Some folks can grouse about "pay for play," but Trump not among them

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.

I'm sure that everyone who doesn't have tens, hundreds or more thousands of dollars to toss at politicians don't like the idea that political access can be purchased. Why Americans feel/think political access would differ from much else is best explained, however, as either the ultimate charade of naivete (see also: naive realism) or denial. I can't say which. Maybe it's both. It's certainly not neither.

One person who is not at all deluded by the romantic notion of "government of, by and for the people" rather than "of, by and for certain people" is Donald Trump. This should be no surprise to anyone who watched last year GOP primary debates. As Andrew McCarthy writes in the National Review,

It's hard to know what is worse: Donald Trump bragging about paying off politicians, or the cheering by Republican-debate audiences when Donald Trump brags about paying off politicians.

Even if you’re not the queasy type, how nauseating to watch a crowd of people, many of whom would tell you they’re strong law-and-order conservatives, giddily applauding as a guy confesses that he’s the corrupter who makes the corruption work. “I was a businessman,” Trump smarmed at a debate earlier this year. He was being pressed about the piles of dough he has deposited in Democratic coffers through the years — for his pals the Clintons (including the Clinton Foundation), Schumer, Reid, Pelosi, Cuomo, Rahm, and the rest of the gang.

“I give to everybody. When they call, I give.” Yup, although more to the progressives, to implement the very policies he now complains are destroying the country. And why? Trump’s allocution continued: “You know what? When I need something from them, two years later, three years later, I call them, and they are there for me. . . . And that’s a broken system.”

Well, yeah, when you spend years breaking something, it tends to get broken.

Rival Rand Paul needled, “You’ve donated to several Democratic candidates. You explained away those donations saying you did that to get business-related affairs. And you said recently, quote, ‘When you give, they do whatever the hell you want them to do.’” This is the point where the guy suspected of bribery, if he can afford a lawyer (or a million lawyers!), takes the Fifth . . . or at least whines, “You’re taking my words out of context!”

Not The Donald. He grins and squeals, “You better believe it.” And the crowd eats it up. Just as they did in Iowa when he brayed, “I’ve got to give to them, because when I want something, I get it. When I call, they kiss my ass.”
Now here's the crux of the problem: Trump has stated that the patronage model is a broken model. Okay, fine. What's he going to do to change it? As with nearly every political issue, Trump is long on telling us what's wrong, and super short on ideas he'll share for how to fix it. In all this time, after all the "I'm self funding" talk that stopped being so right after he clinched the GOP nomination, and even now as he daily lambastes Mrs. Clinton over the Clinton Foundation, what specific approaches have you heard the man identify as means to fix the broken model?

Now I happen to think that Trump realized he opened his mouth too quickly during the debate. He's super rich and he all but admitted to using his wealth to buy influence. No surprise there, but what have you heard along the line of leveling the playing field as goes rich folks' ability to do that? Nothing is what I've heard of late.

Richard North Pattinson explains why.
Though the wealthy tend to be more socially liberal than the country as a whole, among the majority [of wealthy folks] social concerns do not rank high. The issues they care about most are economic and relate, sometimes intimately, to a level of affluence which sets them wholly apart. On those issues, the wealthy tend to be quite conservative — twice as likely to be Republicans as Democrats — and hold views directly at odds with popular opinion. At least within the GOP, guess who wins.

This explains the Republicans’ social dichotomy and, more broadly, its current crack-up. In order to advance an agenda of tax cuts and other benefits for the wealthy, the party’s donor classes have tacitly supported hard-right social policies and rhetoric which stokes the resentment of struggling middle class and blue-collar whites.

Thus the party follows the agenda of evangelicals and other social conservatives. In terms of money or inconvenience, this costs the rich nothing at all — after all, any daughter of wealth who wants a ready and safe abortion can get one.

Similarly, it costs them nothing for the GOP to suggest to struggling Americans that their problems originate with other people — liberals, bureaucrats, Democrats, immigrants and minorities, starting with our own president. The list of straw men is endless, and includes everyone save themselves. But on economic issues, it is the wealthy — not the mass of Americans, no matter how great their numbers or their needs — who call the tune.​

Trump's silence on the matter of campaign financing while daily ranting about the Clinton Foundation is surprising. Indeed, the Clinton Foundation issue all but begs for Trump to share his policy proposals to fix the system. But he doesn't. Why? The answer is obvious: he doesn't want to change the system. What he wants is a system where folks who are merely rich, one percenters to be sure and more than rich enough to live quite well, are prohibited from obtaining political leadership roles. You've seen his autocratic style; you know what he wants in this regard too. He wants "rule by billionaires" only.

