some great ole movies ....

Feb 15, 2004
I mentioned Rear Window which is one of my favourite movies.

There is a very old movie made in the thirties called 'We Three'. It is about three women opening up a boarding school and have to deal with a very bad little girl.

Another movie is called 'The Bad Seed' - it is about a young girl who murders adults - it is not Stephen King gore but sort of Alfred Hitchcock style - very good movie if the subject doesn't bother you.

'Singing in the Rain' a classic muscial. I am not a muscial lover but this one is the exception.

'Its a mad mad mad mad world' - if you like goofy comedy with many stars - this is a great laugh. I have seen it more times than I could possibly count and I laugh at the same ole story.

'Sparticus' - Great great movie! Watch it - don't know anyone who didn't enjoy this film.

There was a very funny film made in the fourties - maybe someone knows the name - it was one of Sinatras first films and made before he was well known. He played a young man infactuated with a housekeeper who pretends to be the owner of this mansion. With the aid of the butler, the chef and the rest of the staff she sets out to convince Sinatra she is wealthy...it is a very funny picture but not a well known one. It also stars Jack Haley (who played the tin man in the Wizard of Oz)

Originally posted by winston churchi
I mentioned Rear Window which is one of my favourite movies.

There is a very old movie made in the thirties called 'We Three'. It is about three women opening up a boarding school and have to deal with a very bad little girl.

Another movie is called 'The Bad Seed' - it is about a young girl who murders adults - it is not Stephen King gore but sort of Alfred Hitchcock style - very good movie if the subject doesn't bother you.

'Singing in the Rain' a classic muscial. I am not a muscial lover but this one is the exception.

'Its a mad mad mad mad world' - if you like goofy comedy with many stars - this is a great laugh. I have seen it more times than I could possibly count and I laugh at the same ole story.

'Sparticus' - Great great movie! Watch it - don't know anyone who didn't enjoy this film.

There was a very funny film made in the fourties - maybe someone knows the name - it was one of Sinatras first films and made before he was well known. He played a young man infactuated with a housekeeper who pretends to be the owner of this mansion. With the aid of the butler, the chef and the rest of the staff she sets out to convince Sinatra she is wealthy...it is a very funny picture but not a well known one. It also stars Jack Haley (who played the tin man in the Wizard of Oz)
I've seen all except for We Three and the one with Frank Sinatra. Great movies.

The one with Frank Sinatra does sound good...now I want to know the name. I thought I had seen all his movies!

Did you ever see that movie with Fred MacMurray (the father from My Three Sons) in which he plays an adulterer. I think it was called the apartment or something like that. He was trying to get an insurance award. He was soooo good in that movie...It was an awful subject matter but a great movie.

Casablanca, The Great Escape and the Magnificent Seven are some of my all time favs.

I will have to find out that movies name. It was made before his career got started...He was probibly not known at all when the film was made.

When I find the name I will let you know - I would love to see it again - it is very funny. Sinatra isn't really funny - he sort of played the straight guy - but its a must see.

You guys go check out The Internet Movie Database. It'll tell you anything you've ever wanted to know about pretty much any movie ever. Go to search people, then put in Frank Sintatra, it'll give you his full filmography.

Speaking of Sinatra, has anyone ever seen Man With the Golden Arm? It's really depressing, but it's a really good story, and it's also the first movie to ever deal with heroin addiction.

Also, just recently I saw another Sinatra movie called Tony Rome that was pretty good. There was a great cameo by Dean Martin as the lover of a gay strip club owner.

Higher and Higher in 1944. Starring Frank and Jack Haley....I finally found it...

The movie is a laugh. I read the plot from the internet and when I saw the film - a long time ago - I remembered it had to do with a maid pretending to own the mansion she worked in - but she was pretending to be the debutant daughter of the owner....It is a very funny movie!

Another great movie is Mildred Pierce staring Joan Crawford (NO WIRE HANGERS!) A great film....

