Some dark secrets corporations don't want us to know about.

I'm surprised about Teflon, but I remember the first time I bought a teflon-lined pan, I hated the way it made the food taste. I decided never to buy the stuff again, and I'm not sure what I did with the pan other than refused to cook anything in it. I wondered what in the world they were doing to bring out a product that made food taste like a bad chemical. I'm sure that was 40 years ago, at least. It was appealing because all the commercials claimed food would not stick to Teflon, which seemed true the time I used the pan.

On the other hand, we used teflon in quilting to affix a product called "stitch witchery" to the back of the fabric to help it stick. About 8 years into my use of it, I developed a disease called "fibromyalgia," which persisted for 17 or 18 years. For some reason, I quit using the product, although I think I may have a couple of pieces of it somewhere in my sewing souvenirs area in the house. I just hadn't thought of it as being an environmental poison. :eek:

I can't prove it caused the fibromyalgia, though, unless there is some kind of link or weakness it puts inside people to screw up their muscular neurotransmitters. I had screaming out loud pain nonstop all those years. The only relief I got was at night I could fall asleep, and while I was sleeping, I wasn't conscious of the pain until I woke up. Nothing like a seriously rude awakening every day. Nothing.

Thanks for sharing your updates, Angelo. I learned a lot of stuff in "Consumer Health," but it was not known at the time that cooking pans lined with teflon were unsafe.

Last edited:
Teflon is wonderful stuff.

"The experts at Toefco will help you figure out if Teflon is the right solution for your project. They understand the intricacies that go into selecting the right materials for projects that may have touchy consequences because of the difficult variables you are dealing with. Only an expert will be able to tell you if the combination of features offered by Teflon will create the right circumstances for what you are working on.

To learn more about PTFE industrial coating, call us at 888-912-5921 or ask an industrial coating engineer."

The Many Uses of Teflon, a.k.a., PTFE Industrial Coating

Teflon is wonderful stuff.

"The experts at Toefco will help you figure out if Teflon is the right solution for your project. They understand the intricacies that go into selecting the right materials for projects that may have touchy consequences because of the difficult variables you are dealing with. Only an expert will be able to tell you if the combination of features offered by Teflon will create the right circumstances for what you are working on.

To learn more about PTFE industrial coating, call us at 888-912-5921 or ask an industrial coating engineer."

The Many Uses of Teflon, a.k.a., PTFE Industrial Coating

A man-made compound that didn’t exist a century ago, C8 is in the blood of 99.7 percent of Americans, according to a 2007 analysis of data from the Centers for Disease Control, as well as in newborn human babies, breast milk, and umbilical cord blood. A growing group of scientists have been tracking the chemical’s spread through the environment, documenting its presence in a wide range of wildlife, including Loggerhead sea turtles, bottlenose dolphins, harbor seals, polar bears, caribou, walruses, bald eagles, lions, tigers, and arctic birds. Although DuPont no longer uses C8, fully removing the chemical from all the bodies of water and bloodstreams it pollutes is now impossible. And, because it is so chemically stable — in fact, as far as scientists can determine, it never breaks down — C8 is expected to remain on the planet well after humans are gone from it.

We know, too, from internal DuPont documents that emerged through the lawsuit, that Wamsley’s fears of being lied to are well-founded. DuPont scientists had closely studied the chemical for decades and through their own research knew about some of the dangers it posed. Yet rather than inform workers, people living near the plant, the general public, or government agencies responsible for regulating chemicals, DuPont repeatedly kept its knowledge secret.

We all used to dance in DDT at the drive in theater, a once wonderful product to kills mosquitoes.
Turns out we almost made our national symbol extinct.

Asbestos, once in everything, now considered highly toxic.

How about that leaded paint and gasoline?

Now the threat of not only C8, but synthetic micro plastics in which the polymers only get smaller and never degrading. The micro beads are in toothpaste.:eek:

Sometimes we need to recognize the dangers of the substances we create.

Forum List

Back