Sidebar:
Bernie Sanders thinks the campaign finance system is broken and he proposed specific reforms. He even got them incorporated into the Democrats' platform.
  • Constitutional amendment to overturn the Supreme Court’s decisions in Citizens United and Buckley v. Valeo. [I'd settle for legislation or the Court merely reversing itself. An amendment would be nice, but do you really want to wait that long?]
  • By legislation or executive order end secret, unaccountable money in politics by requiring significantly more disclosure and transparency.
  • Implement a small donor matching public financing system to amplify the voices of the American people. [Okay, but this measure without a couple of the others listed isn't going to do a damn thing to give "Betty M. Class" any more of a voice with any given policymaker.]
  • Overhaul and strengthen the Federal Election Commission so that there is real enforcement of campaign finance laws. [This is both the simplest and hardest to achieve. Simple because all that's really needed is to remove one commissioner or add a commissioner. Hard because having an even number of commissioners benefits both parties.]
  • Eliminate super PACs.
Those are the Dems' ideas for how to solve the problem. At least one alternative is staring Trump in the face and he has yet to mention it: require major networks to provide free political airtime equal to that which they provided for free to Trump and his competitors during the 2016 primary and general election campaigns. The networks have already given all that free coverage, they even did it willfully and they still are, so there's no question that they can profitably do so again. All they need to do is reserve the time so that it's available for candidates to use for "whatever" - ads, speeches, debates, etc.-- instead of flooding us with "the talking heads."

What does that do? Well, for one thing it dramatically reduces the cost of mounting a campaign. That's a huge step in the right direction, IMO, for it means that it takes less money to be heard. That's not a bad thing, especially for "Betty."​
End of sidebar.

I'm sure that everyone who doesn't have tens, hundreds or more thousands of dollars to toss at politicians don't like the idea that political access can be purchased. Why Americans feel/think political access would differ from much else is best explained, however, as either the ultimate charade of naivete (see also: naive realism) or denial. I can't say which. Maybe it's both. It's certainly not neither.

One person who is not at all deluded by the romantic notion of "government of, by and for the people" rather than "of, by and for certain people" is Donald Trump. This should be no surprise to anyone who watched last year GOP primary debates. As Andrew McCarthy writes in the National Review,

It's hard to know what is worse: Donald Trump bragging about paying off politicians, or the cheering by Republican-debate audiences when Donald Trump brags about paying off politicians.

Even if you’re not the queasy type, how nauseating to watch a crowd of people, many of whom would tell you they’re strong law-and-order conservatives, giddily applauding as a guy confesses that he’s the corrupter who makes the corruption work. “I was a businessman,” Trump smarmed at a debate earlier this year. He was being pressed about the piles of dough he has deposited in Democratic coffers through the years — for his pals the Clintons (including the Clinton Foundation), Schumer, Reid, Pelosi, Cuomo, Rahm, and the rest of the gang.

“I give to everybody. When they call, I give.” Yup, although more to the progressives, to implement the very policies he now complains are destroying the country. And why? Trump’s allocution continued: “You know what? When I need something from them, two years later, three years later, I call them, and they are there for me. . . . And that’s a broken system.”

Rival Rand Paul needled, “You’ve donated to several Democratic candidates. You explained away those donations saying you did that to get business-related affairs. And you said recently, quote, ‘When you give, they do whatever the hell you want them to do.’” This is the point where the guy suspected of bribery, if he can afford a lawyer (or a million lawyers!), takes the Fifth . . . or at least whines, “You’re taking my words out of context!”

Not The Donald. He grins and squeals, “You better believe it.” And the crowd eats it up. Just as they did in Iowa when he brayed, “I’ve got to give to them, because when I want something, I get it. When I call, they kiss my ass.”
Now here's the crux of the problem: Trump has stated that the patronage model is a broken model. Okay, fine. What's he going to do to change it? As with nearly every political issue, Trump is long on telling us what's wrong, and super short on ideas he'll share for how to fix it. In all this time, after all the "I'm self funding" talk that stopped being so right after he clinched the GOP nomination, and even now as he daily lambastes Mrs. Clinton over the Clinton Foundation, what specific approaches have you heard the man identify as means to fix the broken model?

Now I happen to think that Trump realized he opened his mouth too quickly during the debate. He's super rich and he all but admitted to using his wealth to buy influence. No surprise there, but what have you heard along the line of leveling the playing field as goes rich folks' ability to do that? Nothing is what I've heard of late.

Though the wealthy tend to be more socially liberal than the country as a whole, among the majority [of wealthy folks] social concerns do not rank high. The issues they care about most are economic and relate, sometimes intimately, to a level of affluence which sets them wholly apart. On those issues, the wealthy tend to be quite conservative — twice as likely to be Republicans as Democrats — and hold views directly at odds with popular opinion. At least within the GOP, guess who wins.

