Some Good News From Tuesday

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Whether we like it or not, we're all here together. I'm working toward the mindset that we need to pull together, in deeds if not philosophically. Until convinced through actions the Congress will work against the President, I'll try to lower the shrillness. That doesn't mean no criticism or skeptism, I've had plenty to throw at the administration and soon to be gone legislative majority.

I think the following are some points to keep in mind:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/012/934pzlak.asp

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Someone who 'gets' it. He should be in a GOP leadership position:

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/...061110/NEWS/611100328&SearchID=73262649492341

3. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Jeff Sessions isn't too bad... he might actually, in a rare moment, concede my tagline.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    WJ there are times I would agree with you, that doesn't make me be in your image. Your image scares me and makes me ashamed. Which in itself is sad, since from reading what you've written over the years, allows me to know how bright you are.

5. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    No offense intended to your post, Kathianne, but as far as I'm concerned, the only good news that would come out of last Tuesday's election is if we learned the Democrats didn't mean any of that drivel they've been spouting since the 2000 election, and they actually do put forth an effort to work with Republicans on important national matters, like security and terrorism. Now wouldn't that be a GREAT surprise!

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    and only time will tell. In the meantime, the party needs to rethink where they want to go and how to get there. They've allowed, perhaps even abetted the infighting. GW on immigration has been divisive to the party. NOW he's getting what he wants-amnesty and no wall.

Then there was the Schiavo problem, which he insinuated the federal government into, alienating many-though an at least partially different subgroup of the party.

Then there was the ports problem, which added more disenchanted members. The list goes on. :smoke:

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    In all my reading and listening I have heard nothing that remotely asserts that the "ports problem" or the "Shiavo problem" affected the elections one iota. Is this some common knowledge that I missed or just an opinion you hold?

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    If you want to know why the GOP lost, you have to figure out what led voters away-whether they voted against or didn't vote at all. A party needs to attract, not alienate.

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I know---thats why I asked if there is any evidence that the "ports problem" or the "Schiavo problem" were a factor in the GOP loss.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    It's being discussed by some. There has to be analysis of what has happened. There is no doubt about it, factions are dividing the party. What has to be addressed is how to find the common threads which brought them together.

I don't think Gingrich can run, but he can help out in this realm.