Some Dems to Obama... "Don't stand so close to me"

Ragnar

<--- Pic is not me
Jan 23, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Some Democrats keep distance from Obama - latimes.com

As President Obama's approval ratings sag and the mood of voters sours, some Democratic congressional candidates are distancing themselves from the White House, with the back-channel blessing of party officials.

The candidates are positioning themselves as independent voices no less frustrated with the Obama administration than people back home.

Yeah, good luck with that if you voted for Porkulous, Bailoutpalooza, Obamacare and were in favor of Tax and Trade.

Some party veterans cautioned that it is futile for Democrats to create a separate identity from that of the White House. Midterm elections are invariably a referendum on the president's performance, said former Sen. Robert Torricelli of New Jersey, who once chaired the Democrats' Senate election committee.

"Everybody is in one boat," Torricelli said in an interview. "I'd recommend correcting the course of the boat rather than swimming away from it."

Should be wake up time for the Democrat party. Some 49 Dem's are running in districts won by McCain in 2008 and that's not even taking into account the recent trend reversals in NJ, Virginia and the case of one Scott Brown. As for Torricelli, it may be one boat but he ought to be doing a lifeboat count about now, this Neotitanic may be a bit short.

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-con...ruary 8, 2010 USA Poll Release and Tables.pdf
Congressional Incumbents, Beware! Voters Divide Over 2010 Candidates

Members of the U.S. Congress face re-election this year, and they may want to listen up. Registered voters nationwide divide about whether they would support their current elected official or vote for someone else. If the 2010 election for Congress were held today, 44% say they would vote to elect someone new while 42% would like to see their congressperson stick around. 14% are unsure.

"The winds of change are still blowing around the nation. If your working address is the U.S. Capitol, you have to watch these figures closely," states Dr. Lee M. Miringoff, Director of The Marist Institute for Public Opinion.

Independents are particularly up in arms. 50% of Independents report they would vote for someone else while 34% want to support their current representative. Republicans divide with 48% saying they would oust the incumbent, and 45% reporting they don’t want a change. A majority of Democrats -- 51% -- would support their current member of Congress while 35% would choose an alternative.

Good luck folks, the only consolation is November is still a long way off. But does anyone here see Obama, Pelosi and Reid making a coarse correction before that time? I don't, not yet anyway.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvfb8GcKAWs]YouTube - Don't Stand So Close To Me - The Police[/ame]

Many Dems are racist as well.

Why do you say that?? It demonstrates political self-preservation. It can be argued if they are doing it purely for their own self interests, or to keep the party in power.

I saw racism override party many times when Obama got nominated.

"I ain't votin for no ******" was a common thing to hear in rural KY.
And I am speaking of thos who normally vote Dem.

Why do you say that?? It demonstrates political self-preservation. It can be argued if they are doing it purely for their own self interests, or to keep the party in power.

In regards to the politicians, do you think that's what is driving this exodus??

In regards to the politicians, do you think that's what is driving this exodus??

Yes, mostly. Being associated with a black person is not a good way to get votes from racists.

Rep. Dennis Cardoza (D) On unemployment/foreclosures, "The Obama administration has failed miserably in trying to solve the problem."

Cardoza's district went heavily for Obama

Rep. Jim Costa (D) "They're not listening carefully enough to the people I represent"

Costa is also from California which voted big for Obama. The article does not specify how that district went.

Sen. Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.), who is running for reelection in a state won by McCain, urged Obama to "push back against people in our own party that want extremes."

Race is not a factor. At all. Obama sucks at his job and simply was not ready for it. He could have been the next "Liberal Lion" post Kennedy or a good POTUS many years from now, instead, he will be gone in just under 3 years. Kinda sad really.

LMAO.
Obama has not fixed things in 1 year that took over a decade to create?
Even with all that bipartisan support from the right?
Pansy assed politicians.

LMAO.
Pansy assed politicians.

No one expects a one year fix but the least he could have done was to not make them so much worse.
For the first year no bipartisan support was needed given the Dems huge majorities. Still an epic fail.
You got "Pansy assed polititians" right but that goes for the lot of them.

LMAO.
Pansy assed politicians.

No one expects a one year fix but the least he could have done was to not make them so much worse.
For the first year no bipartisan support was needed given the Dems huge majorities. Still an epic fail.
You got "Pansy assed polititians" right but that goes for the lot of them.

Heck they would have gotten worse even if GWB had still been president.
But it would have been difficult for Fox to keep up the myth of how well the economy is doing.

I don't think racism has a thing to do with it.

Obamas agenda has turned many off and everyone is running for cover.

