Some Americans will work for 25 cents an hour

That would be more than enough if the government wasnt inflating the cost of goods.

That was a little too vague. Some people work just to work, they don't need the money, they just need something to do. I know a lot of retired people who would work for a quarter, and a lot of college students who would work for that as well. It is better than working for free on an internship. I would need more info.

:eusa_eh:

That amounts to less than $520 per year. What was the IQ of these people? Were they your relatives?

My relatives? I'm just posting this weird story numbnuts. Why do you have to get pesonal?
Because I can't imagine anyone in this country that could survive on less than $520 per year. You, apparently, think it is a noble goal.

wtf?

:eusa_eh:

That amounts to less than $520 per year. What was the IQ of these people? Were they your relatives?

My relatives? I'm just posting this weird story numbnuts. Why do you have to get pesonal?
Because I can't imagine anyone in this country that could survive on less than $520 per year. You, apparently, think it is a noble goal.

wtf?

Where did I say that moron? Man, you are stupid. Grow up.

Well, I guess free market capitalistas and their retarded fucking "more competitive with foreign labor" schtick finally gets traction.

Given the fact that the global economy is getting ever flatter, we should see a declining minimum wage at some point as an effort to keep some jobs in a country. Once global wages reach a rough parity, we should see a replay of the Progressive Era and Labor Union Struggle as played out in US history. "Looking Backward" by Edward Bellamy, written around 1895, predicted a much more eqalitarian USA in the year 2000. Obviously he got it very wrong.

gosh.. I can't WAIT until Americans can make the same wage per hour as a fucking chinese sweatshop worker!

YAY!

The Real Minimum Wage - Newsweek

To find out what pay U.S. workers will really accept for an hour’s work, and how that stacks up against other countries, NEWSWEEK turned to Mechanical Turk, an online marketplace for freelance work operated by Amazon.com. In a weeks-long experiment, we posted simple, hourlong jobs (listening to audio recordings and counting instances of a specific keyword) and continually lowered our offer until we found the absolute bottom price that multiple people would accept, and then complete the task.

The results: some Americans settled for a shockingly low 25 cents an hour—while counterparts in nations like India and the Philippines expected multiples more. Of course, the results also partly reflect how many workers in each country compete for work on Amazon’s system. But even against other wired places like the U.K. and Canada, Americans desperate to earn even a pittance were the cheapest around.

That Yahoo article title is misleading.

My guess... these counterparts in India and Phillipines were doing this as a serious side job to help supplement main income, whereas the Americans who did this online stuff for .25 were either retired seniors or college kids looking for some easy weekend money.

Not a meaningful study, imo.

Forum List

Back