guilty.

You're right. Although "dicks" was more a playful insult akin to "jerk" in California, I should have considered that it could be very offensive to many people.
I have changed it in the OP.
I apologize to you and anyone else who was offended.

I've taken you off ignore to see if you can actually have a discussion without sling petty insults. We'll see.

I know a bit. I had to study the Big Three Codexes in school. Sinaiticus, Vaticanus and Alexandricanus. Obviously we also went through the Latin Vulgate, the Wyclyffe Bible (talk about a weird way to get excommunicated!) KJV and so on.

Actually, I was thinking of Mark 10:42 but i could see where you came up with that. I certainly could have made it clearer. Of course, I sought only discussion whereas it seems you and a few others seek only conflict and excuse to criticize. The evvidence of this would be the fact that you have only contradicted and criticized - which anyone can do.

That is your interpretation but let's see if that makes sense. You should love people who are trying to KILL you. Say, Al Qaeda members for instance. But the guy who volunteers with wounded vets and happens to be gay or Democrat or whatever? Him you should hate?
This makes sense to you?

Jesus didn't interact with those who weren't worth the time. If you could debate without petty insults, you might be worth paying attnetion to. Previously, you had not once evidenced the ability to do so. The Bible makes it clear there is a time to shake the dust off your feet.
However, you seem intelligent and like you might have ideas worthy of discussion and debate. If you can refrain from including personal attacks every time you post, i am more than happy to see what ideas you come up with.

I guess you don't understand. Would you say it is easier to forgive someone who has insulted you, if they are a Christian, Conservative American who shares your values, than it is for you to forgive someone who you know is a Muslim, Liberal who has completely different values? Or whatever you might find offensive. If you are honest, you will admit it is easier to forgive some people than others. If you are just concerned about being right, you won't.

Amazing.

Show me where I said someone is screwed up specifically because they disagree with any stated views.
Now, there are people who neither agree nor disagree. They just come in slinging petty insults and looking for something to criticize.
But you are wrong. I have not said anyone is screwed up for disagreeing with me. Or you could show where that happened.

Huh?

This time, you not only misunderstand the point, you misinterpret to it's opposite.
I simply referenced "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." So in other words, you wanna point your finger at others, make sure you haven't ever done anything wrong, yourself.

Ah. It begins. Well let's skip it.

Coll 3;23

How about yours?

You realize of course, the Bible you have at home, HAS been added to, subtracted from in a BIG way and altered radically?
Oh wait. That was just a petty jab, wasn't it?

So that's the substance you have to offer? Basically, you spent the whole thread trying to find things to contradict and ended with a petty jab. How predictable.
On the other hand, I have addressed everything you've posted directly - no dodges and without personal insult or attack.
And I should not have you on ignore because you offer such great contribution and insight? Because it's obvious from your threads you're such a positive person? Honestly, I'm not seeing it. You still seem to be the same contrarian you always were. There are a lot of people here I've actually LEARNED from and exchanged great ideas with. Why interact with people who are always negative?
Well let's see what happens.

Last edited:
I've taken you off ignore to see if you can actually have a discussion without sling petty insults. We'll see.

I know a bit. I had to study the Big Three Codexes in school. Sinaiticus, Vaticanus and Alexandricanus. Obviously we also went through the Latin Vulgate, the Wyclyffe Bible (talk about a weird way to get excommunicated!) KJV and so on.

You sling insults, I sling them back, and you cry about it. Stop posting idiotic stuff and no one will call you idiotic.

Actually, I was thinking of Mark 10:42 but i could see where you came up with that. I certainly could have made it clearer. Of course, I sought only discussion whereas it seems you and a few others seek only conflict and excuse to criticize. The evvidence of this would be the fact that you have only contradicted and criticized - which anyone can do.

See what I mean about petty insults?

Tell me something, why would Jesus tell his followers to treat people who say he did not come in the flesh as the greatest among them? He obviously wouldn't, would he?

I do not seek conflict, I just don't hide from it. If you actually sought discussion you wouldn't run away when it is offered. More than once I actually pointed out the fact that the stuff you post is logically null, just like this example is, and you run away because it hurts your head. What am I supposed to do when you are so far wrong it doesn't even make sense, pat you on the head and tell you what a good boy you are?

Don't complain when I contradict and criticize you, it could be worse.

That is your interpretation but let's see if that makes sense. You should love people who are trying to KILL you. Say, Al Qaeda members for instance. But the guy who volunteers with wounded vets and happens to be gay or Democrat or whatever? Him you should hate?
This makes sense to you?

I don't hate anyone, it doesn't line up with the teachings of Christ as I understand them. Therefore, it wouldn't make sense for me to think I should love people I hate.