This explains the Republicans’ social dichotomy and, more broadly, its current crack-up. In order to advance an agenda of tax cuts and other benefits for the wealthy, the party’s donor classes have tacitly supported hard-right social policies and rhetoric which stokes the resentment of struggling middle class and blue-collar whites.

Thus the party follows the agenda of evangelicals and other social conservatives. In terms of money or inconvenience, this costs the rich nothing at all — after all, any daughter of wealth who wants a ready and safe abortion can get one.

Similarly, it costs them nothing for the GOP to suggest to struggling Americans that their problems originate with other people — liberals, bureaucrats, Democrats, immigrants and minorities, starting with our own president. The list of straw men is endless, and includes everyone save themselves. But on economic issues, it is the wealthy — not the mass of Americans, no matter how great their numbers or their needs — who call the tune.​

Trump's silence on the matter of campaign financing while daily ranting about the Clinton Foundation is surprising. Indeed, the Clinton Foundation issue all but begs for Trump to share his policy proposals to fix the system. But he doesn't. Why? The answer is obvious: he doesn't want to change the system. What he wants is a system where folks who are merely rich, one percenters to be sure and more than rich enough to live quite well, are prohibited from obtaining political leadership roles. You've seen his autocratic style; you know what he wants in this regard too. He wants "rule by billionaires" only.

Sidebar:
Bernie Sanders thinks the campaign finance system is broken and he proposed specific reforms. He even got them incorporated into the Democrats' platform.
  • Constitutional amendment to overturn the Supreme Court’s decisions in Citizens United and Buckley v. Valeo. [I'd settle for legislation or the Court merely reversing itself. An amendment would be nice, but do you really want to wait that long?]
  • By legislation or executive order end secret, unaccountable money in politics by requiring significantly more disclosure and transparency.
  • Implement a small donor matching public financing system to amplify the voices of the American people. [Okay, but this measure without a couple of the others listed isn't going to do a damn thing to give "Betty M. Class" any more of a voice with any given policymaker.]
  • Overhaul and strengthen the Federal Election Commission so that there is real enforcement of campaign finance laws. [This is both the simplest and hardest to achieve. Simple because all that's really needed is to remove one commissioner or add a commissioner. Hard because having an even number of commissioners benefits both parties.]
  • Eliminate super PACs.
Those are the Dems' ideas for how to solve the problem. At least one alternative is staring Trump in the face and he has yet to mention it: require major networks to provide free political airtime equal to that which they provided for free to Trump and his competitors during the 2016 primary and general election campaigns. The networks have already given all that free coverage, they even did it willfully and they still are, so there's no question that they can profitably do so again. All they need to do is reserve the time so that it's available for candidates to use for "whatever" - ads, speeches, debates, etc.-- instead of flooding us with "the talking heads."

What does that do? Well, for one thing it dramatically reduces the cost of mounting a campaign. That's a huge step in the right direction, IMO, for it means that it takes less money to be heard. That's not a bad thing, especially for "Betty."​
End of sidebar.

You're blaming the victim. The politicians who sell access and influence are the perps, not the people who have to pay for it to run their companies.

Typical leftwing douche bag.

Your proposed solutions only serve to entrench incumbents who always get the bulk of the free media.

Sidebar:
  • Eliminate super PACs.

End of sidebar.

You're blaming the victim. The politicians who sell access and influence are the perps, not the people who have to pay for it to run their companies.

IMHO, both the payer and the payee are the perps. Both are taking part in the corruption. That is one thing that turned me off with Trump early. Also, anyone that doesn't see the Clinton's as the masters of Pay to Play on the receiving end are politically blind.

Sidebar:
  • Eliminate super PACs.

End of sidebar.

WTH are you talking about? Nobody is holding the "buyers" at gunpoint making them offer money to pols. Moreover, although blame is hardly the focus of my post, there's nothing in it suggesting that blame is unwarranted for the observers, buyers and sellers of political influence.

Sidebar:
  • Eliminate super PACs.

End of sidebar.

IMHO, both the payer and the payee are the perps. Both are taking part in the corruption. That is one thing that turned me off with Trump early. Also, anyone that doesn't see the Clinton's as the masters of Pay to Play on the receiving end are politically blind.
The payee is the only one breaking the law and selling his office for personal gain. The payer isn't harming anyone he has a fiduciary responsibility to. All this article does is try to make Trump of committing a crime, which he didn't, and being just as corrupt as Hillary, which he isn't.

Sidebar:
  • Eliminate super PACs.

End of sidebar.

IMHO, both the payer and the payee are the perps. Both are taking part in the corruption. That is one thing that turned me off with Trump early. Also, anyone that don't see the Clinton's as the masters of Pay to Play on the receiving end are politically blind.

