Soldier's Letter To John Kerry

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
Dear Senator Kerry:

Since it has become clear that you will probably be the Democratic nominee for President, I have spent a great deal of time researching your war record and your record as a professional politician. The reason is simple; you aspire to be the Commander-in-Chief who would lead my sons and their fellow soldiers in time of war. I simply wanted to know if you possess the necessary qualifications to be trusted in that respect.

You see, I belong to a family of proud U.S. veterans. I was a Captain in the Army Reserve, my father was a decorated Lieutenant in World War II, and I have four sons who have either served, or are currently serving in the military. The oldest is an Army Lieutenant still on active duty in Afghanistan after already being honored for his service in Iraq. The youngest is an E-4 with the military police. His National Guard unit just finished their second tour of active duty, including six months in Guantanamo Bay. My two other sons have served in the National Guard and the Navy.

In looking at your record I found myself comparing it not only to that of my father and my sons, but to the people they served with. My father served with the 87th Chemical Mortar Battalion in Europe. They landed on Utah Beach and fought for 317 straight days including the Cherbourg Peninsula, Aachen, the Heurtgen Forest, and the Battle of the Bulge. You received a Silver Star in Vietnam for chasing down and finishing off a wounded and retreating enemy soldier. My father earned a Bronze Star for single handedly charging and knocking out a German machine gun nest that had his men pinned down. You received three purple hearts for what appear to be three minor scratches. In fact, you only missed a combined total of two days of duty for these wounds. The men of my father's unit, the 87th, had to be admonished by their commanding officer because:
"It has been brought to our attention that some men are covering up wounds and refusing medical attention for fear of being evacuated and permanently separated from this organization...."
It was also a common problem for seriously wounded soldiers to go AWOL from hospitals in order to rejoin their units. You used your three purple hearts to leave Vietnam early.

My oldest boy came home from Iraq with numerous commendations and then proceeded to volunteer to go to Afghanistan and from there back to Iraq again. My sons and father have never had anything but the highest regard and respect for their fellow soldiers. Yet, you came home to publicly charge our fighting men with being war criminals and to urge their defeat by the enemy. You even wrote a book that had a cover which mocked the heroism of the United States Marines who raised the flag on Iwo Jima. Our current crop of soldiers has a philosophy that no one gets left behind, and they have practiced that from Somalia to the battlefields of the Middle East. Yet as chairman of a Senate committee looking into allegations that many of your fellow servicemen had been left behind as prisoners in Vietnam, you chose to defend the brutal Vietnamese regime. You even went so far as to refer to the families of the POWs and MIAs as professional malcontents, conspiracy mongers, con artists, and dime store Rambos.

As a Senator you voted against the 1991 Gulf War, and have repeatedly voted against funds to supply our troops with the best equipment, and against money to improve our intelligence capability. I find this particularly ironic since as a Presidential candidate you are highly critical of our pre-war intelligence in Iraq. However, you did vote to authorize the President to go to war, but have since proceeded to do everything you can to undermine the efforts of our government and our troops to win. Is this what our fighting men and women can expect of you if you are their Commander-in-Chief? Will you gladly send them to war, only to then aid the enemy by undermining the morale of our troops and cutting off the weapons they need to win?

Our country is at war, Senator, and as has been the case in every war since the American Revolution, a member of my family is serving their country during the war. Now you want me to trust you to lead my sons in this fight.

Sorry Senator, but when I compare your record to those who have fought and died for this nation, and are currently fighting and dying, the answer is not just no, but Hell No!

Sincerely,

Michael Connelly
Dallas, Texas
February 14, 2004

http://www.gohotsprings.com/focus/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=834

Yet as chairman of a Senate committee looking into allegations that many of your fellow servicemen had been left behind as prisoners in Vietnam, you chose to defend the brutal Vietnamese regime. You even went so far as to refer to the families of the POWs and MIAs as professional malcontents, conspiracy mongers, con artists, and dime store Rambos.
Even if you defend how Kerry accused veterans of atrocities, I don't see how you can defend this.

