soldiers reporting sexual assaults labeled unfit

Discussion in 'Military' started by strollingbones, Apr 17, 2012.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,849
    CNN) -- Stephanie Schroeder joined the U.S. Marine Corps not long after 9/11. She was a 21-year-old with an associate's degree when she reported for boot camp at Parris Island, South Carolina.

"I felt like it was the right thing to do," Schroeder recalls.

A year and a half later, the Marines diagnosed her with a personality disorder and deemed her psychologically unfit for the Corps.

Anna Moore enlisted in the Army after 9/11 and planned to make a career of it. Moore was a Patriot missile battery operator in Germany when she was diagnosed with a personality disorder and dismissed from the Army.

Jenny McClendon was serving as a sonar operator on a Navy destroyer when she received her personality disorder diagnosis.

These women joined different branches of the military but they share a common experience:

Each received the psychiatric diagnosis and military discharge after reporting a sexual assault.

"I'm not crazy," says Schroeder, who is married now, with two daughters. "I am actually relatively normal."

McClendon says she had a similar reaction.

"I remember thinking this is absurd; this is ridiculous. How could I be emotionally unstable? I'm very clear of mind, especially considering what had happened." McClendon says. "It was a ludicrous diagnosis."

Rape victims say military labels them 'crazy' - CNN.com

very long article but excellent read on how women in the military are being raped and then deemed unfit for service when they report the assault.

2. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    "Clear of mind" and volunteering in wartime ?
    Well. One thing is a given. She B uh murkin !

3. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,099
    U.S. News - Panetta: Could be 19,000 military sex assaults each year

I support and respect the troops just as much as the next person but this is not how hero's act. But watch the ex military people on USMB jump down my throat for calling the military out on this. Not cool guys. Doesn't make soldiers look good at all.

"It is an affront to the basic American values we defend and it is a stain on the good honor of the great majority of our troops and our families," said Panetta during a press conference at the Pentagon.

Happening way too often.

Under the new measures, service members who file sexual abuse charges can immediately transfer to a new unit or base to avoid harassment or contact with the accused attacker.

The proposals require congressional approval.

Bet the GOP shoots this down.

4. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,443
    If a soldier, male or female, allows themselves to be raped.

Then they really aren't much of a soldier in the first place.

And are too mentally and physically weak to be in the military.

We expect soldiers to be trained to fight the enemy in combat to the death if necessary.

But if they can't even fight off a guy with nothing but an erection.

What makes you think they could overcome an enemy soldier who has a bayonet in hand to hand combat and is trying to kil them? :doubt:

5. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    A well trained male soldier could be held down and raped by a well trained male soldier who just happened to be stronger.

6. asaratis

asaratis Uppity Senior Citizen Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,469
    That is the silliest thing I have read from you. Come now, Sunni Man. You are smarter than that.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Whoa Sunni :confused: I don't think anyone would allow themselves to be raped, men are stronger than women even if we are the same size and especially if there is more than 1 male subduing her theres really not much she can do unless shes a bad ass MMA fighter or something, rape is cruel and wicked and I don't wish it on my worst enemy.

8. Bigfoot

Bigfoot NRA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Wow, just wow. :cuckoo:

9. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,854
    NDAA addresses sexual violence in military...
    :clap2:
    Congress taking aim at military sexual assaults
    February 24, 2013 WASHINGTON — As the military struggles to eliminate its sexual assault epidemic, Congress has included a record number of provisions in this year’s National Defense Authorization Act that address sexual violence.

10. Lumpy 1

Lumpy 1 Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,840
    I'm thinking you officially stepped in it here....sheesh

I spent some time on an Army Base with my son..These young folks are generally great and quite impressive individuals.

Consider their situation, long hours & low pay, benefits constantly being cut, their subject to the whims of their leadership, under constant rules and regulation, they live with the potential of putting their lives on the line.....etc

When there's time off their ready to blow off some serious steam. Their young, hormones bouncing off the walls, serious alcohol consumption, loud music, serious video game playing and their in great physical condition and enjoy testing it out (male & female)

Mix all that together and......

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2