soldiers reporting sexual assaults labeled unfit

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
CNN) -- Stephanie Schroeder joined the U.S. Marine Corps not long after 9/11. She was a 21-year-old with an associate's degree when she reported for boot camp at Parris Island, South Carolina.

"I felt like it was the right thing to do," Schroeder recalls.

A year and a half later, the Marines diagnosed her with a personality disorder and deemed her psychologically unfit for the Corps.

Anna Moore enlisted in the Army after 9/11 and planned to make a career of it. Moore was a Patriot missile battery operator in Germany when she was diagnosed with a personality disorder and dismissed from the Army.

Jenny McClendon was serving as a sonar operator on a Navy destroyer when she received her personality disorder diagnosis.

These women joined different branches of the military but they share a common experience:

Each received the psychiatric diagnosis and military discharge after reporting a sexual assault.

"I'm not crazy," says Schroeder, who is married now, with two daughters. "I am actually relatively normal."

McClendon says she had a similar reaction.

"I remember thinking this is absurd; this is ridiculous. How could I be emotionally unstable? I'm very clear of mind, especially considering what had happened." McClendon says. "It was a ludicrous diagnosis."

Rape victims say military labels them 'crazy' - CNN.com

very long article but excellent read on how women in the military are being raped and then deemed unfit for service when they report the assault.

CNN) -- Stephanie Schroeder joined the U.S. Marine Corps not long after 9/11. She was a 21-year-old with an associate's degree when she reported for boot camp at Parris Island, South Carolina.

"I felt like it was the right thing to do," Schroeder recalls.

A year and a half later, the Marines diagnosed her with a personality disorder and deemed her psychologically unfit for the Corps.

Anna Moore enlisted in the Army after 9/11 and planned to make a career of it. Moore was a Patriot missile battery operator in Germany when she was diagnosed with a personality disorder and dismissed from the Army.

Jenny McClendon was serving as a sonar operator on a Navy destroyer when she received her personality disorder diagnosis.

These women joined different branches of the military but they share a common experience:

Each received the psychiatric diagnosis and military discharge after reporting a sexual assault.

"I'm not crazy," says Schroeder, who is married now, with two daughters. "I am actually relatively normal."

McClendon says she had a similar reaction.

"I remember thinking this is absurd; this is ridiculous. How could I be emotionally unstable? I'm very clear of mind, especially considering what had happened." McClendon says. "It was a ludicrous diagnosis."

Rape victims say military labels them 'crazy' - CNN.com

very long article but excellent read on how women in the military are being raped and then deemed unfit for service when they report the assault.

U.S. News - Panetta: Could be 19,000 military sex assaults each year

I support and respect the troops just as much as the next person but this is not how hero's act. But watch the ex military people on USMB jump down my throat for calling the military out on this. Not cool guys. Doesn't make soldiers look good at all.

"It is an affront to the basic American values we defend and it is a stain on the good honor of the great majority of our troops and our families," said Panetta during a press conference at the Pentagon.

Happening way too often.

Under the new measures, service members who file sexual abuse charges can immediately transfer to a new unit or base to avoid harassment or contact with the accused attacker.

The proposals require congressional approval.

Bet the GOP shoots this down.

If a soldier, male or female, allows themselves to be raped.

Then they really aren't much of a soldier in the first place.

And are too mentally and physically weak to be in the military.

We expect soldiers to be trained to fight the enemy in combat to the death if necessary.

But if they can't even fight off a guy with nothing but an erection.

What makes you think they could overcome an enemy soldier who has a bayonet in hand to hand combat and is trying to kil them? :doubt:

We expect soldiers to be trained to fight the enemy in combat to the death if necessary.

What makes you think they could overcome an enemy soldier who has a bayonet in hand to hand combat and is trying to kil them? :doubt:

A well trained male soldier could be held down and raped by a well trained male soldier who just happened to be stronger.

That is the silliest thing I have read from you. Come now, Sunni Man. You are smarter than that.

Whoa Sunni :confused: I don't think anyone would allow themselves to be raped, men are stronger than women even if we are the same size and especially if there is more than 1 male subduing her theres really not much she can do unless shes a bad ass MMA fighter or something, rape is cruel and wicked and I don't wish it on my worst enemy.

Wow, just wow. :cuckoo:

NDAA addresses sexual violence in military...
:clap2:
Congress taking aim at military sexual assaults
February 24, 2013 WASHINGTON — As the military struggles to eliminate its sexual assault epidemic, Congress has included a record number of provisions in this year’s National Defense Authorization Act that address sexual violence.
In 2011, 3,192 incidents of sexual assault were reported in the military. Yet, according to the Department of Defense, this figure may significantly underestimate the actual number of sexual assaults, which may be closer to 19,000 annually. The NDAA, signed into law by President Barack Obama on Jan. 2, lays out Congress’ defense requirements for the year. Provisions this year included 19 that deal with military sexual assault. Advocates say one of the biggest victories was the creation of an independent review panel that will closely examine the way the Defense Department investigates and prosecutes sexual assault cases.

The five-person review board, composed of civilians, will examine sexual assault cases and make reports and recommendations on how the military should prosecute these crimes. The precedent-setting move is significant because it allows judicial review of the Uniform Code of Military Justice by civilians. Although the military has a similar oversight panel, the Joint Services Committee is made up of legal experts from within each branch of the armed forces. “Its job is not to reform the UCMJ but to make sure that it stays constitutional,” said Greg Jacob, policy director for Service Women’s Action Network, a New York City women veterans’ rights advocacy group.

The Secretary of Defense would appoint private citizens to the panel, who would have expertise in the prosecution of sexual assault in both military and civilian law. It would meet every six months and look at individual cases and provide feedback on how the cases are prosecuted. “It’s a great idea,” Jacob said, “because of the insular nature of military law, it’s always a good idea to bring the light of day to it.” The panel will also examine how the military’s laws and justice system reflect current legal thought and theory. The UCMJ’s last major overhaul was in the 1980s, when it was rewritten to incorporate federal rules of evidence, he said. “Some kind of reform — some kind of regular examination — is definitely warranted because it’s a closed system.”

But unless the panel’s recommendations are championed by Congress and the Pentagon from the top ranks down, the panel could exist as “a paper tiger,” Jacob said, unable to affect real change. A systematic, militarywide approach to implementing the NDAA changes has several congressional champions, including Rep. Niki Tsongas, D-Mass., Rep. Mike Turner, R-Ohio, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., and Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine. “There are too many victims that come forward and have felt revictimized,” said Turner, who has called for better protection for victims and prevention of military sexual assaults. “We need to treat sexual assault in the military like the crime it is.”

MORE

I'm thinking you officially stepped in it here....sheesh

I spent some time on an Army Base with my son..These young folks are generally great and quite impressive individuals.

Consider their situation, long hours & low pay, benefits constantly being cut, their subject to the whims of their leadership, under constant rules and regulation, they live with the potential of putting their lives on the line.....etc

When there's time off their ready to blow off some serious steam. Their young, hormones bouncing off the walls, serious alcohol consumption, loud music, serious video game playing and their in great physical condition and enjoy testing it out (male & female)

Mix all that together and......

Forum List

Back