Some illegal immigrants pack bags as Ariz. crackdown nears

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
PHOENIX - "Cinco dolares," Silvia Arias says when asked the price of car polish at a garage sale that she and two close friends, Minerva Ruiz and Claudia Suriano, are holding. "Five dollars." Another sale is made.

The three women planned the sale to raise money to leave Arizona. Though all are longtime residents, viewed as pillars of parental support at the neighborhood elementary school, they're also illegal immigrants from Mexico. And along with many others, they want to escape a tough new state law whose stated intention is unambiguous: To drive illegal immigrants out of Arizona and discourage them from coming here.

There is no official data tracking how many are leaving as a result.

"It's something that's really tough to get a handle on numerically," said Bill Schooling, Arizona's state demographer. "It's not just the immigration bill. It's also employer sanctions and the economy. How do you separate out the motivating factors?"

Still, anecdotal evidence provided by schools and businesses in heavily Hispanic neighborhoods and by health clinics suggests that sizable numbers are departing. Ignacio Rodriguez, associate director for the Phoenix Roman Catholic Diocese's Office of Hispanic Ministries, said churches in the area are also seeing families leave.

Priests are "seeing some people approach them and ask for a blessing because they're leaving the state to go back to their country of origin or another state," he said. "Unless they approach and ask for a sending-off blessing, we wouldn't have any idea they're leaving or why."

Ruiz and Suriano and their families plan to move this month. Arias and her family are considering leaving, but are waiting to see if the law will go into effect as scheduled July 29, and, if so, how it will be enforced.

Some illegal immigrants pack bags as Ariz. crackdown nears

Bravo to Arizona!

Still, anecdotal evidence provided by schools and businesses in heavily Hispanic neighborhoods and by health clinics suggests that sizable numbers are departing. Ignacio Rodriguez, associate director for the Phoenix Roman Catholic Diocese's Office of Hispanic Ministries, said churches in the area are also seeing families leave.

Sounds like the same kind of exodus that Okc experienced when HB 1804 passed. The S.W. side of Okc(little Mexico) became a ghost town almost overnight and for those fools that keep spouting off at the neck that it will bankrupt Az;

Unemployment isn't the only good-looking economic indicator. The state's gross domestic product grew by 2.7% in 2008, the most recent year available, while national GDP that year grew by only 0.4%. "Traditional" welfare enrollment (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) is about 0.6% of the population, well below the national average. Per-capita personal income is higher than it was two years ago (+2.8%); nationwide, it's lower (-0.7%).

Read more: Oklahoma, Which Passed Serious Immigration Reform in 2007, Continues to Economically Outperform | NewsBusters.org

So I say again, Bravo Arizona!! :clap2:

If they didn't break the law and come here illegally, then they would have NOTHING to worry about and their lives wouldn't be uprooted!

Sorry but immigration laws are important.

Hi Angel:

...Priests are "seeing some people approach them and ask for a blessing because they're leaving the state to go back to their country of origin or another state," he said. "Unless they approach and ask for a sending-off blessing, we wouldn't have any idea they're leaving or why."

First of all, Illegal Alien Foreign Nationals come to the USA in the middle of the night through the back door with very little regard for the 'Rule of Law.' They steal identities from Americans, so they can steal JOBS from Americans and take bread out of the mouths of American children. The idea that these same Illegal Aliens are 'going home to their own country' is ludicrous, when all they have to do is 'migrate' to New Mexico or Texas where Illegal Aliens are welcomed with open arms into the Cheap Illegal Alien Labor Pools in those neighboring states.

Ruiz and Suriano and their families plan to move this month. Arias and her family are considering leaving, but are waiting to see if the law will go into effect as scheduled July 29, and, if so, how it will be enforced.

These Illegal Alien Foreign Nationals 'are' citizens of OTHER COUNTRIES and they know damned good and well that Obama is NOT enforcing the perfectly good immigration, employment and document fraud laws already on the books. Now these same Illegal Aliens wonder if Obama can stop Governor Brewer from enforcing the Rule of Law, because of all of the 'lawsuit' drama coming out of Washington D.C. ...

GL,

Terral
http://azstarnet.com/article_79bdadeb-f57b-5efe-9117-ff814c4f3c70.html

Last edited:
It wasnt Americas problem that theycame here.
It IS americas problem that they ARE here.
It isnt Americas problem that they are (hopefully) going home.

They are packing their bags...wow, i thought they going to stay since they already breaking the current laws in place. I bet they are going to California. After all, that state will just get deeper in debt.

If they come to CA, people deserve it. CA has already given in to the influx of illegals - a long time ago. They have bent over backwards to make it nice and comfy for them. They cater to them everywhere you turn. If CA is bankrupt, it is because they refuse to face the truth that illegals bring a lot of problems with them and dump them on CA doorstep!

In the small AZ town I live in in the winter, and near in the summer, there are 5 restaurants. I sometimes tend bar in one of them to help out the owners who are my friends. This is a very small town, and I personally know the owners and the managers of all 5 places. The above statements are how I have knowledge of the situation I describe here, and also the reason I have no links to post.

In 4 out of 5 of the restaurants in this town the kitchen staff is primarily illegal aliens from Mexico. In one all employees are legal citizens or legal residents.
The one that is owned by my friends is the one that does not hire illegals. The meal and drink prices are a little higher, and it has been harder for this place to compete with the others. The fact that the restaurant has been open since 1918 and is owned by the 4th generation of the same family that founded it, along with superior food and service has been the reason they have been able to compete.

The kitchen staff in 4 of these restaurants have announced they are leaving ‘en masse’ before the new immigration law goes into effect. They have organized into a group and have announced they will all leave Arizona on July 5th, 2010. Their intent is to force their respective employers to close due to lack of staff, this intent has been announced publically. Obviously, my buddy’s place has an advantage over the others for observing the law. The workers from the other 4 places have not only appealed to the town’s sympathy, they have indicated that despite breaking the law, they are entitled to remain here illegally. They insist that enforcing the immigration law is “racist”. They have been appealing to the sympathy of the town by making it known that their children will suffer. Their argument is that their children will suffer because of the law, however; the fact is their children will suffer because of the illegal actions of their parents.
There is no acknowledgment that my buddy’s restaurant has been subjected to unfair competition from the others, or that he has helped Mexican immigrants obtain US citizenship for two generations.
That’s right, my friend and his father before him have sponsored immigrants and assisted them in gaining US citizenship. My friend’s Great grandfather and mother emigrated LEGALLY from Mexico, and still maintain contact with family in Mexico. Despite all this, the ‘organization’ of illegals from the other restaurants have deemed him and his restaurant ‘racist’.

In our town, according to the last census, around 58% of the legal residents are of Hispanic heritage. The legal population, especially the Hispanics, of the town seems to be unsympathetic. Most seem to agree that while it is sad to see the effects of the enforcement of the law on a personal level, there are repercussions for breaking the law. In addition, there is a recognition that in our small town, the drug dealers and the whores are illegals. We don’t need them around here, and won’t be sad to see them go. We will not miss the illegal camps in the forest, or the fires intentionally set by illegals to distract law enforcement from detecting the illegal traffic of humans and drugs.

The race card and the appeal for sympathy is not working in our town because everyone understands that it still all comes back to the fact that these people got here by violating the law.

Hope they don't catch their asses on that barbed wire fence when they go back across the border. I also hope they stay in Mexico and never return unless they do it legally. Wouldn't it be nice if they all left and never came back? Talk about an early Christmas present. Thank you, Arizona for having the balls to do what our own federal government won't do and that is to enforce the laws already on the books in terms of illegal aliens.

Forum List

Back