Just as the world has many master chefs and master chess players, there are many masters of "pay to play." What distinguishes the Clintons from nearly all the rest is that Mrs. Clinton is running for President, Bill and Hillary Clinton's whole life has taken place before the public eye, and, unlike most people in power, they've laid their whole lives, financial, professional and personal out in the open for all to see. That "all" can see it is the main reason we are hearing all this "pay for play" recrimination.

You know who else is a master of "pay for play?" By his own admission, Donald Trump. However, we haven't seen his tax returns, so we don't know to what charities he donated money, or what lobbyists he paid, in order to "play." Anyone who thinks he didn't "pay and play" is, as noted in the OP, naive. The man said he did.

Sidebar:
  • Eliminate super PACs.

End of sidebar.

WTH are you talking about? Nobody is holding the "buyers" at gunpoint making them offer money to pols. Moreover, although blame is hardly the focus of my post, there's nothing in it suggesting that blame is unwarranted for the observers, buyers and sellers of political influence.
What law are the buyers breaking? Who are the buyers selling out? And, yeah, the government does hold a gun to the heads of businesses. It imposes regulations on them that cost them trillions of dollars every year.

Sidebar:
  • Eliminate super PACs.

End of sidebar.

IMHO, both the payer and the payee are the perps. Both are taking part in the corruption. That is one thing that turned me off with Trump early. Also, anyone that don't see the Clinton's as the masters of Pay to Play on the receiving end are politically blind.

Just as the world has many master chefs and master chess players, there are many masters of "pay to play." What distinguishes the Clintons from nearly all the rest is that Mrs. Clinton is running for President, Bill and Hillary Clinton's whole life has taken place before the public eye, and, unlike most people in power, they've laid their whole lives, financial, professional and personal out in the open for all to see. That "all" can see it is the main reason we are hearing all this "pay for play" recrimination.

You know who else is a master of "pay for play?" By his own admission, Donald Trump. However, we haven't seen his tax returns, so we don't know to what charities he donated money, or what lobbyists he paid, in order to "play." Anyone who thinks he didn't "pay and play" is, as noted in the OP, naive. The man said he did.
What distinguishes the Clintons is that they are the ultimate scumbags who made "pay to play" into an artform.

Trump and other businessmen are the victims of pay to play. If it wasn't for corrupt politicians, Trump wouldn't have to shell out millions of dollars to get his projects approved. He's being held up for ransom.

Sidebar:
  • Eliminate super PACs.

End of sidebar.

Yes, crony capitalism runs amok.

Sidebar:
  • Eliminate super PACs.

End of sidebar.

What distinguishes the Clintons is that they are the ultimate scumbags who made "pay to play" into an artform.

Trump and other businessmen are the victims of pay to play. If it wasn't for corrupt politicians, Trump wouldn't have to shell out millions of dollars to get his projects approved. He's being held up for ransom.
No, he is buying an edge over his competitors and the little guy. Many projects get approved without the millions of dollars in donations to the political funds.

Sidebar:
  • Eliminate super PACs.

End of sidebar.

Your proposed solutions only serve to entrench incumbents who always get the bulk of the free media.

With this logic; it is OK to buy stolen goods...

Shows your right wing morals pretty nicely...

Good point. I would imagine that briarpatty has a truck full of stolen tools. He bought them cheap and HE wasn't the one doing wrong. It was the thief he told......I mean the thief that he met at the gas station.....

Hey dude, (the thief says) I saw your Trump sticker..... I got a great deal on some tools, you want to see them? Briarpatty couldn't get his money out fast enough.

Good point. I would imagine that briarpatty has a truck full of stolen tools. He bought them cheap and HE wasn't the one doing wrong. It was the thief he told......I mean the thief that he met at the gas station.....

Hey dude, (the thief says) I saw your Trump sticker..... I got a great deal on some tools, you want to see them? Briarpatty couldn't get his money out fast enough.

But hey, he is the "victim" after all...
Some empathy please...

Sidebar:
  • Eliminate super PACs.

End of sidebar.

What law are the buyers breaking? Who are the buyers selling out? And, yeah, the government does hold a gun to the heads of businesses. It imposes regulations on them that cost them trillions of dollars every year.
You're asking me these questions, but really you should ask them of yourself and seek the answers yourself.

I may answer them later, but right now, I'm not of a mind to bother because I don't know a damn thing about you, but I know that if you are like so many other folks on the forum, it wouldn't matter if showed how both the buyer and seller are culpable because, at least for most folks on here, they only see things that appear between their blinders. Unfortunately, too many folks here simply have no interest in discovering the whole picture, to say nothing of doing so for themselves.

Forum List

Back