Soldiers moved to boarder

ekrem

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2005
Turkey moves troops to the border with Iran and Iraq.
Many convoys of armored vehicles and soldiers are directed towards the Iraqi border to the town of Derecik. 12 KM from Iraqi boarder and 7 KM from Iran boarder.
Mobilization.

For the first time since 1998, the commando brigades of Bolu, Kayseri and Hakkari are joined together. Howitzers, Helicopters are also sent.
For the first time since almost invasion of Syria in 1998, commandos of Bolu, Kayseri and Hakkari have come together. May God help them all.

:tank:

http://www.nethaber.com/?h=50945
http://haber.mynet.com/detail_news/...ne&ref=haberHome&id=A00E0DC8&date=06Nisan2006

In next days we will see if USA is striking Iran or this is a message or the beginning of giving respond to terrorists who say:
(....)The Kurdistan Freedom Falcons, a small militant group, also said the bomb attack was "a warning" and vowed that it would "turn Turkey into hell"(...)
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1143498777206&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

6. April 2006
KKK General Büyükanit: We will punish all terrorists with heart and blood wherever they are.
http://www.millethaber.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11087&Itemid=31

Proud is whoever says "I am a Turk" ----- "Ne mutlu türküm" diyene

canavar said:
Turkey moves troops to the border with Iran and Iraq.
Many convoys of armored vehicles and soldiers are directed towards the Iraqi border to the town of Derecik. 12 KM from Iraqi boarder and 7 KM from Iran boarder.
Mobilization.

For the first time since 1998, the commando brigades of Bolu, Kayseri and Hakkari are joined together. Howitzers, Helicopters are also sent.
For the first time since almost invasion of Syria in 1998, commandos of Bolu, Kayseri and Hakkari have come together. May God help them all.

:tank:

http://www.nethaber.com/?h=50945
http://haber.mynet.com/detail_news/...ne&ref=haberHome&id=A00E0DC8&date=06Nisan2006

In next days we will see if USA is striking Iran or this is a message or the beginning of giving respond to terrorists who say:

6. April 2006
KKK General Büyükanit: We will punish all terrorists with heart and blood wherever they are.
http://www.millethaber.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11087&Itemid=31

Proud is whoever says "I am a Turk" ----- "Ne mutlu türküm" diyene

So how does this affect anything?

1st, 2nd, 3rd commando brigades are not common soldiers.
They are special forces.

The 1st Commando Brigade is based out of Kayseri, Turkey. .... This brigade earned itself the "Distinguished Courage Medal of the Turkish Armed Forces", the second time it has done so since 1974.

The 2nd Commando Brigade is based out of Bolu, Turkey. They also were deployed to the South Eastern Anatolia region to fight terrorism. In addition to the 1st Brigade, they were awarded the "Distinguished Courage Medal of the Turkish Armed Forces" as well for their efforts. Members of the Bolu BRigade were also deployed into Iraq in early 1999 during raids the Turkish military claimed were conducted against members of the PKK (Kurdistan Workers' Party).
http://www.specwarnet.com/europe/turkish.htm

Also used in Cyprus "Attila operation" 1974 and almost used against Syria in 1998.
Hakkari, Bolu and especially Kayseri comando brigates are real legends in Turkish army.

The spearhead when talk-time seems to be over.

Good-night.

canavar said:
1st, 2nd, 3rd commando brigades are not common soldiers.
They are special forces.

http://www.specwarnet.com/europe/turkish.htm

Also used in Cyprus "Attila operation" 1974 and almost used against Syria in 1998.
Hakkari, Bolu and especially Kayseri comando brigates are real legends in Turkish army.

The spearhead when talk-time seems to be over.

Good-night.

Again ... this means WHAT? Is somebody supposed to be worried about this?

Y'know, y'all thought Saddam's army was something else too, and maybe by Middle Eastern standards it was.

We destroyed it twice in less than two weeks each time. So WHAT's your point?

I agree with Gunny. I dont see the significance of moving troops to borders. Maybe Turkey is concerned about terrorists flocking to their country? Maybe they are concerned about illegal immigration? I dont see it. By the way, we put troops in UK and Germany and South Korea and elsewhere every year and it doesnt mean anything in terms of strategic positioning.

