Somali pirates seize Danish-owned ship: US Navy

NOBama

Sep 23, 2008
DUBAI (AFP) — Somali pirates seized a Danish-owned and US-flagged ship off Somalia on Wednesday with 20 American crew on board, the US Navy and the shipowner said, in the sixth maritime hijacking in five days.

"A US-flagged Danish-owned ship was attacked at around 7:30 local time this morning, 240 nautical miles southeast of the Somali town of Eyl," Lieutenant Nathan Schaeffer, a spokesman for the navy's Bahrain-based Fifth Fleet told AFP."

Maersk shipping line said the container vessel Maersk Alabama, belonging to the US subsidiary of Maersk, "was attacked by pirates and presumed hijacked" at around 0500 GMT.

"The US-flagged vessel has a crew of 20 US nationals and is owned and operated by Maersk Line, Limited in the US," a statement added.

The vessel was en route to the Kenyan port of Mombasa when it was attacked, Maersk said. The 155-metre-long (511-foot) vessel is carrying cereals and food supplies destined for, among others, the United Nations.

MORE

Another problem for Obie to deal with.

Last edited:

How long do you think it will take us to stop negotiating with these criminals and simply killing them, even if some innocent victims are killed?

Sometimes, I wish we'd take a page from Israel, who has been dealing with this b.s. a lot longer, and does it far better.

Sometimes, I wish we'd take a page from Israel, who has been dealing with this b.s. a lot longer, and does it far better.

Israel's "strategy" is fundamentally irrational in that unwarranted attacks on civilians (whether they actually are or are merely perceived as such), have the obvious result of functioning as a recruitment tool for radical Islamic jihadist and terrorist organizations, which thereby inflames tensions and increases violent assaults. Israel's claim to speak for Jews also has the adverse effect of inflaming anti-Semitism and thereby encouraging violent attacks against Jews.

DUBAI (AFP) — Somali pirates seized a Danish-owned and US-flagged ship off Somalia on Wednesday with 20 American crew on board, the US Navy and the shipowner said, in the sixth maritime hijacking in five days.

"A US-flagged Danish-owned ship was attacked at around 7:30 local time this morning, 240 nautical miles southeast of the Somali town of Eyl," Lieutenant Nathan Schaeffer, a spokesman for the navy's Bahrain-based Fifth Fleet told AFP."

Maersk shipping line said the container vessel Maersk Alabama, belonging to the US subsidiary of Maersk, "was attacked by pirates and presumed hijacked" at around 0500 GMT.

"The US-flagged vessel has a crew of 20 US nationals and is owned and operated by Maersk Line, Limited in the US," a statement added.

The vessel was en route to the Kenyan port of Mombasa when it was attacked, Maersk said. The 155-metre-long (511-foot) vessel is carrying cereals and food supplies destined for, among others, the United Nations.

MORE

I heard the Bil Bennett show this morning, and while he was discussing the news re: the Somali pirates, a call came in from a listener who said he was a former captain of a container vessel.

He reported that the European cargo ships, as is the wont of Europeans, are unarmed and would not hear of fighting back. He then went on to relate that the Israeli cargo ships have crews that are armed and trained, and have a complete arsenal.

They are never attacked by these pirates.

When will the world learn?

How long do you think it will take us to stop negotiating with these criminals and simply killing them, even if some innocent victims are killed?

I do as well. I appreciate Obama's openness to negotiating with pirates/terrorists, however; there has to be a cut off point where it's no longer a viable option and we put to use the $500 billion defense budget we're paying our tax money for each year and bomb the hell out of these fuckers. A tactical nuclear weapon can go a long way in deterring these pirates from ever fucking with us again.

They weren't pirates before Somalia fishing waters were targeted by industrial fishing vessels.

I'm also told that Somolia has become Europes toxic ewaste dump of choice.

I suspect that part of what has changed is that former fishmen can no longer make a living because they're no completeing with Europe's industrialized fishing industry.

Anyone have a more fleshed out story about this?

I'm sort of curious what makes a people suddenly gpo rogue like this and I do not think we're getting the whole story here.

I do as well. I appreciate Obama's openness to negotiating with pirates/terrorists, however; there has to be a cut off point where it's no longer a viable option and we put to use the $500 billion defense budget we're paying our tax money for each year and bomb the hell out of these fuckers. A tactical nuclear weapon can go a long way in deterring these pirates from ever fucking with us again.

And creating ten times that number who will. :rolleyes:

Israel's "strategy" is fundamentally irrational in that unwarranted attacks on civilians (whether they actually are or are merely perceived as such), have the obvious result of functioning as a recruitment tool for radical Islamic jihadist and terrorist organizations, which thereby inflames tensions and increases violent assaults. Israel's claim to speak for Jews also has the adverse effect of inflaming anti-Semitism and thereby encouraging violent attacks against Jews.

Well, gosh, would you look at that? Some 17 year old kid thinks he knows better than a government that deals with this situation every day. Bravo, Agnes.

