Somali pirates may be part of larger world wide terrorism

Liability

Locked Account.
Jun 28, 2009
Mansion in Ravi's Head
I won't even quote the piece.

I will just offer an interesting link with this thought:

Is it possible that the Somali pirates are just a source of funding for an ugly and highly radical al qaeda spin-off type group known as al-Shabaab?

Al-Shabaab: The new Al Qaeda? - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

And if so, what are the odds of us moving our fight from Afghanistan to Somalia sometime in the not too distant future?

No I don't think that. Those Somalian pirates are doing what they do to fill their pockets and nothing more. Their money has actually been reported to going to some recent schools and buildings being built in Somalia. Also these men are rich now and some young girls have been flocking to to marry some of these pirates. I highly doubt that money is going to that rag tag team Al-Qaeda or any other terrorist group like that.

Somalia is probably the most ignored country by the UN. Somalia has been war torn and in crisis for decades and no one seems to do anything about it. the amount of Somalian refugees in this country and in Canada and UK is just a indication of how messed up Somalia is where people have been fleeing by the millions.

When I heard about these pirates i wasn't shocked. criminals run rampant there and it was only a matter of time until the criminals spilled out international.

Last edited:
No I don't think that. Those Somalian pirates are doing what they do to fill their pockets and nothing more. Their money has actually been reported to going to some recent schools and buildings being built in Somalia. Also these men are rich now and some young girls have been flocking to to marry some of these pirates. I highly doubt that money is going to that rag tag team Al-Qaeda or any other terrorist group like that.

Somalia is probably the most ignored country by the UN. Somalia has been war torn and in crisis for decades and no one seems to do anything about it. the amount of Somalian refugees in this country and in Canada and UK is just a indication of how messed up Somalia is where people have been fleeing by the millions.

When I heard about these pirates i wasn't shocked. criminals run rampant there and it was only a matter of time until the criminals spilled out international.

Some quick research reveals that many experts on terrorism and that region very much disagree with you. For instance:
The United Nations believes pirates may have earned as much as $120 million in ransom payments. And there has been rising concern among western diplomats and security analysts that a large chunk of the money is being funneled to the militant Shabab group.

It was the rise of the Shabab militia that prompted the Ethiopian military, with U.S. support, to intervene in Somalia in late 2006 and end the six-month rule of the Islamic Courts Union. Since then, the Shabab has led a two-year insurgency against the country's weak, Ethiopia-backed interim government. The group, which the United States has labeled a terrorist organization, has now regained control over most parts of southern and central Somalia.

In an alarming article published in Time magazine in December, one alleged pirate claimed that the Shabab and other Islamist insurgent groups have been extorting vast sums of money from pirates and using it to fund the insurgency. * * * *
Somali pirate money aids Al Qaeda terrorists | Spero News (NOTE, in that same piced, an interviewed pirate scoffed at the Time article, but I doubt that qualifies as a good basis to reject the conclusion. What the hell ELSE would he say?)

I have no doubt that part of the motivation for those "pirates" is the serious poverty in Somalia. But funding jihad is a way for Islamic militants to be seen in the eyes of Allah on the same plane as an actual Islamic warrior engaged in the fight.

in my opinion the somali pirates do what they do mainly to enrichen themselves but it is not beyond the realm of possibility that they pay some kind of tribute to this terrorist organization.

I won't even quote the piece.

I will just offer an interesting link with this thought:

Is it possible that the Somali pirates are just a source of funding for an ugly and highly radical al qaeda spin-off type group known as al-Shabaab?

Al-Shabaab: The new Al Qaeda? - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

And if so, what are the odds of us moving our fight from Afghanistan to Somalia sometime in the not too distant future?

Finally someone who is paying attention. Somalia is indeed a hotbed. Thanks for posting this Liability

Maybe a good message here... Can pirates read?

big-black-dog-albums-some-of-big-black-dog-s-favorite-photos-picture576-cap.jpg

A record four ships were seized in 48 hours last week off the anarchic Horn of Africa nation, meaning Somali pirates are currently holding hostage four cargo vessels, two tankers and a tug boat, along with about 130 crew members.
The spike in attacks at sea has coincided with a rise in assaults on land by radical
al-Shabaab insurgents, including the capture on Friday of Somalia's strategic southern port Kismayu.

The United States say al-Shabaab is a terrorist group with close ties to al Qaeda (see LA Times article August 25th, Al-Shabaab is Al-Qaeda). Experts say some of the businessmen and warlords who command the pirates are also funding the rebels. "The entire Somali coastline is now under control of the Islamists," Andrew Mwangura, head of the East African Seafarers' Assistance Programme, told Reuters in an interview.

