Some Gays Turn Attention to Civil Unions

immto

Return to Freedom
Jun 28, 2009
Danville, IL
Some Gays Turn Attention to Civil Unions

In the weeks since voters in the northeastern state of Maine handed the country's gay marriage movement its 27th electoral defeat in five years, other activists have voiced similar qualms about making marriage their main goal.

And earlier this year, Nevada lawmakers overrode a veto by Gov. Jim Gibbons to enact a domestic partnership law extending marriage rights to couples, gay or straight, who "have chosen to share one another's lives in an intimate and committed relationship of mutual caring." Colorado's legislature and governor also adopted a "reciprocal beneficiaries" law providing some legal benefits for all unmarried couples.

Colorado and Nevada are among the 29 states with constitutional prohibitions against gay marriages.

The success of partner measures in those states suggests that there's room for gay couples to secure spousal protections even if they can't marry, said William Dobbs, a veteran activist in New York.

"It's a huge tactical mistake to be arguing that nothing less than marriage will do," Dobbs said. "One size does not fit all.

"There is a real need among some folks to put their lives together, to have joint credit cards, a house and children," he said. "We need a set of actions for that, but the marriage fight is toxic to other types of reforms."

Since 2004, $78 million has been spent on fighting efforts to outlaw same-sex marriage, according to the National Institute on Money in State Politics. Out of 28 elections, gay marriage supporters have won only one: when Arizona voters rejected a 2006 measure that would have outlawed domestic partnerships as well as same-sex marriages. Arizona subsequently approved a constitutional ban on gay marriages last year.

Rules of fair use prohibit the posting of pieces in their entirety.

~Dude

The real problem with the Gay Marriage issue is that Marriage is a
religious institution. It has deep roots in the bible. Many
organized religions have very specific ideals on marriage. The issue
we face today is not simply equal rights as many liberals would have
you believe. But in fact it's about rights of the church. Many angry
gays who just want revenge on the religious community for their
treatment wish to force the issue of marriage onto the church. I did
say many, not ALL. There are plenty of gay people who would be happy
to simply have equal treatment in all 50 states namely the ability to
share their lives with a chosen mate and to share the same privileges
and tax incentive as well.

Gays deserve to get all the same privileges and I think most people
are with me on this one. I don't think there are many folks saying
otherwise. The real fear here is that once they get "marriage" it
will only be a few minutes before some wild activist couple will walk
into a Catholic Church and say, "marry us". The Catholic Church will
of course say no, and then the next step will be a lawsuit claiming
discrimination based on sex. This is where the issue lies. We can't
let those in the gay community who wish to force churches into
accepting gay marriage win.

Now those who support gay marriage argue that they don't want to
change marriage they only want to add to it. The issue here again is
that marriage is at its root a religious institution that has become
as generic as the facial tissue, "Kleenex". The problem is that many
years ago people who wanted to be together but did not want to belong
to a church went to the courthouse and got "MARRIED" The Government
decided that they were going to issue "Marriage" certificates. What
they should have done was to recognize that the State had no right in
the Marriage business. They should have issued some sort of Civil
Union Certificate from the very beginning to all people who did not
want to get joined by the Church.

It seems to me that the only answer here to make all happy is for the
government to come up with a Civil Union for all people and assign a
certificate that gives the legally binding side of the arrangement and
then allow each church to grant marriages as they see fit. This would
ease the tension for those who defend the churches right to protect
their traditional values at the same time it gives Homosexuals the
same legal rights as Heterosexuals.

I don't think anyone is pushing to force gay marriage on churches. It is the legal and societal impacts of marriage that gays seek. The legal rights as well as the legal acknowledgement and acceptance of their relationship.
This being the case, the government should assign civil unions to all couples. Let gays find a religion that will marry them.

I don't think anyone is pushing to force gay marriage on churches. It is the legal and societal impacts of marriage that gays seek. The legal rights as well as the legal acknowledgement and acceptance of their relationship.
This being the case, the government should assign civil unions to all couples. Let gays find a religion that will marry them.
What you think isn't the issue here. It is that churches feel that gay marriage is wrong and that some gays want revenge on the church. Look what faggots did in CA after prop 8. They went all-out against the Mormons. In reality the Mormon church gave no money to those groups fighting prop 8 but the fags don't let little things like facts get in their way. Fortunately their scorched Earth campaign failed to do anything and actually backfired on them.

Some of those same faggots can't wait for the chance to threaten churches that opposed them to either marry them or face lawsuits if laws are passed in favor of gay marriage across the board. The faggots are just stamping their little feet in anticipation!

Hey rightwinger, be the pussy you are and neg rep me again. I demand it! Shows how afraid you are of those that disagree with you and your fellow libtards, which makes me look good! :clap2: Come on pussy!