Well, gosh, would you look at that? Some 17 year old kid thinks he knows better than a government that deals with this situation every day. Bravo, Agnes.

What are you talking about, Davey? I'm a predator, remember? :eek:

Did you mention kids? Isn't that sending me into a crazed search for bald pussy? Or have you...shifted your position yet again? ;)

And really, your claim is such a pathetically idiotic fallacy anyway. "LOL, the government says it's right; it must be!" Try learning the difference between "is" and "ought," so that you might see the distinction between a descriptive observation and a prescriptive recommendation...

And creating ten times that number who will. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, absolutely.

Let's see here, which job would I rather do?

Something that makes me money or something that gets me killed by tactical nuclear weapons?

Oh yeah, absolutely.

Something that makes me money or something that gets me killed by tactical nuclear weapons?

No, you idiot. Overwhelming aggression of such a nature would provoke hostile reactions from large populations and strategic governments separate from mere Somali pirates.

Oh yeah, absolutely.

No, you idiot. Overwhelming aggression of such a nature would provoke hostile reactions from large populations and strategic governments separate from mere Somali pirates.

Doubtful. Most of the Somali population is either too impovrished or is already a "terrorist/pirate."

Can you cite any example of what you say actually occurring before?

They weren't pirates before Somalia fishing waters were targeted by industrial fishing vessels.

I'm also told that Somolia has become Europes toxic ewaste dump of choice.

I suspect that part of what has changed is that former fishmen can no longer make a living because they're no completeing with Europe's industrialized fishing industry.

Anyone have a more fleshed out story about this?

I'm sort of curious what makes a people suddenly gpo rogue like this and I do not think we're getting the whole story here.
I think that is an excellent question. I'd like to hear why too???

In Florida many of the locals (hook and line fishermen) we met went into drug running when the fed changed the regs that put them out of the fishing business. We heard more than just a few peoples stories down there in South Florida of how they got to running pot in their small boats since they could no longer make a living by hook and line fishing.

Oh yeah, absolutely.

Their kinda stupid beats your kinda smart, everytime, Agna.

You see, you're here to discuss issues honestly and change hearts and minds, and they're here to announce to the world what tough guys they are.

Given these cross purposes, expecting them to make sense, as you understand the meaning of that word, is largely an exercise in futility.

Doubtful. Most of the Somali population is either too impovrished or is already a "terrorist/pirate."

I'm not specifically referring to "the Somali population." My reference to "strategic governments" should have indicated that, as the Somali "government" effectively consists of fragmented factions in regional areas.

I'm referring to the consequences of perceived unjust aggression against a civilian population by a powerful state. For instance, let's consider the most obvious example: the alliance of USrael. Hatred of Israeli actions and policies by Islamic militants and the general Muslim population both in Israel and in the wider Middle East served to facilitate recruitment efforts by radical jihadist groups, and a partially religious and partially ethnic opposition to the Israeli occupation of the Temple Mount (on which the Al-Aqsa mosque is located), and other actions, provoked the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

This should be brutally obvious, of course, but some prefer to ignore reality.

I'm not specifically referring to "the Somali population." My reference to "strategic governments" should have indicated that, as the Somali "government" effectively consists of fragmented factions in regional areas.

I'm referring to the consequences of perceived unjust aggression against a civilian population by a powerful state. For instance, let's consider the most obvious example: the alliance of USrael. Hatred of Israeli actions and policies by Islamic militants and the general Muslim population both in Israel and in the wider Middle East served to facilitate recruitment efforts by radical jihadist groups, and a partially religious and partially ethnic opposition to the Israeli occupation of the Temple Mount (on which the Al-Aqsa mosque is located), and other actions, provoked the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

This should be brutally obvious, of course, but some prefer to ignore reality.

You obviously don't understand anything. I'm tired of going round and round with you. C'ya later, kid. Feel free to declare victory. Go put on your cheerleading outfit and grab your pom poms.

You obviously don't understand anything. I'm tired of going round and round with you. C'ya later, kid. Feel free to declare victory. Go put on your cheerleading outfit and grab your pom poms.

But that would be such an obvious charade...I mean me advancing logically sound arguments...you ignoring them...how could I even pretend to have won? :cool:

I heard the Bil Bennett show this morning, and while he was discussing the news re: the Somali pirates, a call came in from a listener who said he was a former captain of a container vessel.

He reported that the European cargo ships, as is the wont of Europeans, are unarmed and would not hear of fighting back. He then went on to relate that the Israeli cargo ships have crews that are armed and trained, and have a complete arsenal.

They are never attacked by these pirates.

When will the world learn?

This is the sort of Israeli response I'm talking about...especially the refusal to negotiate with hostage-takers. If you feed any sort of behavior, and people find that it has efficacy, they will repeat it. Thus, governments negotiating lump sum payments for the release of hostages actually PROVIDES AN INCENTIVE TO CRIMINAL GROUPS TO TAKE MORE HOSTAGES.

This ain't rocket science.

New Topics

Forum List

Back