Solstice is coming!

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
This is the darkest time of the year, but on Solstice, we begin to return to the light.

Remember, whatever darkness befalls you this year, that it's temporary.

This is the darkest time of the year, but on Solstice, we begin to return to the light.

unless you are murdered or someone in your family is murdered

Just saying in light of the thread we are in.

December 23rd right?
EDIT: You're right, it's the 22nd.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Banned
A friend of mine just sent me an invitation to an event she's sponsoring. It's on my mind.

The winter solstice lasts only a moment in time. Other terms are used for the day on which it occurs, such as midwinter, the longest night or the first day of winter.

• Banned

unless you are murdered or someone in your family is murdered

Just saying in light of the thread we are in.

Wow. You needed to bring that topic into this thread too.

• Banned
Winter Solstice has been celebrated in cultures the world over for thousands of years. This start of the solar year is a celebration of Light and the rebirth of the Sun. In old Europe, it was known as Yule, from the Norse, Jul, meaning wheel.

Today, many people in Western-based cultures refer to this holiday as "Christmas." Yet a look into its origins of Christmas reveals its Pagan roots.
Guide to Pagan Holidays

Winter Solstice has been celebrated in cultures the world over for thousands of years. This start of the solar year is a celebration of Light and the rebirth of the Sun. In old Europe, it was known as Yule, from the Norse, Jul, meaning wheel.

Today, many people in Western-based cultures refer to this holiday as "Christmas." Yet a look into its origins of Christmas reveals its Pagan roots.
Guide to Pagan Holidays

What comes to my mind is " there is a time for all seasons". Each have their place and purpose. None are superior to another. Enjoy each cuz you are still alive or not.

Guide to Pagan Holidays

What comes to my mind is " there is a time for all seasons". Each have their place and purpose. None are superior to another. Enjoy each cuz you are still alive or not.

Like this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA2IYnGRYac]The Byrds Turn! Turn! Turn! to Everything There is a Season folk rock band - YouTube[/ame]

Guide to Pagan Holidays

Like this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA2IYnGRYac]The Byrds Turn! Turn! Turn! to Everything There is a Season folk rock band - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, like those profound philosophers, The Byrds.

Guide to Pagan Holidays

Just about every Holiday has Pagan origins. The most glaring, blatant and obvious being Halloween. I never quite understood how so many self-professed Christians get so caught up in Halloween and its celebration. It's as if they totally missed the boat.

Paganism and Christianity are polar opposites, yet today, many people bring them and enjoy them both hand and hand. Most do it ignorantly, some kinda have a feeling, and even fewer do it still despite knowing the truth.

Knowledge is power. Know better, do better.

No, people don't do it ignorantly. It's just when little pissants like you learn about it, you assume everyone else is as stupid as you are, and you feel compelled to continually point out the obvious, as if it's some sort of "news" to the rest of the world, just as it was "news" to you.

Paganism is ancient. Yes we celebrate major holidays on what were once pagan observance days. Who cares? What's wrong with Christians observing solstice and celebrating the birth of Christ? Solstice is a natural event that is guided by the hand of God. Big whoop.

Personally, I love the long nights of winter. And I'm a Baptist who celebrates halloween (though the history of that particular holiday is a little garbled...it might actually be originally a Christian celebration...with pagan overtones. Honestly, it's a 20th century tradition more than anything) and Easter and Christmas and embraces all the pagan symbolism...without attaching any superstition to it. We have a "dressing of the greens" celebration in our church...and I hide eggs on Easter. HORRORS!

DAMN you inconstantly tilting earth!

You lull me into a false sense of well being every summer with your long glorious hot days and warm nights, then you pull the solar rug out from under us and grant us days so short that we go to work in the dark and come home in the dark.

And don't EVEN get me started on that most inconstant of all orbs, the MOON.

First there all that dramtic lunar waxing and waning, then there's the whole problem of the moon not playing along with our 12 month solar cycle, which means that there's 13 month according to the lunar calendar.

Who designed this inconsistent system, anyway?

The solar year and lunar year aren't even changing on a easy math decimal system for goodness sakes.

Had Napoleon and the FRENCH devised our solar system, we'd have the sun and moon working in ccollaboration with days and weeks easily divisible by units of ten.

I'm pretty sure that Sky doesn't have the power to mess up the solstice.

I could be wrong, of course, but that's just my gut feeling...

No, people don't do it ignorantly. It's just when little pissants like you learn about it, you assume everyone else is as stupid as you are, and you feel compelled to continually point out the obvious, as if it's some sort of "news" to the rest of the world, just as it was "news" to you.

Paganism is ancient. Yes we celebrate major holidays on what were once pagan observance days. Who cares? What's wrong with Christians observing solstice and celebrating the birth of Christ? Solstice is a natural event that is guided by the hand of God. Big whoop.

Personally, I love the long nights of winter. And I'm a Baptist who celebrates halloween (though the history of that particular holiday is a little garbled...it might actually be originally a Christian celebration...with pagan overtones. Honestly, it's a 20th century tradition more than anything) and Easter and Christmas and embraces all the pagan symbolism...without attaching any superstition to it. We have a "dressing of the greens" celebration in our church...and I hide eggs on Easter. HORRORS!
I've known about this from early childhood. I'm 35 now and I've never celebrated Halloween in my life, neither me nor my family. Joshua 24:15 NIV

Apparently, you fall into the category of those who willingly and consciously do it, most probably due to habit and/or culture.

Again, the Biblical Christian and Paganism are polar opposites. You will most likely continue to rationalize it how you wish, e.g. "we're just celebrating the birth of Christ, etc., etc.", however, the twain should never mix. Matthew 6:24 KJV

Blessings.

Last edited:
this is what i mean....the fussing begins....come on this is the holiday season..

these last two months are spread out with the big 3 and then the little ones.....the solstice is a time of peace and renewal.....as we look forward to the coming spring....it does end the darkness of the day but not the darkness of the soul...i do not claim that....

but for the last few years....this board has allowed all faiths to celebrate whatever they want without much conflict...i hope that continues

Forum List

Back