I know this, my wife and I love each other and we don't need some damn civil piece of paper from the government to tell us that. We don't need any tax, social security or retirement plusses to have that. You could wipe all that away and the love and the relationship is still there, just as strong and as wonderful as before.

Further, even if we take God and Churches and all Religions out of the picture, the gay deal doesn't add up biologically.

It's just another special interest group wanting to change everything, including the biology to meet their own personal needs. They claim that God, nature and science is wrong! LOL

I could careless how another gets their kicks in bed, nor do I care who they love and spend their life with, but, don't expect everything to change just for them!

oh, oh, but I forgot, they were born that way! Nature just screwed up on the body parts!

Mike

What you think isn't the issue here. It is that churches feel that gay marriage is wrong and that some gays want revenge on the church. Look what faggots did in CA after prop 8. They went all-out against the Mormons. In reality the Mormon church gave no money to those groups fighting prop 8 but the fags don't let little things like facts get in their way. Fortunately their scorched Earth campaign failed to do anything and actually backfired on them.

Some of those same faggots can't wait for the chance to threaten churches that opposed them to either marry them or face lawsuits if laws are passed in favor of gay marriage across the board. The faggots are just stamping their little feet in anticipation!

Hey rightwinger, be the pussy you are and neg rep me again. I demand it! Shows how afraid you are of those that disagree with you and your fellow libtards, which makes me look good! :clap2: Come on pussy!

Glad to ...Troll

Make a legitimate post and we can discuss

I know this, my wife and I love each other and we don't need some damn civil piece of paper from the government to tell us that. We don't need any tax, social security or retirement plusses to have that. You could wipe all that away and the love and the relationship is still there, just as strong and as wonderful as before.

Then why deny the same to others who care the same for their loved one?

Glad to ...Troll

Make a legitimate post and we can discuss
Oh look! The faggot neg repped me to show I am right! I think your head is up your ass with this whole repping thing. When you want to show that the person is right you positive rep them! But no worries, your neg reps reveal what a sad fag you are, so do it again. I demand it!

Or you could hit me with your purse. Your choice.

Face it, I handed your ass to you and you can't be a man. But you enjoy "taking it" like a man!:lol:

There are plenty of gay people who would be happy
to simply have equal treatment in all 50 states namely the ability to
share their lives with a chosen mate and to share the same privileges
and tax incentive as well.

I think most gays just want equal treatment and to have their relationship recognized by the state. They are not trying to force individuals or religions to accept them. The Catholic Church is still free to discriminate against women, gays, married people and anyone else who does not follow their doctrine

"In reality the Mormon church gave no money to those groups fighting prop 8"
Source or STFU

You didn't even read that post, did you? How can he be denying others the chance to say that they don't need state sanction to have a relationship with their loved ones? That IS what he said, you know. You just have a macro that automatically posts slogans for you so you don't have to read anything, don't you?

Every time I think you've sounded as stupid as you can possibly sound, you prove me wrong.

Source or STFU
Was your head in the ground while this was going on last year? Do your own googleing. What I said is correct, the Mormon church did not give any money to groups over prop 8. You don't like it, I can tell. Still looking for a scapegoat, are you?:lol:

Source or STFU
Was your head in the ground while this was going on last year? Do your own googleing. What I said is correct, the Mormon church did not give any money to groups over prop 8. You don't like it, I can tell. Still looking for a scapegoat, are you?:lol:

It's your damn job to back up your own damn claims, if you're really right and the answer is only a few googles away then you should have no problem backing up your claims right?

Source or STFU

Trolls don't require proof of what they say. That is why they are trolls

You didn't even read that post, did you? How can he be denying others the chance to say that they don't need state sanction to have a relationship with their loved ones? That IS what he said, you know. You just have a macro that automatically posts slogans for you so you don't have to read anything, don't you?

Every time I think you've sounded as stupid as you can possibly sound, you prove me wrong.

My apologies to immto for misinterpreting his post

Did you watch and listen to the Gays in CA during the last prop. 8 referendum. I don't think most Gays are of that mind set but I do believe many of the Gays leading the "Marriage" Charge are.

Civil UNions would give them all that, without making "Marriage" an issue.

Further, even if we take God and Churches and all Religions out of the picture, the gay deal doesn't add up biologically.

It's just another special interest group wanting to change everything, including the biology to meet their own personal needs. They claim that God, nature and science is wrong! LOL

I could careless how another gets their kicks in bed, nor do I care who they love and spend their life with, but, don't expect everything to change just for them!

oh, oh, but I forgot, they were born that way! Nature just screwed up on the body parts!

Mike

So we can assume that you did not bother to pay the money to get a legal marriage license. Cool.

Civil UNions would give them all that, without making "Marriage" an issue.

It could...but so far it does not.

Forum List

Back