Some Israeli Soccer Fans Spread Hate Against Hometeam Muslims

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
amazing how america is so advanced of even israel in getting beyond hate in sports and culture in general.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/520409.html
Soccer / No Muslims at Betar, fans warn

By Itzik Ganish

Two months after Nigerian defender Ibrahim Nadala departed from Betar Jerusalem after fans verbally harassed him for being a Muslim, some fans are voicing similar feelings about a possible Betar signing of Ghanaian forward Ismail Ido.

Two Betar fans made calls to this reporter on his cellular phone at Hadashot Netanya yesterday, inquiring about Ido's religious background. Ido played for Maccabi Netanya in the past.

The first caller, who identified himself as Yisrael, said: "They told us in Jerusalem that you could help us."

Reporter: "How?"

"Do you know if Ismail is Muslim or Christian?"

"I'm not sure."

"Check for us, b'hayat rabak (by the life of God), before our management screws up again. I'll get back to you. Check, do me a favor, so there won't be any mistakes.

"Why? What difference does it make?"

"What do you mean? If he's Muslim, then we veto him, [Betar chairman Meir] Fenigil will have a veto on his hands. You know, it's serious, I'm asking you."

An hour and a half later, another fan called:

"My name is Lior. I'm with some Betar fans, we called you earlier to find out if Ismail Ido is an Arab or a Christian. Can you let us know?"

"He's Christian. He even has a cross, and before he goes out on the field he crosses himself."

"Ehiye salamtak (Be healthy), you've really helped us out. If you hadn't, we'd have kicked up a real stink, you know, like usual. There's no way we'd have a Muslim. You're the man."

"Tell me, why behave this way?"

"What do you mean, why? An Arab at Betar? They tried to bring us a Muslim. We've never accepted one and we never will, God forbid. We're Betar, not Maccabi, not Hapoel, and not even Bnei Yehuda, no way. We hate Arabs."

"What would you have done if he was Muslim?"

"The same we did to the other Hamas member, it doesn't matter who you are. There are a lot of the things the newspapers don't know, things they don't report on. We know there's a trend at Yediot Aharonot not to write too much about violence. They'll soon discover what they don't know. Any means is legitimate, God forbid that an Arab comes to Betar."

Then the first fan, Yisrael, got on the line, and said, "Don't write any names, forget about it, what for? After all, we were only checking. He's not Muslim, and that's it. Yalla salamtak (be healthy) bro, walla (by God) you're okay."

I wonder what they would do if an Israeli tried out for the Palestinian soccer team ...

Forum List

Back