Does anyone like Marilyn Monroe? The Seven Year Itch is a classic - very funny in an innocent sort of way.

Another great MM flick is Some Like It Hot - I think that is one of the best movies ever - a great comedy about cross dressing!

I've seen Bus Stop with MM but didn't think it was that great.

Originally posted by Moi
Did you ever see that movie with Fred MacMurray (the father from My Three Sons) in which he plays an adulterer. I think it was called the apartment or something like that. He was trying to get an insurance award. He was soooo good in that movie...It was an awful subject matter but a great movie.

It's "Doulbe Indemnity". Also stars Barbara Stanwick. Great!

Originally posted by Hannitized
I love every movie I've seen with Cary Grant. He was in one with Jimmy Stewart that I've seen so many times, and laughed my head off, but never seen the beginning or the title, lol. Katherine Hepburn ("Adams Rib", awesome movie) is in it too. I think a magazine or newspaper is doing an article on her wedding. Anyway, it's good.QUOTE]

This one's, "Philadelphia Story". Among my favorites. I always said , "if Cary Grant ever knocks on my door, I'm outta here!" Then it became Harrison Ford.

I like Bette Davis movies. J. Crawford, Claude Raines, Paul Henried, the list goes on. Those were the days when 'movie star' meant just that.

Originally posted by Joz
It's "Doulbe Indemnity". Also stars Barbara Stanwick. Great!

Speaking of Fred MacMurry - the Shaggy Dog - a Disney film. Very funny!!!

Then there is the Shaggy DA with Tim Conway - even funnier! Two Dinesy films that are great.

To add to the great Disney collection:

The movie where identical twins meet up at camp that were separted at birth when their parents divorsed. They decide to switch places - a very funny movie...I just forgot the name!

That would be "the parent trap", a favorite. I even liked the redo they made recently allright, tho not as much as the first.

From my list of classics "The Women" was great. Also "Auntie Mame" (with rosalind russel, not the musical "Mame" with lucile ball tho that had a few good songs). Another great hepburn/grant flick was "bringing up baby". "Guess who's coming to dinner" was incredible with kate, spencer tracy and sydney portier. Anything with kate is on my list, haven't seen her do a bad movie. One of her last films, "grace quigley", was a dark humor piece that is incredibly thought provoking. Speaking of dark humor, "being there" with peter sellers is a good watch. Not much laugh out loud like the pink panther movies, it may take a few days for the 'joke' to become apparent.

oh yeah, IMDB.com rocks!

"the man who came to dinner"? That was a funny one about a guy, something of a schyster, who slips in front of a man's house and is moved in to recuperate so that he won't sue, hiliarity follows :) also stars jammy durante (ah cha cha cha).

Guess who's coming to dinner is a bit more serious tho still some laughs at the situation, especially this far removed from the time it was made. It's about a young woman who brings her boyfriend home to meet the parents (played by tracy/hepburn). Problem is that the young man is black (played by potier).

Originally posted by Aquarian
Anything with [Katherine Hepburn] is on my list, haven't seen her do a bad movie.

Even if, "On Golden Pond", were not a magnificent movie in every respect, I'd still love it for this one reason:

We get to watch Katherine Hepburn slap the SHIT out of Jane Fonda.

I hope that scene required many retakes.

For those of you who are Hitchcock fans, one that is semi-humorus is, "The Trouble with Harry". Has Shirley McLaine in it.
Also a couple others of his that are truly suspenseful is, "Stage Fright" and "Suspicion".

Originally posted by Joz
For those of you who are Hitchcock fans, one that is semi-humorus is, "The Trouble with Harry". Has Shirley McLaine in it.
Also a couple others of his that are truly suspenseful is, "Stage Fright" and "Suspicion".

Very funny film! I loved it - the whole plot was hilarious - buring Harry - digging him back up again - I haven't seen it years.

Forum List

Back