Soldiers Critisize Democrats - But, Surprise - Dems Don't Recall Or Won't Comment

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
Soldiers from Massachusetts and Hawaii who work at the U.S. military detention facility at U.S. Naval Base Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, gave visiting home-state senators a piece of their mind last week.
Sens. Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts Democrat, and Daniel K. Akaka, Hawaii Democrat, met with several soldiers during a visit led by Armed Services Committee Chairman Sen. John W. Warner, Virginia Republican.
Pentagon officials said soldiers criticized the harsh comments made recently by Senate Democrats.
Sen. Richard J. Durbin of Illinois, the Senate's No. 2 Democrat, last month invoked widespread military outrage when he compared Guantanamo to the prison labor systems used by communist tyrant Josef Stalin, Cambodia's Pol Pot and Adolf Hitler.
"They got stiff reactions from those home-state soldiers," one official told us. "The troops down there expressed their disdain for that kind of commentary, especially comparisons to the gulag."
A spokesman for Mr. Kennedy had no comment. A spokeswoman for Mr. Akaka confirmed that the senator met with soldiers from Hawaii but did not recall receiving any complaints during the meeting.
Both senators made no mention of the incident in press statements after the visit. Mr. Kennedy, in his statement, said that he is "impressed with the courtesies and professionalism of the men and women in our armed forces."
Mr. Kennedy has been a leading advocate for closing the prison facility. Mr. Akaka in April voted for an amendment that would have cut funds for the prison.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/inring.htm

Looks like some soldiers are not going to forget these politicos :clap: Currie is DEFINATELY worth checking out!

Links at site:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2005/06/the_remedy.html

The Remedy

I knew that Durbin's comments would keep reverberating throughout the military community. For all of you that wanted to let it go, there are simply those who will not or cannot let it go.

I think the storm is still gathering on this and still hasn't broken. Half apologies from politicians like Durbin don't amount to the will of those who've served.

And what they are going to find, to the Democrats' dismay, is that there will be an awful lot of war heroes coming home...and they just might run for office. Democrat or Republican. Independit or Libertarian.

For example, Illinois has had a lot of Soldiers and Marines deployed in the War on Terror. The Mad Ghosts (2/24 Marines) that I featured here often are from Chicago. I'm sure you'll find some of them interested in the possibilities of removing Durbin from office. Note to Illinois Republican leadership: If you EVER have to look outside of our great state for a political candidate again, then you need to be removed from leadership. Capisce?

After all, not only could a Soldier have the opportunity to try to change things, that Soldier could make a lot more salary, too. Nicer retirement package. Extreme Per Diem. Swimming Pool. Movie stars...um, I digress.

Suffice it to say that not being wet, cold, tired, or hungry ever again would also be a benefit. And our military knows how to make things happen.

Which brings me to the point of this post. For those of you serving, think about who represents you. Are they doing the job that they were hired to do? If not, you may want to follow Rusten Currie's lead.

Keep your eye on this MilBlogger. He's going to go after Maxine Waters' seat in Congress when he gets home.

Currie for Congress!

[thanks to Debbie for the Washington Times link]

Update: I was remiss in not mentioning that I wouldn't be surprised to see Sergeant Missik in office soon.

• Thanks
Reactions: -Cp

Forum List

Back