Some Good News For Obama?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I'd think this would be pleasant news:

Vladimir Putin faces signs of mutiny in own government as protests break out in east - Telegraph

Vladimir Putin faces signs of mutiny in own government as protests break out in east
Vladimir Putin, the Russian prime minister, faces signs of an unprecedented mutiny within his own government that threatens to undermine his once unassailable authority, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal.

By Adrian Blomfield in Vladivostok
Last Updated: 9:20AM GMT 01 Feb 2009

Subordinates have begun openly to defy Mr Putin, a man whose diktat has inspired fear and awe in the echelons of power for nine years, according to government sources. Meanwhile a rift is emerging between Mr Putin and President Dmitry Medvedev, the figurehead whom he groomed as his supposedly pliant successor.

As Russia's economy begins to implode after years of energy-driven growth, Mr Putin is facing the germs of an unexpected power struggle which could hamper his ambition to project Russian might abroad.

Mounting job losses and a collapse in the price of commodities have triggered social unrest on a scale not seen for at least four years, prompting panic among Kremlin officials more accustomed to the political apathy of the Russian people.

The unease was deepened yesterday after thousands of protestors marched through the Pacific port city of Vladivostok and other cities, including Moscow, demanding Mr Putin's resignation for his handling of the flailing Russian economy.

Up to one million Russians are estimated by financial analysts to have lost their jobs over the past two months, and the economy is expected to shrink by up to three per cent this year. Meanwhile the Russian rouble has been falling steadily against other currencies for months, making it the world's third worst performing currency this year, and industry is disintegrating....

Having Russia in turmoil isn't a good thing for anybody on earth, I think.

Not that I have much respect for those in power there, but when power structures are in flux, and those powers structures have control of an arsenal of nuclear weapons capable of ending mankind's existence, that's not a good thing.

Forum List

Back