Semper Fi said:
I agree with Gunny. I dont see the significance of moving troops to borders. Maybe Turkey is concerned about terrorists flocking to their country? Maybe they are concerned about illegal immigration? I dont see it. By the way, we put troops in UK and Germany and South Korea and elsewhere every year and it doesnt mean anything in terms of strategic positioning.

Canavar is a an ultranationalist Turk. He thinks the Turkish commandoes are something special and to be feared.

Turkey is rattling its saber. I'm just not sure at WHO.

Semper Fi said:
Yeah, exactly. Terrorism? Mexican immigrants? Gays?

Pregnant women who know their childbirth pain will be worse than the pain from walking/running on a broken leg.

Actually, moving those troops to the border is a good strategic move. Give those whackos in Iran something to think about for sure. It would seem to me that the Turks would be somewhat concerned if Iran got nukes.

GunnyL said:
Canavar is a an ultranationalist Turk. He thinks the Turkish commandoes are something special and to be feared.

Turkey is rattling its saber. I'm just not sure at WHO.

There are some 50.000 commandos in the land forces. These include conscripts selected on a
voluntary basis on account of their good physical qualities and possible skills. The commandos
make up about four brigades. The first Commando brigade, which has two units with parachutists,
is stationed in Kayseri, the Second in Bolu, the Third in Midyat (Mardin province) and the Fourth
or Mountain Commando Brigade in Hakkari
http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/home/opendoc.pdf?tbl=RSDCOI&id=3c1622484

I think when Turkey moves 3 commando brigades of about 37.000 special forces to the boarder it is not a routine act.

The 2nd Turkish Army consisting of 150.000 soldiers together with the headquaters of the second Tactical Air Force Command in Diyarbakir which has the responsibility of three airbases in this boarder region is also there.

TheMiddleEast.gif

Thanks for the maps. Sure looks like a great strategic and tactical position to me. Just speculation on my part, but that move sure looks like a good one for Turkey as well as those worried about Iran (among other things).

I understand now. Yeah, seems good to me. If the Turks have as much fighting vigor as the Israelis have had in the past, it won't be a contest (provided that the US, NATO, and Israel are included.)

There has never been any question about the 'vigor' or any other aspect of Turkish ground forces. It will be interesting to watch as things develop over the next few weeks. Hopefully our man in Turkey will keep us abreast of this situation.

CSM said:
Thanks for the maps. Sure looks like a great strategic and tactical position to me. Just speculation on my part, but that move sure looks like a good one for Turkey as well as those worried about Iran (among other things).

I agree that it is a good strategic /tactical move. What I missed was in what context it was being done.

Interesting to me how Turkey is suddenly concerned about Iran having WMDs when they backed out of supporting the US's efforts to keep Saddam from possessing/developing them.

I must assume "commando" means something different in Turkey than it does here since they are basically being deployed as regular ground troops.

GunnyL said:
I agree that it is a good strategic /tactical move. What I missed was in what context it was being done.

Interesting to me how Turkey is suddenly concerned about Iran having WMDs when they backed out of supporting the US's efforts to keep Saddam from possessing/developing them.

I must assume "commando" means something different in Turkey than it does here since they are basically being deployed as regular ground troops.

Those 'commando' troops are equivalent to US rangers (ala WWII). This move also makes sense in light of Iran's interference in Iraq and Syria's stance and actions. This move just makes sense all around from a Turkish and Western allies perspective.

CSM said:
Those 'commando' troops are equivalent to US rangers (ala WWII). This move also makes sense in light of Iran's interference in Iraq and Syria's stance and actions. This move just makes sense all around from a Turkish and Western allies perspective.

True....IF that is the motivator. Call me skeptical, but it seems to me Turkey has displayed a lot more interest in taking care of just Turkey than being part of the "Western allies."

If they want to ante up and play in the game and do the right thing, even if not for what we consider the right reasons, the more the merrier. But I think I'm going to hang on to some cynicism until proven unfounded.