"According to our information, the money they make from piracy and ransoms goes to support al-Shabaab activities onshore, said Mwangura" Piracy has been rife off Somalia since warlords overthrew dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991. Experts say at least 30 ships have been hijacked off the coast so far this year -- and the attacks have hit unprecedented levels this month.

Bill Warner Private Investigator Sarasota Fl Since 1995: Piracy ransoms funding Somalia insurgency, Al-Shabaab "Pirates" terror group behind recent 4 ships seized in 48 hours, Video.

It is worn torn because shariah law has won over, and they are fighting against anyone and anything that is not the ummah.

Stop ignoring the facts people
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFpVER4QBtY&feature=related"]YouTube - Al-Shabab Al-Mujahideen of Somalia [1429 H. (2008)] Part 1[/ame]

The new AQ indeed

Al-Shabab not only have succeeded in expanding the areas that fall under their rule but they have succeeded in implementing the sharia and giving us a living example of how we as Muslims should proceed to change our situation. But their success depends on your support. It is the responsibility of the ummah to help them with men and money.
Al-Shabab have already started a program of enforcement of law that would bring peace and security to the people. They are also applying hudud and fighting against innovations that have been around for centuries. We ask Allah to grant them success.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFpVER4QBtY&feature=related"]YouTube - Al-Shabab Al-Mujahideen of Somalia [1429 H. (2008)] Part 1[/ame]

What nation (purportedly NOT the actual birthplace of a certain current President of the United States of America) directly borders Somalia?

Coincidence?

You all will have to be the judge!

:eusa_whistle:

Yes your correct they are part of a world wide conspiracy, one with members such as the CIA/MI5/Mossad etc. pirates and their puppeteers. The perps stiring up grief for more war and more profit will use anyone pirate or president to make a buck.

What nation (purportedly NOT the actual birthplace of a certain current President of the United States of America) directly borders Somalia?

Coincidence?

You all will have to be the judge!

:eusa_whistle:

Somali Ditto-Heads you mean.

What GOP Hate-Run Media radio jock do they listen to and take orders from?
What GOP America hater was greatly upset with Obama for killing his teenage Ditto-Head minions before they could up their ransom demands for Captain Phillips as he ordered?

Coincidence?

You all will have to be the judge! :eusa_whistle:

November 25, 2008
RUSH: AP, you have to love the headline: "Pirate Economy Thriving." (laughing) What, should we all join the Somali pirates? Somali pirates, by the way, hijacked another ship, folks, a Yemeni ship. They were mad that they were aced out in the Citibank bailout. They wanted to join Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, being investor in Citibank and they didn't get a chance. They've done everything they can to cooperate. They started out with a $10 million ransom on the $100 million dollars of oil they hijacked from the Saudis. Then they heard me make fun of them so they upped their ransom

January 09, 2009
RUSH: Somali pirates. These guys are actually terrorists, but just for the sake of this discussion, do you remember when they hijacked that huge Saudi Arabian supertanker? It was the biggest ship hijacking in the world, something like a hundred million dollars worth of oil in there. Remember what their original ransom was? What was it? What was their original ransom? Their original ransom demand, I think, was in the five to seven million dollar range, and I chastised 'em. I said, "Come on! You gotta go for at least 10%. You got a hundred million dollars worth of oil." They upped it to ten million. Remember?

January 12, 2009
RUSH: How about these poor Somali pirates? One of the funniest things I have ever seen. They start out, they hijacked this hundred-million-dollar ship, a hundred million dollars worth of oil from Saudi Arabia, and they demand a ransom that's not nearly high enough, I think it was five or seven million bucks. We on this program urged them to up the ransom price to at least 15 million. They settled on 10

April 10, 2009
RUSH: By the way, I am shocked, and I'm a little angry. I just read that the Somali marine organizers, the merchant marine organizers have now placed a bounty on the head, or a price on the head of the captain of the US vessel that they are holding hostage. They are demanding $2 million for the release of Captain Phillips. I'm looking at that and I'm saying, "What is it with you people? You extort $15 million from the Saudis, you get five or six million from the Filipinos, our captain's only worth two?"

April 14, 2009
RUSH: You know what we have learned about the Somali pirates, the merchant marine organizers that were wiped out at the order of Barack Obama, you know what we learned about them? They were teenagers. The Somali pirates, the merchant marine organizers who took a US merchant captain hostage for five days were inexperienced youths, the defense secretary, Roberts Gates, said yesterday, adding that the hijackers were between 17 and 19 years old. Now, just imagine the hue and cry had a Republican president ordered the shooting of black teenagers on the high seas. Greetings and welcome back, Rush Limbaugh, the Excellence in Broadcasting Network and the Limbaugh Institute for Advanced Conservative Studies.