The day I start hating anyone because they are gay, or even because they are Muslim, feel free to call me on it. Until then, accept the fact that I happen to be right here, loving the people who are trying to do you harm is what Jesus was talking about.

Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Jesus didn't interact with those who weren't worth the time. If you could debate without petty insults, you might be worth paying attnetion to. Previously, you had not once evidenced the ability to do so. The Bible makes it clear there is a time to shake the dust off your feet.
However, you seem intelligent and like you might have ideas worthy of discussion and debate. If you can refrain from including personal attacks every time you post, i am more than happy to see what ideas you come up with.

I bet you can't find a single example of that in the Bible. Not only did he publicly interact with the Scribes and the Pharisees, he even ate with them. (Luke 7:36) He allowed prostitutes and thieves to follow him around, and he took a man he knew would betray him as a disciple.

Like I said before, if you stop throwing around insults every fracking time you post I won't throw them back. Just ask Cenotaph if I can argue a position, and even convince a guy that knows to his core that he is right that he is actually wrong,

The problem here is not me, it is you. I treat your opinions with the contempt they deserve when they deserve and you take it as a personal insult.

I guess you don't understand. Would you say it is easier to forgive someone who has insulted you, if they are a Christian, Conservative American who shares your values, than it is for you to forgive someone who you know is a Muslim, Liberal who has completely different values? Or whatever you might find offensive. If you are honest, you will admit it is easier to forgive some people than others. If you are just concerned about being right, you won't.

Did I say it was easy? I have no reason to forgive gays, or Muslims, unless they try to hurt me, and then I will do it because I know the alternative is worse than anything they can do.

By the way, I don't find ideas or attitudes offensive,I find stupidity offensive.

Show me where I said someone is screwed up specifically because they disagree with any stated views.
Now, there are people who neither agree nor disagree. They just come in slinging petty insults and looking for something to criticize.
But you are wrong. I have not said anyone is screwed up for disagreeing with me. Or you could show where that happened.

Did you read what you were typing when you replied to this post? You think me contradicting and criticizing your point of view is wrong, yet you are now saying that does not mean you think I am screwed up simply because I contradict and criticize you.

Want to try and explain that one?

This time, you not only misunderstand the point, you misinterpret to it's opposite.
I simply referenced "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." So in other words, you wanna point your finger at others, make sure you haven't ever done anything wrong, yourself.

No, you specifically said don't point your finger at people and think your sins are better than theirs.

Still want to know how that stacks up to 1 Cor 6, or is that part of the Bible you discard?

Ah. It begins. Well let's skip it.

Once again, you toss around insults, but when someone points out that you are being self righteous you pretend they are the ones that are crazy.

Coll 3;23

Not quite sure why you think a verse urging you to dedicate every part of your life to God means go for your goals.

You realize of course, the Bible you have at home, HAS been added to, subtracted from in a BIG way and altered radically?
Oh wait. That was just a petty jab, wasn't it? [/quote]

You claim you studied the codexes, so you realize, of course, that that quote applies to Revelations, not the Bible.

Or was that just a petty jab?

So that's the substance you have to offer? Basically, you spent the whole thread trying to find things to contradict and ended with a petty jab. How predictable.

I didn't try things to contradict, I pointed out what you got wrong. That is what happens in a debate. One person makes a statement, the other person tries to prove him wrong. The problem here is your idea of a discussion is that everyone should bow to your brilliance because you are so obviously right that only an idiot could disagree with you, which allows you to dismiss anyone who disagrees with you as an idiot.

A bit of circular reasoning there, but I am sure you have no problem rationalizing it. (FYI, that was a jab.)

On the other hand, I have addressed everything you've posted directly - no dodges and without personal insult or attack.

That was funny.

How was your casual dismissal of my entire post as nothing but trying to contradict you not dodging what I am saying?

And I should not have you on ignore because you offer such great contribution and insight? Because it's obvious from your threads you're such a positive person? Honestly, I'm not seeing it. You still seem to be the same contrarian you always were. There are a lot of people here I've actually LEARNED from and exchanged great ideas with. Why interact with people who are always negative?
Well let's see what happens.

Tell me something, how did I manage to convince a gay person that know he did not choose to be gay that the science does not back him up if nothing I post has any insight? Your problem with me is actually rather simple, I am an arrogant prick, just like you, and it annoys you, Not only that, it really annoys you that you do not annoy me back.

Jesus took a whip to the people he saw defiling the Temple, he insulted the religious and political caste of his day, he even disrespected people in their own homes. What, exactly, is your beef with me again? That I don't treat your ideas with respect?

Forum List

Back