Soldier Exercises Free Speech-Gets Arrested

CurveLight

Rookie
Oct 16, 2009
After learning the Military reneged on it's contract to allow Spc Hall out of the Army after serving 4 years he wrote a protest song containing violent lyrics. In response, the military arrested him. Stop Loss has been a quiet thunder for quite a few years. For those who don't know, Soldiers face the ultimate of morose ironies. They voluntarily offer to Sacrifice their lives to defend the Constitution but they themselves have to foreit the Constitution in the process. The UCMJ is the supreme law of their land, not the Constitution. They do not have Freedom of the Press, Expression, or Speech. So the question is this: Should those who Sacrifice their lives defending Free Speech be prosecuted for exercising Free Speech?
Soldier at US base jailed for angry rap song - NewsFlash - al.com

After learning the Military reneged on it's contract to allow Spc Hall out of the Army after serving 4 years he wrote a protest song containing violent lyrics. In response, the military arrested him. Stop Loss has been a quiet thunder for quite a few years. For those who don't know, Soldiers face the ultimate of morose ironies. They voluntarily offer to Sacrifice their lives to defend the Constitution but they themselves have to foreit the Constitution in the process. The UCMJ is the supreme law of their land, not the Constitution. They do not have Freedom of the Press, Expression, or Speech. So the question is this: Should those who Sacrifice their lives defending Free Speech be prosecuted for exercising Free Speech?

soldiers are sheep for the oil companies and other large corporations. they know this when they sign up and that they are donating their birth rights to some CEOs cocaine & prostitutes fund.

• Banned

soldiers are sheep for the oil companies and other large corporations. they know this when they sign up and that they are donating their birth rights to some CEOs cocaine & prostitutes fund.

It's stupid shit like this that causes unnecessary strife. You call soldiers sheep. Why? Is that how you justify the lack of courage to serve? I can't even begin to describe how idiotic and hate filled it is to call volunteer Soldiers "sheep." Many soldiers join right out of high school and are not aware of the shady aspects of the politics relating to the military.

Foreign policies aside, those Soldiers provide you with the Freedom to call them sheep and the large majority are so many light years beyond your childishness they would still courageously give their lives to defend your Right to be an asshole.

I'm sure all those enlisting in the US military know that once in, they trade in their Constitutional rights for the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice). It is the same in the British military, but we additionally have to sign the official secrets act, which is a lifetime covenant. The military is not democratic. It wouldn't work if it were. It always has been so and it will probably be so for evermore.

• Banned
Charges filed against Hall, of South Carolina, on Dec. 17, a week after he was jailed, say his threats weren't just confined to his rap recording. The charging document said he also told soldiers he would "go on a rampage" and that he "was planning on shooting the brigade and battalion commanders."

That's not protected speech.

That is hearsay.

LOL I take it you never had the guts to serve yourself. But I certainly would like to examine your mind reading credentials. Oh and thanks for the completely mindless rant. Good morning.

• Banned

I'm sure all those enlisting in the US military know that once in, they trade in their Constitutional rights for the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice). It is the same in the British military, but we additionally have to sign the official secrets act, which is a lifetime covenant. The military is not democratic. It wouldn't work if it were. It always has been so and it will probably be so for evermore.

Sure. They learn of it after they are already in and are told they cannot do X because it is against the UCMJ even though X is fully supported by the Constitution. Most going in right out of high school are not informed, especially by their recruiters, they are forfeiting the Constitution.

One of the most used arguments by war supporters regarding Iraq was "You don't hear the troops complaining or criticizing Bush!" Obviously the dumbasses didn't know such speech could land a soldier in prison, dishonorably discharged, and forfeiture of all benefits.

Strawman question unless you reveal ver batum the words to his song.

For simply drawing a cartoon, a Dutchman was marked for death. At least the UCMJ will allow this man his day in court.

Charges filed against Hall, of South Carolina, on Dec. 17, a week after he was jailed, say his threats weren't just confined to his rap recording. The charging document said he also told soldiers he would "go on a rampage" and that he "was planning on shooting the brigade and battalion commanders."