Great letter.

I think most agree that, and this really isn't an opinion but a fact, that John Kerry is a mouse.

He points the finger at everyone, even his wife before taking responsibility for himself.
He accuses everyone of everything and then has the nerve to say he isn't running a negative camp...does this man have any idea what is doing or what???

He then brags and brags ect about his militarty record in Nam which is now open to a lot of questions about how much of a hero this man really was per himself.

If I were an anti Bush and had no intentions of voting for Bush or Nader, I wouldn't vote at all in this election. Kerry is poor, weak and sad excuse for a man lest of all as leader of this country.

This is a wonderful piece of political propoganga which is factual only by virtue of the fact that it refers to SOME of the facts, but far less than all.

John Kerry fought in Vietnam , he was awarded medals, he saw SOME American soldiers acting in a manner which brought disgrace to the land and people he loves. It was his patriotic duty to protest against these crimes.

George W Bush did not serve his country in Vietnam. George W Bush partied for his country.

Now George W Bush sends young American men and women to war in Iraq. These soldiers are under resourced and inadequately armed. George W Bush refuses to acknowledge their sacrifices and has made it a breach of military discipline to photograph the coffins of the dead . Almost 700 American soldiers have died . It would be politically inconvenient to acknowledge the dead , so ignore them , appears to be George W Bushes response.

John Kerry fought for his country, he saw friends and comrades die for his country. John Kerry , with his experience of war , sees war as a last resort. John Kerry ,unlike George W Bush, does not wish to place American soldiers at risk with out good cause .

John Kerry,like any good leader , accepts responsibility for his actions. George W Bush takes the advice of his cabinet and , if something goes wrong , has convenient fall guys.

This is a wonderful piece of political propoganga which is factual only by virtue of the fact that it refers to SOME of the facts, but far less than all.

This is 100% accurate. Can you dispute any of it?

John Kerry fought in Vietnam , he was awarded medals, he saw SOME American soldiers acting in a manner which brought disgrace to the land and people he loves. It was his patriotic duty to protest against these crimes.

According to Mr. Dipshit Kerry, he witnessed American Soldiers murder, rape and torture. He's a piece of dog shit. He put our soldiers in peril and is nothing more than a traitor.

George W Bush did not serve his country in Vietnam. George W Bush partied for his country.

George Bush served his country honorably and was honorably discharged from the military. Can you prove otherwise?

Now George W Bush sends young American men and women to war in Iraq. These soldiers are under resourced and inadequately armed. George W Bush refuses to acknowledge their sacrifices and has made it a breach of military discipline to photograph the coffins of the dead .

Get a clue and get your facts straight. First you retards will whine about the cost of the war and now claim it's under resourced. The policy of the photographs is a Pentagon policy and has been in place LONG before Bush ever became president. Do you always spout bullshit like this?

Almost 700 American soldiers have died . It would be politically inconvenient to acknowledge the dead , so ignore them , appears to be George W Bushes response.

He has acknowldeged the dead and their families time and time again. Seems as if this garbage you are typing is the propaganda.

John Kerry fought for his country, he saw friends and comrades die for his country. John Kerry , with his experience of war , sees war as a last resort. John Kerry ,unlike George W Bush, does not wish to place American soldiers at risk with out good cause .

John Kerry first tried to weasel out of vietnam by trying to go to France. While in Vietnam he threatened his crew with court martial because they had the audacity to fire upon the enemy that fired on their boat first. Another time he retreated for no good reason leaving other soldiers in danger. He routinely kept his boat miles off shore as to avoid combat. I suggest you once again get your facts straight.

John Kerry,like any good leader , accepts responsibility for his actions. George W Bush takes the advice of his cabinet and , if something goes wrong , has convenient fall guys.

