Nevadamedic

Jul 13, 2007
Diagon Alley
Story Highlights

Pfc. Jesse Spielman was convicted Friday
Sentence was part of a plea agreement his attorneys made with prosecutors
Military prosecutors said Spielman served as a lookout
Three other soldiers have pleaded guilty in the case

Spielman's sister, Paige Gerlach, screamed: "I hate the government. You people put him [in Iraq] and now, this happened."

The case stemmed from the March 12, 2006, rape and slaying of Abeer Qassim al-Janabi, 14, and the killings of her parents and sister. The attack took place in Mahmoudiya, about 20 miles south of Baghdad.

During their courts-martial, Barker and Cortez testified they took turns raping the girl while Green shot and killed her mother, father and younger sister. Green shot the girl in the head after raping her, they said.

The girl's body was set on fire with kerosene to destroy the evidence, according to previous testimony.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/04/arm....ap/index.html

It takes someone extremly sick to rape and kill a 14 year old girl, that is just disgusting. They all should have got the Death Penalty. I don't see why the people who actually committed the crime got less of a sentance then this guy who was just the lookout. Then he get 110 years in prison but can get out on Parole within 10 years? Something is really wrong with the system.

Story Highlights

Pfc. Jesse Spielman was convicted Friday
Sentence was part of a plea agreement his attorneys made with prosecutors
Military prosecutors said Spielman served as a lookout
Three other soldiers have pleaded guilty in the case

Spielman's sister, Paige Gerlach, screamed: "I hate the government. You people put him [in Iraq] and now, this happened."

The case stemmed from the March 12, 2006, rape and slaying of Abeer Qassim al-Janabi, 14, and the killings of her parents and sister. The attack took place in Mahmoudiya, about 20 miles south of Baghdad.

During their courts-martial, Barker and Cortez testified they took turns raping the girl while Green shot and killed her mother, father and younger sister. Green shot the girl in the head after raping her, they said.

The girl's body was set on fire with kerosene to destroy the evidence, according to previous testimony.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/04/arm....ap/index.html

It takes someone extremly sick to rape and kill a 14 year old girl, that is just disgusting. They all should have got the Death Penalty. I don't see why the people who actually committed the crime got less of a sentance then this guy who was just the lookout. Then he get 110 years in prison but can get out on Parole within 10 years? Something is really wrong with the system.

I agree with his sister. If bush hadn't sent him to an unneccessary war, this wouldn't have happened. Spending 12 or 18 months, or two or three tours in a combat zone can really f' with some peoples heads, and bring out their dark side. Otherwise good kids, can be turned into animals if exposed to enough daily violence and danger. That's not to say their aren't a few latent, natural criminals in the army. There are in any large institution. But the circumstances bush put american kids in, can sometimes bring out the worst in a human being.

I agree with his sister. If bush hadn't sent him to an unneccessary war, this wouldn't have happened. Spending 12 or 18 months, or two or three tours in a combat zone can really f' with some peoples heads, and bring out their dark side. Otherwise good kids, can be turned into animals if exposed to enough daily violence and danger. That's not to say their aren't a few latent, natural criminals in the army. There are in any large institution. But the circumstances bush put american kids in, can sometimes bring out the worst in a human being.

I was wondering when a POS Liberal would blame this on President Bush. Why don't you blame it on all of the Liberals in the House that voted for the War as well? Or is it not their fault either? :cuckoo:

I was wondering when a POS Liberal would blame this on President Bush. Why don't you blame it on all of the Liberals in the House that voted for the War as well? Or is it not their fault either? :cuckoo:

Your the one who posted the article. His sister is blaming the government for sending him to Iraq. I think she has a valid point. While there may be a few natural criminals in the army, the situation these guys live in day in and day out, fucks with their head, and can bring out the dark side of their human nature.

If bush hadn't sent him to iraq, he may well have lived a law abiding life in the U.S. I'm not saying for certain. But, its a possibility.

Forum List

Back