solving the social security &medicare deficits

fed425

Rookie
Dec 11, 2010
here is a suggestion for solving the money problems for social security and medicare. we all know that the postal service charges for mail and post cards and the telephone companies chage for calls so why are e-mails free? i propose a 1/1000 of a cent .001 = 1000 for a penny government fee on all sent e-mails to be used soley for medicare and social security. the carriers would collect the money from bill paymentsand send the money to restricted accounts only for social security and medicare. amounts less than one dollar would not be billed until the amount exceeded one dollar. consiering the fact that more than 250billion e-mails are sent daily this could be a very big amount and would have very little effect on average users. also the law authorizing this would not be able to be increased for 10 years.as anextra bonus some of the spammers would think twice about sending out their junk.

If we can tax ALL e-mails, not just those whose origination and destination points are in the US, I like it!

Bad idea - once government gets a penny in tax they will keep on increasing it - and there's the possibility that states will jump on the bandwagon as well. Best not to suggest any kind of tax to the government - they can dream up enough stuff as it is.

Which bit of 'Taxed Enough Alreadys' is above your pay-grade? Do you even have a pay grade? Are you a welfare recipient who's worried that the cash cow might dry up?

How would they even collect it? I could email anonymously all day long, not even the USG has the resources to track down EVERY email and make sure the sender is taxed. Well, they do have the resources if they chose to do so, but it would be a net loss proposition.

Forum List

Back