That is hearsay.
If witnesses come forth to verify he said it, the court will listen. He could be dishonorably discharged. The military has rules to go by and evidently he erred.

Strawman question unless you reveal ver batum the words to his song.

For simply drawing a cartoon, a Dutchman was marked for death. At least the UCMJ will allow this man his day in court.

That is hearsay.
If witnesses come forth to verify he said it, the court will listen. He could be dishonorably discharged. The military has rules to go by and evidently he erred.

The question is not a strawman. In fact, I don't see how a question can be a strawman. Questions can be guilty of different logical fallacies but a strawman is not one of them. The point of the question is this: should a soldier be prosecuted for lyrics that are as violent as lyrics in rock music that gets played everyday?

So the question is this: Should those who Sacrifice their lives defending Free Speech be prosecuted for exercising Free Speech?

Yes. Here's why. No one forced the soldier to volunteer and sign the contract of enlistment. He should have read the fine print.

By that logic there should be no safety laws in a workplace. If people voluntarily show up for work then their employer can have any kind of conditions they want. It doesn't matter it is a volunteer military. That does not change the purpose of the question.

Sure. They learn of it after they are already in and are told they cannot do X because it is against the UCMJ even though X is fully supported by the Constitution. Most going in right out of high school are not informed, especially by their recruiters, they are forfeiting the Constitution.
You are a total idiot :cuckoo:

So the question is this: Should those who Sacrifice their lives defending Free Speech be prosecuted for exercising Free Speech?

Yes. Here's why. No one forced the soldier to volunteer and sign the contract of enlistment. He should have read the fine print.

By that logic there should be no safety laws in a workplace. If people voluntarily show up for work then their employer can have any kind of conditions they want. It doesn't matter it is a volunteer military. That does not change the purpose of the question.

When you sign the contract, you have given up most free speech rights.

Much of it falls under the category of insubordination.

Wrong. You never served. YOU don't know what the UCMJ, the enlistment contract and the oath of enlistment means to people who serve.

When you sign on the line you better know what you're doing because Uncle Sam HAS GOT YOUR ASS for the length of your contract and can dictate ANYTHING and you must abide or comply...or you WILL end up in prison.

When you sign the contract, you have given up most free speech rights.

Much of it falls under the category of insubordination.

and whatever doesn't falls under Art. 134...the catch all.

This is an interesting discussion. I'm fairly certain if a teacher or a cop or a postal worker, etc. made those comments, they'd be fired. Maybe not prosecuted; but certainly discharged.

But what I find most interesting, is that rap music is even considered protected speech. If someone says, "i'm going to blow your face off muthafucka", it is a terroristic threat. However, if they SING it, it's not. Baffling. :cuckoo:

This is an interesting discussion. I'm fairly certain if a teacher or a cop or a postal worker, etc. made those comments, they'd be fired. Maybe not prosecuted; but certainly discharged.

But what I find most interesting, is that rap music is even considered protected speech. If someone says, "i'm going to blow your face off muthafucka", it is a terroristic threat. However, if they SING it, it's not. Baffling. :cuckoo:

However when representing yourself as a member of the military and saying these things it is no longer considered protected speech. It is considered mutiny at the extreme edge and derelection of duty/failure to maintain good order and dicipline at the least.

Wrong. You never served. YOU don't know what the UCMJ, the enlistment contract and the oath of enlistment means to people who serve.

When you sign on the line you better know what you're doing because Uncle Sam HAS GOT YOUR ASS for the length of your contract and can dictate ANYTHING and you must abide or comply...or you WILL end up in prison.

Whether I served or not is irrelevant. It would not change the purpose of the OP question. You asked me before, on a different thread, if I served and I didn't answer because it wasn't important. But for you to try and say I don't know what the Oath means is bullshit. I signed up on the DEP in 1988 and was at MEPS before the end of June 89', less than two weeks after high school graduation. So now that we know I do know what the Oath means are you going to address the OP or will you continue to focus on me personally?

It's interesting you single out rap. Why? Rock and country has been around longer with lyrics that are every bit as violent.

Forum List

Back