Same thing happened with Bush. No one wanted him to campaign for them either.

Self preservation plain and simple.

I agree with you about the stupid racism meme (when losing, call names) and in general your sure right about Bush and campaigns too. However, just for the record that was not the case in first reforendum on Bush in 2002.

CNN.com Election 2002
Going into the 2002 elections, President Bush campaigned hard for voters to elect a Republican Congress and he got his wish. Republicans expanded their majority in the House and regained control of the Senate. While Democrats were reeling from their congressional losses, they did win governor's races in the key presidential battleground states of Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin.

That said, in the long term people ran away from Bush also and with good reason.

Yes in the long term they ran from Bush, this is the short term for Obama though.

Aside from the racist angle, what we are seeing here is the result of the massive multi billion $ anti obama campaign by the right and their faux pundits.

Reminiscent of the antiamerican, you are either with us or for the terrorist thing.

Last edited:

Are these the SAME Dems who managed to derail Healthcare reform even with a supermajority?

Mostly, per the LA Times and the Obama adm. it's the Dems who are up for election and thus for the first time (since the 08 election) will have to be held accountable for their votes (or lack thereof).

I agree with you about the stupid racism meme (when losing, call names) and in general your sure right about Bush and campaigns too. However, just for the record that was not the case in first reforendum on Bush in 2002.

CNN.com Election 2002
Going into the 2002 elections, President Bush campaigned hard for voters to elect a Republican Congress and he got his wish. Republicans expanded their majority in the House and regained control of the Senate. While Democrats were reeling from their congressional losses, they did win governor's races in the key presidential battleground states of Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin.

That said, in the long term people ran away from Bush also and with good reason.

I was talking about the last election. Bush was poison and no one wanted him anywhere near their campaign.

Didn't make any difference though. The Reps were soundly trounced.

Think thats whats about to happen to the Dems also. Obama or no Obama.

Are these the SAME Dems who managed to derail Healthcare reform even with a supermajority?

Mostly, per the LA Times and the Obama adm. it's the Dems who are up for election and thus for the first time (since the 08 election) will have to be held accountable for their votes (or lack thereof).

I agree. I am hopeful the Republicans will receive much the same treatment as they did absolutely nothing to move our couuntry forward in 09 either.

I agree. I am hopeful the Republicans will receive much the same treatment as they did absolutely nothing to move our couuntry forward in 09 either.

Well just to be clear about my perspective, blocking health care reform (in both it's house and Senate versions) seems to be helping pols who took that stand. Everyone wants reform of some kind but very few wanted the Pelosi/Reid versions. Reid himself is in big trouble electionwise.

For example, the N.E. is back in play (bastion of racism that it is... kidding) just a short time after it was nearly written off as a republican free zone.

Poll indicates signs of a GOP resurgence in some N.E. districts - The Boston Globe
Since the 2008 election, no Republicans represent the six New England states in the US House of Representatives. But a recent WMUR Granite State poll indicates that if the election were held now, the New Hampshire GOP would probably recapture both congressional seats lost to the Democrats four years ago and retain the Senate seat Judd Gregg is relinquishing.

In the First Congressional District in the eastern part of the state, the more conservative of the state’s two congressional districts, two-term Democratic in cumbent Carol Shea-Porter, whose favorability ratings have plunged since last fall, appears to be in the most peril.

Democrats and Republicans enjoy roughly equal party registration in New Hampshire, but independents are a plurality that holds the balance of political power in the state. Shea-Porter fares poorly with self-identified independents in the WMUR poll.

There is also the Bayh retierment that the Dems are almost sure to lose even though Indiana went for Obama in 2008.

Hot Air Blog Archive Breaking: Bayh will retire; Update: Dems have four days until tomorrow to find candidate
Indiana would not have likely sent Bayh back for a third term in any event. The entry of Dan Coats into the race gave Republicans at least one strong, credible candidate (there are others either declared or interested) to challenge Bayh on his support for the Obama agenda. Bayh had recently tried to rebuild his centrist credibility, but his vote to allow ObamaCare to come to a floor vote undermined his supposed independence.

The only hope Democrats had in holding the Indiana seat was in keeping Bayh in the race. The state relies on coal energy anyway, and the upcoming cap-and-trade bill would have hammered a state already suffering more than most from the Great Recession. It usually skews conservative, and most certainly would have done so in the midterms, even with Bayh remaining in the race.
The second link goes to Ed Morrissey at Hot Air and is a partisan, though reasonable and thoughtful viewpoint.

More from that link indicate that Bayh may have really screwed the Dems by bowing out so late in the game, details and updates are there. (bit off topic though)

Forum List

Back