This is literally laughable. This piece of crap has waffled, flipp flopped and lied about more issues than any man alive. Has he taken responsibility for the medals he threw away in 1971? Nope, he LIES and states he never said that. Funny how this was all caught on tape.

Nice piece of garbage you just wrote.

I again say that I have serious doubts about Senator Kerry's record, especially about his PH claims. He seems to move pretty good for a guy wounded 3 times,but that is just my opinion. I am not saying he did not earn his medals, but there is always abuse of awards such as these. Has there been any confirmation of the allegations and statements made in this open letter? That # of PH's will get you out of the fighting,but I have seen some of the vets who earned that many medals, they are usually in bad shape.

According to Mr. Dipshit Kerry, he witnessed American Soldiers murder, rape and torture. He's a piece of dog shit. He put our soldiers in peril and is nothing more than a traitor.

Do you dispute that John Kerry saw soldiers acting in a way that would disgrace America , or is your problem that he had the moral courage to report it

He has acknowldeged the dead and their families time and time again..

Sure he did . That is why he did not go to any of their funerals

First you retards will whine about the cost of the war and now claim it's under resourced
Bush is the man in power. He controls the allocation of funds ! In calling for consistency maybe you should consider your own position

George Bush served his country honorably and was honorably discharged from the military. Can you prove otherwise?

Bush was honorably discharged from the military ,true. However HE seems to have a problem proving where he was or what he was doing for a considerable part of his National Guard service.

John Kerry first tried to weasel out of vietnam by trying to go to France. While in Vietnam he threatened his crew with court martial because they had the audacity to fire upon the enemy that fired on their boat first. Another time he retreated for no good reason leaving other soldiers in danger. He routinely kept his boat miles off shore as to avoid combat

The US Military may have many faults , but handing out medals for standing out to sea while fighting is going on is not one they are commonly accused of.

Do you dispute that John Kerry saw soldiers acting in a way that would disgrace America , or is your problem that he had the moral courage to report it

The FACT remains that he reported something unfounded that has never been substantiated. My problem is with him making stuff up and people like you later spouting it off as fact.

One need not attend funerals to honor the fallen. He is running the country after all.

Bush is the man in power. He controls the allocation of funds ! In calling for consistency maybe you should consider your own position

I think the war HAS been properly funded and I'm confident more will shortly be on the way. Talk to Kerry and make sure he doesn't vote against continued funding like he's done in the past.

Bush was honorably discharged from the military ,true. However HE seems to have a problem proving where he was or what he was doing for a considerable part of his National Guard service.

Records were released. The National Guard themselves have stated he was honorably discharged. He has provided paychecks. Do you think they are in the habit of paying non attending soldiers? Face it, you have absolutely nothing, and yet you'll accuse the soldier who wrote the letter of propaganda. :rolleyes:

The US Military may have many faults , but handing out medals for standing out to sea while fighting is going on is not one they are commonly accused of.

His purple hearts are in question by those that witnessed his wounds first hand. That is indisputable. Facts that he released last week have been proven to be lies. He claimed to be on boat #94 aat a particular time in combat when it's been proven he was not. Whether or not he received the medals was not the question. The fact that he threatened his own men with court martial for defending themselves was. The fact that he stayed offshore to avoid combat was. The fact that he once retreated leaving his men in danger was.

I notice you avoided my last question. Where are you from and where are you now? Just curious who I am dealing with, I don't see this info in your profile.

Originally posted by bactrian

Yummy, fresh meat.

Most of john kerry's allegations have been proven false.

Bush does not singlehandedly decdie troop funding. When John Kerry has a say about troop funding, he's against it.

Bush's service record has been proven clean time and time again. Even the spin machine is off this issue. Didn't you get the memo?

The FACT remains that he reported something unfounded that has never been substantiated

To my recollection John Kerry was one of a number of ex service men who gave evidence of different incidents which occurred.

Why would John Kerry make it up?