GunnyL said:
True....IF that is the motivator. Call me skeptical, but it seems to me Turkey has displayed a lot more interest in taking care of just Turkey than being part of the "Western allies."

If they want to ante up and play in the game and do the right thing, even if not for what we consider the right reasons, the more the merrier. But I think I'm going to hang on to some cynicism until proven unfounded.

I don't blame Turkey for taking care of Turkish interests first. I wish the US would do the same. Some skepticism is a good thing. Nothing wrong with being prepared.

CSM said:
I don't blame Turkey for taking care of Turkish interests first. I wish the US would do the same. Some skepticism is a good thing. Nothing wrong with being prepared.

I will point your attention to the current immigration debacle as the result of Americans trying to take care of our National interests first. It's close to impossible anymore.

It is my opinion however, having seen the Turks mass at the border before, that ensuring there is no spillover into Turkey if military action is taken against Iran is their true motive. I just don't see Turkey as an active participant in any military action against Iran.

But, I could be wrong. It's happened once or twice. :laugh:

GunnyL said:
I will point your attention to the current immigration debacle as the result of Americans trying to take care of our National interests first. It's close to impossible anymore.

It is my opinion however, having seen the Turks mass at the border before, that ensuring there is no spillover into Turkey if military action is taken against Iran is their true motive. I just don't see Turkey as an active participant in any military action against Iran.

But, I could be wrong. It's happened once or twice. :laugh:
For what it's worth, Stratfor's take:

http://www.stratfor.com/products/premium/read_article.php?id=264426

Turkey: Fighting Internal and External Battles
April 06, 2006 00 22 GMT

Summary

Turkey's government is responding with an iron-fist policy to a surge in Kurdish separatist violence. Both sides' moves place the ruling Justice and Development (AK) Party in a difficult spot between domestic critics and those within the European Union. In its actions on the Kurdish issue, AK's domestic interests will take precedence over foreign policy.

Analysis

An explosion rocked the offices of Turkey's ruling Justice and Development (AK) Party in the outskirts of Istanbul on April 5, injuring two people. Also April 5, two soldiers died while on patrol in the mountains of Sirnak province near the Iraqi border when they stepped on a landmine planted by the rebel separatist Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK). Three more were shot dead in an ambush as troops launched an operation to hunt down those responsible for the mine attack. Late April 4, two PKK militants shot shoulder-fired rockets at a police station in the southeastern province of Bingol, killing one policeman and injuring seven others. Security personnel also defused a grenade attached to 1.5 kilograms (3.3 pounds) of plastic explosives at the scene. These attacks came after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan called for national unity as Ankara sought to halt rioting from Kurdish protesters which left 16 people dead. In a speech to parliament on April 4, Erdogan condemned the PKK, accusing it of being behind the protests.

Kurdish separatist forces, sensing that Ankara's bid to gain membership in the European Union and the Kurds' rise to power in Iraq have created an opportunity, are trying to advance their interests by forcing the government to deal with their demands. Not only does the AK government not want to give the Kurds ground, but this specific government must also demonstrate that its policy on the Kurdish issue is not lax. Domestically, Erdogan needs to maintain a "Tough on Kurds" attitude to offset criticism from the secular opposition and keep generals from raising their eyebrows. Therefore, negotiations with the Kurds will not happen any time soon.

Although Erdogan is concerned about the adverse effects that an ironfisted approach to the Kurds could have on Ankara's bid for EU membership, a more pressing issue is trying to sustain and even enhance his hold over power at home, especially since both parliamentary and presidential elections are to take place in 2007 (in November and May, respectively). In a sense, Erdogan has to balance domestic policy and foreign policy. Erdogan hopes to use the European Union's hard-line stance against terrorism to contain any criticism from the Europeans that Ankara is engaged in human- and civil-rights abuses.

The AK wants to not only maintain its majority in parliament but also capture the presidency. Between these domestic concerns and the uncertainty in neighboring Iraq, Ankara will put European concerns on the back burner and continue to uphold an uncompromising position on the Kurdish question.

Forum List

Back