They were kids. The story is out, I don't know if it's true or not, but apparently the hijackers, these kids, the merchant marine organizers, Muslim kids, were upset, they wanted to just give the captain back and head home because they were running out of food, they were running out of fuel, they were surrounded by all these US Navy ships, big ships, and they just wanted out of there. That's the story, but then when one of them put a gun to the back of the captain, Mr. Phillips, then bam, bam, bam. There you have it, and three teenagers shot on the high seas at the order of President Obama.

Dittoheads! -- SQUAWK!!!

Dittoheads! -- SQUAWK!!!

That's ^ all EdTheLyingMoron ever really has to say.

EdTheLyingMassiveMoron has a fixation on all things Rush!

:lol::lol:

Ed gets a boner just thinking of Rush Limbaugh.

You're "PROJECTING" again. :lol: (Pun intended)

And the only fixation I have is making you Ditto-Nazis eat your MessiahRushie's words. :rofl:

Dittoheads! -- SQUAWK!!!

Dittoheads! -- SQUAWK!!!

And the only fixation I have is making you Ditto-Nazis eat your MessiahRushie's words. :rofl:

Except, as I have told you many times, I'm not a dittohead.

You ARE, however, and are destined to forever remain a lying moron.

and you are indeed fixated on Rush. You masturbate to his image. You're in love with Rush Limbaugh.

I think that's so cute.

:clap2:

Dittoheads! -- SQUAWK!!!

Dittoheads! -- SQUAWK!!!

and you are indeed fixated on Rush. You masturbate to his image. You're in love with Rush Limbaugh.

I think that's so cute.

Only a MINDLESS Ditto-Nazi would defend LimpBoy as religiously and FEEBLY and with nothing but insults like you do.

I think that's so cute.

Only a MINDLESS Ditto-Nazi would defend LimpBoy as religiously and FEEBLY and with nothing but insults like you do.

Except, again, I am not a dittohead and POINTING out that you lie constantly and that you are a moron is not even remotely akin to "defending" Rush.

He needs no defending and most certainly not from the lunatic drooling spew you :cuckoo: offer.

You've got nothing, you never did have anything and

it shows.

It is worn torn because shariah law has won over, and they are fighting against anyone and anything that is not the ummah.

Stop ignoring the facts people
YouTube - Al-Shabab Al-Mujahideen of Somalia [1429 H. (2008)] Part 1

The new AQ indeed

Al-Shabab not only have succeeded in expanding the areas that fall under their rule but they have succeeded in implementing the sharia and giving us a living example of how we as Muslims should proceed to change our situation. But their success depends on your support. It is the responsibility of the ummah to help them with men and money.
Al-Shabab have already started a program of enforcement of law that would bring peace and security to the people. They are also applying hudud and fighting against innovations that have been around for centuries. We ask Allah to grant them success.

Oh yes shairah is what tore up the country. Somalians kill each other and they are all Muslim. it has nothing to do with Islam. It's a bunch of tribalism in Somalia. They just use the banner of Islam to justify their horrible actions. It always has been like that. before Al-Qaida and Al-shabaab even came about.

I'm not denying that terrorist groups in Somalia have contributed to the crisis in Somalia. But the fact of the matter is Somlia has been unstable and ignored country for quite sometime which is why it was easy for the country to be take over by extremist groups like Al-Qaida and Al-Shabaab.

Last edited:

I think that's so cute.

Except, again, I am not a dittohead and POINTING out that you lie constantly and that you are a moron is not even remotely akin to "defending" Rush.

He needs no defending and most certainly not from the lunatic drooling spew you :cuckoo: offer.

it shows.

Keep those insults coming like a typical Ditto-Nazi. :rofl:

it shows.

Keep those insults coming like a typical Ditto-Nazi. :rofl:

Keep those moronic lies coming like the lying moron you are.

(You know, in a way, it's only an "insult" if it isn't true. And since you are a compulsive liar, overtly hostile to the truth, and really amazingly stupid, there's nothing untrue at all in accurately labeling you as the lying moron you are.)

That Al Queda and other terrorist groups would fund and supply the Somali pirates with weopons makes good sense. I am sure that they demanded a strong quid pro quo in the form of a major per centage of the ransoms.

Forum List

Back