I know! I know !! Post traumatic stress syndrome ____

OR ___ maybe he is a secret Frenchman

One need not attend funerals to honor the fallen.

Who was the last American President who refused to honor the fallen by attending at least one military funeral

He is running the country after all.

And managed to triple the national debt

Records were released. The National Guard themselves have stated he was honorably discharged. He has provided paychecks

No one ever suggested George Bush missed an opportunity to get money , but , why are there so few who remember our little hero

bactrian, your refusal to answer my question is very telling. Allow me to ask it in a different way. Who will you be voting for in the upcoming election?

Lyndon Baines Johnson - According to the Johnson Library, LBJ attended two funerals for soldiers who died during the Vietnam War. The first funeral was for Captain Albert Smith, son of White House correspondent Merriman Smith, which was held February 28, 1966. The second was for Major General Keith R. Ware, held September 17, 1968. LBJ had met Ware while visiting Vietnam.

Richard Nixon - Richard Nixon does not appear to have attended the funerals of any soldiers killed in Vietnam. He did award posthumous medals of honor to the families of several soldiers on 22 April 1971 and on several other occasions. On Veterans day in 1971 he visited the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington Cemetery. In 1973 he met with the family of Colonel William Nolde after the colonel was buried in Arlington Cemetery. Colonel Nolde was killed on January 27th, the night before the cease-fire went into effect.

Jimmy Carter - According to the New York Times, Jimmy Carter attended a memorial service for the soldiers killed in the failed rescue of America hostages in Iran in 1980.

Ronald Reagan - Ronald Reagan attended memorial services on several occasions for American soldiers. In 1983 he attended a service at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, in connection with the bombing of the Marine barracks in Beirut, which cost the lives of 241 people. In 1987 he attended a service at Mayport Naval Station in Florida for the sailors killed on the USS Stark.

George H.W. Bush - President George Herbert Walker Bush does not appear to have attended any funerals for American soldiers. (The NYT, citing Marlin Fitzwater as a source, indicated that the president did attend several such funerals. But no details were provided.)

Bill Clinton - Bill Clinton attended a service in October 2000 in memory of the 17 sailors killed in the attack on the USS Cole.

After the terrorist bombing the Murrah building in downtown Oklahoma City he publicly grieved with the families of the victims at an event that was regarded at the time as a turning point in his presidency.

http://www.hnn.us/articles/1784.html

Originally posted by bactrian

There is old footage out now, the Dick Cavett show from '71 perhaps? Kerry is debating across from fellow comrad O'neill (who is coming out again with this story) and Kerry states then that he did not witness any war crimes.

When this subject is brought up to Kerry, naturally he blames Bush...

So pay attention to whats going on .... a lot of truths of what Kerry says he did then are arising as exagerations or fabrications.
You can argue that all of this happened decades ago and that would fine except for the fact that Kerry began this in the first place. If you are going to put yourself up on a pedastal than you had better deserve it and be a man and face the truth - because it WILL come back to haunt you.
Turning every single issue into blastphamy of Bush only makes this man look more incapable of handling any issue...lest of all issueing about this country. If Kerry cannot talk truth to his own - discuss any issue with slandering Bush than how will he handle foreign affairs? Certainly dealing with other countries will be far more difficult than dealing with your own??? Just how can a man who cannot answer a question about himself without blaming someone else, lead this country? How???

bactrian, you have been back 3x since I've asked you this question. Why are you avoiding answering?

IF anyone out there thinks the system for authorizing medals is not horribly abused,think again. I met a guy who had been a mail clerk in Rihyad in '90-'91 who recieved the Bronze Star for "surviving the SCUD attacks"...rrriiiggghhhttt....

Originally posted by JIHADTHIS
Kerry again gets caught with his pants down, go figure. The Kerry campaign can't possible be this incompetent can it?

Thank you for ruining my might and putting that awful picture in my head.

Forum List

Back